collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Observing Bronies in their Natural Habitat  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Observing Bronies in their Natural Habitat
« on: November 23, 2013, 02:57:22 AM »
Alternative subject line: Infiltrating the Herd

(This is just a joke pls don't kill me XD )

I went to a sci-fi and and fantasy literature convention this past year in Boston and I wanted to share some observations I made while attending a brony panel. I was actually really surprised when I got to the convention, checked the schedule, and saw a panel called My Little Brony on Sunday afternoon. Even though I don't consider myself a brony, I went out of curiosity. (If anyone here was at that panel, I apologize that I might have come off as rude when I spoke up. I was very exhausted at that point, after staying up all weekend talking to other writers.)

First, the room wasn't set up like a regular panel room, it was a conference room with a long table in the center and 15 or so chairs around it. We ended up having about 20-25 people in the room, so 10 people had to stand in the back. The head speaker was a little smug about this, she told us when she tried to set up the panel the con committee was doubtful and only gave her this little room. So as we got started she told us, "Well now you can see the brony fandom is obviously bigger than anyone thought it was going to be, so you guys should all tell the con committee next year we're going to need a bigger room."

(Personally I thought the reason was not because they doubted the brony popularity but because MLP really doesn't have a lot to do with fantasy or science fiction literature. But I kept that thought to myself. XD )

I was actually very surprised by who showed up at the panel. The three speakers of the panel were all women, two were older than me and one was about my age. The older ones had actually gotten into FiM because theirs teenage sons watched the show. The panel speaker that was my age got into the show on her own. None of them were interested in MLP before FiM.

Everyone says bronies are predominantly male but at this panel, there was about 23 people in the audience. Almost all of them were adult women. 3 of the 23 were men. And out of all 23, only 3 were children.

Now I don't think this count perfectly mirrors real life. There weren't a lot of young kids at the convention. Science fiction and fantasy lit was really big in the 80's really and these people have been coming to this convention since then. It was mostly an adult crowd there for the weekend, but some of the con-goers did bring their whole families so it wasn't like there were absolutely no kids running around.

But it's true I was surprised at the lack of guys at the panel! It's not like there were no men at this fantasy convention! Yeah there are a lot of female writers but attend a convention like this and you'll see it's still very much a 'man's world' in genre publishing these days.

I thought it was going to be at least 50/50 girls and guys. But no, out of 23 in the audience only three of them were guys. (Two were adults, one was a teenage boy.) All three of them were pretty quiet throughout the panel.

Although, I thought this was really cute: just before the panel began one guy came in, a father, and asked if he could set up a little video camera on a tripod in the corner because his daughter couldn't attend the convention but really wanted to see this specific panel. And so the head speaker said that was fine, the guy set up the camera in the corner and then left. He didn't stay for the panel, but he came back after it was over to get his camera. Haha so I thought that was cute!

So anyway, the head panelist began by asking how many people were attending because they were bronies and how many came because they were curious after friends or family had been talking about the show. About 7 people raised their hands, so about 7 out of 23 didn't know much about MLP and were only there to check out the phenomenon.

The panelists started the panel by talking a little bit about MLP. She talked about John de Lancie who is a famous sci fi actor, so that was one tie-in to the convention. There was a little bit of dissing of the earlier gens going on. Specifically, all three panelists started talking about how awesome the new show is and how stupid the one from the 80's was. I immediately cut in with a really offended tone of voice and told them I had been collecting since the 80's and there was a lot of good things about the earlier generations, and they kinda let up after that. (I was probably kinda short with them because like I said it had been a long weekend and I was functioning on little sleep. I'm sorry if anyone was there and had to put up with the interruption.)

So they were pretty polite after that except for this one person in the audience who was like a grandmother type with white hair and she burst out into this rant about how horrible cartoons were in the 80's and especially hating on MLP and She-Ra and I don't understand what her issue was... Maybe she was a troll or something.

Some other interesting things that were discussed at the panel was the talk about how Rainbow Dash has become a symbol for people in the military (especially the air force) who don't quite fit in. They were saying how, if you thought high school had cliques, try being in the military! You can't be a nerd in the air force, you have to be "one of the guys." So it was very interesting that these people in the air force were secretly fans of Rainbow Dash and they were putting tiny little rainbow cutie mark patches on their flight suits or had like a blind bag of rainbow dash in the cockpit or something. They're doing these little tiny ways of showing their appreciation of the show. I liked that.

And then one other thing they talked about is that they wanted to make it so that when you go to a convention we wanted secret ways for bronies to recognize one another and help each other out. They wanted to start this thing where you would wear a button to symbolize your character traits to other bronies. Like, if you were a person who was really outgoing and friendly and wanted to meet new people you would wear a Pinkie Pie badge, or if you were someone who had some sewing skills and wanted to help people if their cosplay was damaged in travel or something, you would wear a Rarity badge. It would symbolize that other people could reach out to you for help with their costumes.

It should also be noted I was the only one at the panel who been interested in MLP before FiM came out. I asked around before it started if anyone else liked MLP before FiM came out, and no one responded.

So yeah, that was about it. It was an interesting group. I don't necessarily consider myself a brony after this panel any more than I did before it. (The little bit of hating going on for the older gen I didn't really appreciate.) And some of the things they talked about I thought was silly... like how the panelists were going on and on about how this was an amazing, revolutionary show and how it's going to change all cartoons for the future, like it's some groundbreaking thing for entertainment... which I think is an exaggeration.

But hey, to each their own. Pretty much I just wanted to make a post on the Arena about my experience because there were some really interesting concepts I was exposed to during this panel, and I was especially surprised at the number of adult females in attendance and lack of teenagers and just males in general. Definitely a learning experience. :)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Snapdragon

• Trade Count: (+103)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Observing Bronies in their Natural Habitat
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2013, 06:35:28 AM »
Wow, only three guys? At a sci-fi con?? Hard to imagine! But I really wish I had been there, I would love to see that kind of gender split in the panels I go to! ;) (I've only been to a couple though, so maybe I've just been unlucky?)

I'm glad that you spoke up about the early-gen bashing though! It really miffs me when people try to prop up FiM by bashing other older shows. It's okay to think both shows are good, you know! :P

It sounds like a fun panel overall! I wouldn't mind having more one-on-one type panels, most of the ones I've seen aren't very interactive. :(
Commissions and sales are currently closed due to pandemic.~*~Sales!~*~Want List ~*~JAFFACAKE!

Offline Falconaitae

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2013, 07:05:21 AM »
You see, you entered the lion's cave and it didn't eat you ;)
It's similar thing where I live, MLP is invading all sci-fi and fantasy conventions (not that I mind it). And also, the room is always, and I mean ALWAYS too small :P
As for demographics, here it's usually around 1/3 women and 2/3 men, ages between 15 - 25 (I'm 31 and I'm feeling a bit like a grandpa :P ).
It's interesting, that most of girls here do remember the G1 show (which was aired couple of times in polish television) and often have good memories about it.
These panels are usually more laid off than usual panels, with less talking and more activities, like pony knowledge contests or even games like pin a pony tail :P Over all quite fun, the only problem is that I'm feeling old on such events ><
My pony blog
It's better to be a famous drunkard, than an anonymous alcoholic

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2013, 07:10:47 AM »
Sounds interesting! Especially how many women sat in on the panel - I will admit that surprises me from my perception of the general demographic of the brony community.

I think every fandom raises the self belief the thing they follow/love is "ground breaking" and "amazing" even though its often a reincarnation of something which already is released. In many ways the FiM fandom follows all the same traits as every other fandom out there.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 09:26:29 AM »
I am also surprised that there were no more guys there! Sad to hear they are bashing the G1 ponies :(

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 11:21:09 AM »
I will eventually do a full reply to the whole original post, but I'm tired now, and probably won't be awake for long.

As a brony though, I will say I have notice that many non bronies often expect it to be a predominantly male fandom, but it is not.  I think it's because this is the first time the male fans got a lot of exposure, so it gets exaggerated, I guess.  It's like how people assume that "brony" is a male only term, when it is not.  Admittedly the term "pegasister" does not help matters.

I am also sorry about the G1 hate, several bronies are unfortunately uneducated, but there are some of us who know that all generations were awesome in their own way.

Full reply on its way.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 08:19:56 PM »
I will eventually do a full reply to the whole original post, but I'm tired now, and probably won't be awake for long.

As a brony though, I will say I have notice that many non bronies often expect it to be a predominantly male fandom, but it is not.  I think it's because this is the first time the male fans got a lot of exposure, so it gets exaggerated, I guess.  It's like how people assume that "brony" is a male only term, when it is not.  Admittedly the term "pegasister" does not help matters.

I am also sorry about the G1 hate, several bronies are unfortunately uneducated, but there are some of us who know that all generations were awesome in their own way.

Full reply on its way.

The only thing about saying its not a predominately male fandom is that there are all these "scientific" brony polls and  reports and every single one to date states categorically that the majority of bronies are male and in the 15-25 age group. While I don't doubt that there are a lot of female bronies, I doubt very much they are in the majority or even approaching equal numbers.
Loa is my love god!

Offline elish2

• Trade Count: (+95)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • As you Wish
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:51 PM »
The fact that not too many guys showed up is interesting, but I do agree that bashing earlier gens is uncouth. Where do they think their show came from? It is based off of an original idea from the 1980's. FiM is just a recreation, just like they are doing with almost all the 80's cartoons, (Thundercats, Transformers, TMNT, Strawberry Shortcake, etc). SO I do not get why people would bash the prior successfulness of the genre?
elish22 | eBay
Thanks Kissthethunder for my Avatar!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2013, 01:00:40 AM »
You sound like you have a saint's patience...  I would have started howling in hysterical laughter at their attitude.  *blush*
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Iris Patch

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2013, 01:09:05 AM »
"And some of the things they talked about I thought was silly... like how the panelists were going on and on about how this was an amazing, revolutionary show and how it's going to change all cartoons for the future, like it's some groundbreaking thing for entertainment... which I think is an exaggeration."

Yes, I have noticed this as well- a common theme with bronies. it's very silly! I understand this is probably the first time many of these people have let themselves watch an emotional children's cartoon as an adult, but they elevate it beyond what it is.

I semi-regularly hang out with bronies, just like any fan group, you have the majority of people who are chill and fun, then a vocal minority of overly obsessed fans who take things to extremes.

Offline Starfall

• Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 01:21:22 AM »
I have very little patience with con panel people. They think they're experts, but in actual fact they come across like Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

DavidC

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 01:27:56 AM »
I think Bronies are like other Fandoms that reach a "cultural" critical mass - like Star Trek in the '70s - in that the "exposure" in the media exaggerates everything about it. There are some really negative "Bronies" just as there are really yucky Fanboys and -girls in anime, in Trek, and in sports.

Some points - I don't get the G1 hate either. I'm an absolute beginner, but I've seen beautiful G1 Ponies on the Arena and the TP, and I appreciate them and want to learn more. When you think about it, the G4 Brushables don't look anything like the Flash Animation characters either, so it isn't just "my cartoon is better than yours". So, I really don't know.

- I know a few female Bronies. In fact, a girl I met at an anime show got me into FiM. She's a US Army officer and totally into G4, especially Rainbow Dash. She prefers the term "Brony". The only person I know that says Pegasister is my former BFF that is the guy that's embarassed that *I* like Ponies.

- Like any emergent fandom, the Bronies are telling people what it means to them by how they act. I'm not speaking of the really yucky "Rule 34" junk, I mean the idea that Rainbow Dash is very popular in the military, and the way that Fluttershy is such an icon for male Bronies. Hint: it's about inclusion, and acceptance of themselves. Being male in America at least, is confusing. A man gets so many mixed messages by the time he's an adult, that it's hard to know who we are and where to fit in. Friendship is Magic is speaking to that. Each of the Mane 6 is a facet of my personality. I think that *this* is why male Bronies especially talk about FiM as "amazing", "unprecedented", and all that - to us, it *is*. I've never fit in anywhere, myself. I'm a strange mix. I love tanks, and military jets, and horse cavalry. I knew I wanted to be a Marine at 5 years old, when the first "real" book I read was Dick Tregaskis' "Guadalcanal Diary". (Unfortunately, my poor health kept me out). I can talk Napoleon, World War 2, or modern wars, for hours. On the other hand, I played Barbie with my older sister, and I love fashions and cosmetics. I subscribe to Allure magazine and I'm the only man I know that watches "Yes to the Dress". Where do I fit in? I'm burned out on Football and Baseball, but I love watching Figure Skating and Gymnastics. And yes, I came out Bi last year. So where do I fit in? So far, only in Equestria.

That's why it's unfortunate that some Bronies are exclusionary towards earlier Ponies. It's like they haven't processed the lesson. There is room for Everypony. :)

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 01:48:32 AM »
Pretty awesome summary DavidC! Thanks so much for sharing that - its a really interesting perspective!
Loa is my love god!

Offline Elisto

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 02:14:36 AM »
Huh, I'm surprised there were so many women too because I've gone to maybe 2 brony meets at anime conventions, and they were almost entirely guys. Well that's pretty cool that more women are going too.

DavidC

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 03:13:59 AM »
Pretty awesome summary DavidC! Thanks so much for sharing that - its a really interesting perspective!

Your Welcome. :)

Most of the male Bronies I've met are the shy, quiet Fluttershy fans, but it seems like a few louder obnoxious guys are messing it up for the majority. I love that idea in the original post of wearing a Cutie Mark badge to identify what "kind" of Brony we are. I could totally see that catching on at Cons. :)

I staffed a couple big Anime Cons in Colorado, but it's been like 8 years since I've gone. Cons seem to bring out the best and the worst in Fans. I only stopped really, because I don't relate to current anime that well. I'd probably go to a BronyMLP Con if there was one in CO. So far, almost all the Pony fans I've met have been good folks. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal