collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro just blocked RaMC on Youtube  (Read 1679 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Hasbro just blocked RaMC on Youtube
« on: November 20, 2013, 11:32:26 PM »
So what do I find in my emails today but a message from Youtube saying that my video of Rescue at Midnight Castle has been BLOCKED on "copyright grounds" by Hasbro Studios LLC!

I understand that the content belongs to them, but it's not like I was making money off of it, nor were they losing money, seeing as this was a 20 year old video.

Bizarrely, they haven't blocked Escape from Catrina, which is also on my channel.

I don't even know.  I may write them a letter.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro just blocked RaMC on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2013, 11:35:51 PM »
Maybe they intend to re-release it on DVD and that's why they blocked it?

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 11:57:20 PM »
So what do I find in my emails today but a message from Youtube saying that my video of Rescue at Midnight Castle has been BLOCKED on "copyright grounds" by Hasbro Studios LLC!

I understand that the content belongs to them, but it's not like I was making money off of it, nor were they losing money, seeing as this was a 20 year old video.

Bizarrely, they haven't blocked Escape from Catrina, which is also on my channel.

I don't see that writing a letter would do any good. It's copyrighted material. It's against youtube's ToS to put it up. Yes, a lot of things on youtube sneak by without being taken down, but that doesn't mean they're actually allowed, it just means that the company hasn't asked for it be removed yet. Hasbro and YouTube have every right to remove copyrighted material that was uploaded without their permission.

From YouTube:

It is important to note that your video can still be affected by a claim of copyright infringement, even if you have...
-Given credit to the copyright owner
-Refrained from monetizing the infringing video
-Noticed similar videos that appear on YouTube
-Purchased the content on iTunes, a CD, or DVD
-Recorded the content yourself from TV, a movie theater, or the radio
-Stated that “no copyright infringement is intended”
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:48:57 AM by NoDivision »

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2013, 02:03:45 AM »
Yes they have the right to take it down. It's still rather foolish because the only thing having it up on youtube does is help the company. People watch it, enjoy it, talk about it, thus enjoyinh their brand and possibly going out ot buy their product. If they aren't selling any copies of the material having then they aren't losing any money. Blocking the content doesn't help them, it hinders them. Unless they intend to release it on dvd at some point. Which I suppose couldn't hurt.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2013, 03:44:22 AM »
Legally- they have to protect their copyrights or they can lose the right to protest later. 

I noticed they took a bunch of their copyrighted stuff off lately-  Jem fans are complaining because they wiped the Jem episodes off too.

Vulpy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2013, 04:24:39 AM »
That sucks. :/ Sorry to hear that. I thiiiink you can dispute the claim. I make youtube videos (working on an Equestria Girls review at the moment too. x3), and I've had to dispute the claims before because of fair use and all that jazz. If there isn't an option to, then I suppose you could just e-mail the youtube peeps. I haven't tried that though, so I'm not sure what response you'll get.

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2013, 04:46:38 AM »
Directly taking a full movie and putting it on youtube doesn't fall under fair use, sorry. I know people would love to be able to watch these kind of things on youtube, but I don't find it at all surprising when things like this are taken down. It's against youtube's TOS and it's copyright infringement. There's really nothing that can be done about it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 04:49:55 AM by NoDivision »

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2013, 05:50:36 AM »
Legally- they have to protect their copyrights or they can lose the right to protest later. 

I noticed they took a bunch of their copyrighted stuff off lately-  Jem fans are complaining because they wiped the Jem episodes off too.

Yeah... :( They are on a bit of a rampage on older stuff at the moment. It will be a blanket take down with a selection of the heaviest viewed clips targeted. No doubt they will go away and then sweep again in a while. Thats the risk you take when uploading copyright protected material on sites like youtube. They dont prosecute for misuse, they dont seek redress for using their material; they just have it removed. All in its a peaceful process, I feel.

As mentioned they may not make money directly from them any more, but they are still well within their rights to protect their own brand. It frustrating but its also understandable unfortunately. I am sure if its uploaded again after a gap of time it will sit for a while on youtube again until they do another take down.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2013, 06:16:34 AM »

What, exactly, would that letter say? "I don't understand why you stopped me from doing something that is explicitly against both the law and the Terms of Service that I agreed to when signing up for Youtube"? You did something wrong and you got caught. Deal.

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2013, 06:38:14 AM »
If I were Hasbro I would be like, "Yay! Free advertising!" :P Since RaMC isn't in production and they aren't losing money off the video being on You Tube, it would make sense to me for them to WANT it to be up because it could *potentially* cause people to buy ponies. You never know! If it's not hurting and it could possibly help, why not leave it up, Hasbro? ;)

I'll never understand why brands have a fit when their stuff appears in other shows and such. It's FREE advertising. They'll pay millions to have a 30 second commercial during the super bowl, but want their brand blurred out on tv shows :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2013, 06:57:54 AM »
Wait a second; are you "LM1313", LadyMoondancer?  This may sound weird, but in away I'd like to thank you; it was your upload of RaMC which helped me start my journey towards loving all generations.  RaMC was also the first (and only) episode I saw as a kid, and I looked up your video to see if I really had watched it when I was younger (having already become a fan of Friendship is Magic I kept having flashbacks of "an awesome pink pegasus", and I had to see if she was in that episode... and she was).

I'm sorry that your videos been taken down (a lot of the G3 movies have gone too, which is also depressing for me) the older generations need a lot more exposure, so I really hope that Hasbro are bringing out DVDs, because removing it simply because "It's theirs" is silly, especially if they're not going to upload it themselves or sell it.

If I were Hasbro I would be like, "Yay! Free advertising!" :P Since RaMC isn't in production and they aren't losing money off the video being on You Tube, it would make sense to me for them to WANT it to be up because it could *potentially* cause people to buy ponies. You never know! If it's not hurting and it could possibly help, why not leave it up, Hasbro? ;)

I'll never understand why brands have a fit when their stuff appears in other shows and such. It's FREE advertising. They'll pay millions to have a 30 second commercial during the super bowl, but want their brand blurred out on tv shows :P
My thoughts exactly, it makes no sense.  I hope they realize this soon.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2013, 07:12:30 AM »
Maybe they intend to re-release it on DVD and that's why they blocked it?

That was my first thought! Let it be so!
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2013, 08:35:05 AM »
Wait a second; are you "LM1313", LadyMoondancer?  This may sound weird, but in away I'd like to thank you; it was your upload of RaMC which helped me start my journey towards loving all generations.  RaMC was also the first (and only) episode I saw as a kid, and I looked up your video to see if I really had watched it when I was younger (having already become a fan of Friendship is Magic I kept having flashbacks of "an awesome pink pegasus", and I had to see if she was in that episode... and she was).

I'm sorry that your videos been taken down (a lot of the G3 movies have gone too, which is also depressing for me) the older generations need a lot more exposure, so I really hope that Hasbro are bringing out DVDs, because removing it simply because "It's theirs" is silly, especially if they're not going to upload it themselves or sell it.

My thoughts exactly, it makes no sense.  I hope they realize this soon.
Awwww, that's so sweet:).

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 08:36:48 AM »
Would it be tricky to re-upload it ?

Offline Silver Glade

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Collector for Life!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2013, 08:50:07 AM »
Well whaddaya know, looks like Hasbro took my single, old-as-dirt pony video down recently, too!  I uploaded the Tales episode "Roll Around the Clock" for some project or another back in 2006, and then just left it up.  For some reason it became the 2nd or 3rd highest result when you searched for "my little pony" on YouTube in the years following (pre-FiM, of course).  As a result it got like 1.5 million views racked up!   :shocked:

Since it was higher profile due to view count, I checked today if it was still there.  Nope.  Signed into my old email, and sure enough - I got a message similar to LadyMoondancer's.  Way to go, Hasbro!  You're really on the ball when you remove a video after 7 years!   :lol:

Anyhoo, don't fret too much, LadyMoondancer.  It's like hathorcat said - Hasbro will do this massive sweep of video takedowns once in a while.  It's like mowing weeds, though - they're just gonna grow back afterward!  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal