collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro just blocked RaMC on Youtube  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Aquatic Neon

• Trade Count: (+86)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Hasbro just blocked RaMC on Youtube
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 12:27:47 PM »
I know this will sound crazy and I don't even know if I believe it, but a guy I work with has a second job where they remaster old movies, with current graphics, and helps create new parts of cartoons and movies. Anyways I was talking to him one day (he doesn't know I like ponies) He said that they has worked on the old Care Bears episodes where they were being re-released in HD or something, and I asked them if they were doing any others and he said My Little Pony as well, I asked the new shows, he said no the ones from the 80's. I asked him if it was all the episodes, he said no just a few episodes were being remade, maybe G1 episodes with G4 graphics? How cool would that be to see, probably would mean more G1 ponies being released too! Hard to tell exactly what he was talking about though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

For Sale Wants

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 12:52:10 PM »
I don't understand why they can't make it available legitimately. I mean even if there is not enough demand for a DVD run, why not make it available on iTunes or Netflix?
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

WrittenEmber

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 02:01:18 PM »
I watch old movies and TV shows on YouTube all the time, and it seems pretty common that they get taken down in occasional "sweeps". I suspect the process is at least partially computerized, too, because which videos go down and which stay up can sometimes seem really random.

I don't think there's anything wrong with people uploading this stuff, especially seeing as it is not available as any kind of current release. It would be sad if all of these old shows/movies just vanished, never to be seen or heard from again. And I agree with several earlier comments that in may ways, this type of continued exposure is good for the brand and actually gives it a boost.

But I also understand why Hasbro, and many other copyright holders, ask to have videos taken down. I think they are just trying to set a precedent, so that they can say "yes, we object to the unofficial distribution of our content, and will respond accordingly". They certainly aren't as aggressive about it as they could be, if they wanted to.

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 06:51:02 PM »
I'm praying for a rerelease of the DVD box set! Maybe hasbro saw the current price it's going for and wants to get in on that again. Plus with the release of the firefly book, maybe we will see a DVD if ramc!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Tirac

« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2013, 06:55:14 AM »
I was going to make my own thread about this because it really hurt me at 4 in the morning two days ago when I realized it but I see this thread already exists.

LM1313, was the one who's video I would watch. Even though I own two copies of the VHS it was their video I would always go to whenever I needed to watch RaMC again because I was sad. Now I fear I will have to resort to my old worn VHS tapes that might get too worn out if I want to watch the full version.  :cry:

I am really REALLY hoping we see a full version DVD and Blueray release seeing as I would buy a blueray player for the sole purpose of watching it.

But taking down the youtube video that I use to make myself feel better so much I guess I'm a bit vengeful and will be breathing down their backs, expecting bonus features like cast interviews and new merchandice. :yikes:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2013, 01:29:56 AM »
I wouldn't count on a DVD re-release-  honestly Hasbro HAS to take them down every once in a while to protect their copyrights- really, that's just how the law works.  If you know about it and don't care, than you lose the right to enforce your copyright in the future.

Just look for a more newly uploaded one - one with fewer views.  I'm sure they target the "most viewed" first.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2013, 02:41:00 AM »
I found out my Escape from Catrina Review was blocked worldwide but not the Rescue at Midnight Castle review (yet).  I've disputed the claim on grounds of fair use, so we'll have to see what comes of it.

If this is because they intend to re-release the old series (and hopefully the specials uncut) I'll be go to Hasbro and thank the whoever's responsible personally.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2013, 06:11:33 AM »
I've disputed the claim on grounds of fair use, so we'll have to see what comes of it.

Putting a movie you don't own on Youtube is not fair use. "Fair use" is showing a short clip from a movie as part of a film review. "Fair use" is writing an academic paper about a book and including excerpts from the book to illustrate your point. Stop trying to justify your copyright violations with terms you clearly have no understanding of.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline Jocelyn

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 06:25:45 AM »
I've disputed the claim on grounds of fair use, so we'll have to see what comes of it.

Putting a movie you don't own on Youtube is not fair use. "Fair use" is showing a short clip from a movie as part of a film review.

I don't know the content of the video Al-1701 is referring to, but he did call it "Escape from Catrina review." I agree there isn't much justification in claiming fair use when you just reupload a movie or cartoon show, but (and I apologize if I'm wrong!) Al may not be doing necessarily that.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 06:27:41 AM by Jocelyn »

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2013, 06:37:44 AM »

Putting a movie you don't own on Youtube is not fair use. "Fair use" is showing a short clip from a movie as part of a film review. "Fair use" is writing an academic paper about a book and including excerpts from the book to illustrate your point. Stop trying to justify your copyright violations with terms you clearly have no understanding of.

-Tabby
the princess with claws
It's a REVIEW which puts it under the section of commentary as well as parody of fair use which protects my first amendment right to critique without the creator trying to censor my possibly negative opinion using copyright claims.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2013, 03:24:38 PM »
It is not a "review" if it includes the ENTIRE body of work.  ;)  I remember in animation school only about a decade ago, the standard rule was about 3 minutes of footage before it starts being frowned upon by colleagues.

If one was were assigned a 50 page paper in school, and you went and downloaded a copy of some book or other research document and copied the contents of the book into one's own paper and only added footnotes/commentary along the way, one would not receive a passing grade.  One would likely be in trouble for plagiarism, should the instructor catch on...  :( 

I hope that one day, we may get some kind of re-release but until then, I understand why Hasbro is defending their copyrights.  I've been able to convert my copies of both RaMC and the Movie onto DVDs for personal use as my VHS copies will be toast if I watch them more than I already can see they were played...  :)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2013, 06:44:08 PM »
Well, my dispute got the world wide ban lifted as well as the claim in the audio released.  It still has a matched visual content label on it, but I acknowledge that.  Hell, if Hasbro wants to stick their ads on it or whatever, they're welcome to it.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 27, 2013, 01:24:23 PM »
Thats lame but dosent the copywrite stuff or whatever run out after a while?
I though that was the logic behind not being able to reuse older names/molds

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline lonewolf

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Lyra the dance master
    • View Profile
    • Deviantart account
« Reply #28 on: November 27, 2013, 02:27:27 PM »
 Figures. I hate it when a company takes a video down, then doesn't do anything to re-post it themselves, or release it somehow (really it's their fault it happens). :mad:  They might set it up to where you can view them there for a couple of bucks per view (like they've done for FiM). Just be glad it was just blocked and not a DMCA takedown like other dictatorships companies do.

Would it be tricky to re-upload it ?

If they're taking them down, there's a good chance they'll put them into Youtube's content ID system, which would mean they get blocked as soon as you upload it (there is a way people are getting around it with S4 episodes).

I'm the D to the E to the --- and no filly's got the moves like my big wall eyes. I'm De---licious.
Listen to this song while watching my sig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTi11bFNdMs :P

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 27, 2013, 06:55:27 PM »
Thats lame but dosent the copywrite stuff or whatever run out after a while?
I though that was the logic behind not being able to reuse older names/molds

The copyright on a film like this lasts 70 years after the death of the lead actor/director/screenwriter/composer or 95 years from publication or 120 years from creation - whichever happens soonest. So in general - we have a while to go yet before its copyright free. And even then there is the option for the owner of the film to register something in a different way and expand the protection.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal