collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non-collectors trying to understand us  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
Non-collectors trying to understand us
« on: November 12, 2013, 09:56:39 PM »
I thought this might be a fun thread! Does anyone want to share amusing stories of non-collectors trying to understand us pony fans? XD

Last night I was at Walmart and I picked up a couple of those MLP dog tags with my other items. My cashier was a young man, he looks at them as they get rung up, then looks at me and goes, "My Little Pony is pretty popular these days. You know straight men are buying all these?" He sounded amazed.

I replied, "Well I've seen a lot of little girls buying them too." (I guess I'm a little defensive because people always bring up guys when they see my pony stuff lol)

He says, "Yeah, but they've always bought them. Now I see all these straight men buying everything." He pauses and falls silent like he just had an important thought, then he tsks and says, "You know what? Good for them!"

It made me laugh inwardly because it really sounded like he was trying to figure it out, but then just decided in that moment to accept it and move on. XD Does anyone else have any funny stories of people trying to figure out this pony collecting phenomenon?
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: Non-collectors trying to understand us
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2013, 10:24:30 PM »
Lol I never got comments from the cashiers. But from time to time my family comments about my collection. The last mlp item I bought was the deco Luna, it was expensive and it was a good thing I bought because they never restock again, my mother said "You have too many already"

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 11:44:21 PM »
I have never gotten any strange comments from cashiers, other than 'do you need a gift reciept?"LOL!

My sister knows I collect the stuffed animals, she calls me a dork all the time! I told my sister im waiting in line for Fluttershy when she arrives, I got teased a little but its all good! She knows how I feel about my ponies and getting me meet the VA of my fav character! Now she thinks its cool! :D

Today at work-perfect example for the topic.  I was in our backroom hunting for the funrise boxes in the toy pallets. An unloader guy at work im friends with laughed at me because Im too old to buy toys and I dont even have kids. I told him "oh well, Im 22 dont have kids, cant even have any IF i even wanted to because of my lady problems, so toys make me so happy in life! No one is ever too old for toys!" Lol that shushed him up, he didnt bug me the rest of the night! LOL at him because he keeps like 20 bunnies! Hehehee!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 11:55:02 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 12:13:04 AM »
Dragonflitter, I love the story! Gave me a chuckle, and my husband too!

I was surprised, when I told my parents that I'd started collecting vintage My Little Pony, that they were so enthusiastic about it. My dad especially, who is a very practical and pragmatic "How much did THAT cost" type of person. I haven't lived at home for almost ten years so what they feel about it isn't a big factor, but it was cool that they wanted to know about it. They asked what the rarest ponies were, where I find them, how much they cost...
My dad, who loves going to garage sales, always keeps an eye out for ponies for me, and usually has a couple waiting for me whenever I visit home. :)
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Roseprincess1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2013, 01:03:11 AM »
Well out in the public ive never gotten much of an opinion about it.. Chasiers  just shrug and such.
My dad has always loved my collections almost as much as me, he says its perfectly ok. Its not a waste of money, its only a waste when you DON'T have something to show afterwards.
Hes particularly fond of minty.
My bf loves them.. he's a transformers nut...between the two of us hasbro should give us stock options!!
Some of my other relatives have been less kind... my Mom's brother and sister have openly made fun of me for it.
ive decided i dont really care.
They make me happy and thats that.

Offline Radiance

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2013, 01:11:45 AM »
I bought a load of ponies from Big Lots with some birthday funds back in May. The cashier said something like 'oh these must be a present for someone' and I replied, "Yep, for me!"

She looked a little amazed ;)
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=366243.new#new

my want list, looking for unicorns!

Offline slj84

• Trade Count: (+51)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2013, 01:20:46 AM »
My family thinks its a little odd.  Then I pull out some rare pony and say this one worth such and such amount and it stops them in their tracks.

The one that entertains me the most is my brother in law. He's nice about it but I know he thinks it's strange.  Yet he loves Legos and toy trains.  The one time he was in my bedroom with his daughter (who love ponies). All my pony's I kept on shelves in my closet so when I wanted to see them I just opened the door.  I swear he was amazed that my room looked like a normal "adults" bedroom.  He just kept looking around and around in shock that I am somewhat "normal":p.  though I will fully admit I am not "normal" cause normal is boring.

Offline Crowning_Glory13

• Trade Count: (+76)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • knitting pony
    • View Profile
    • Voices by Share
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2013, 01:51:34 AM »
My mom and sister jokingly think that I have all these pets(4) and ponies to make up for my unrealized desire to have kids....

I love kids they are fun but I like giving them back to mom and dad hahahaha
Voices by Share for all your piano, voice, pageants, and knitting needs. http://www.ebay.com/usr/crowningglory0013 or trade
http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381689.msg1576786#msg1576786 want list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,290863.msg114445.html#msg114445
Facebook: Voices by Share

NoodleMore

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2013, 01:52:41 AM »
Around this time last year I bought my first brushables at Kohls.  They had some kind of buy one get one 1/2 price sale and I had a 30% off coupon so I got them at a good price.  I grabed four of them!  The older lady cashier rang them up and asked me how many little girls I had.  I told her I didn't have any but I had a niece.  She remarked that "these make great stocking stuffer" and I agreed with her.

I'd probably say something different today if asked but I was nervous buying my first brushable.  Up until then I had only bought blind bags on eBay and that seems safe. That day was a big step for me.  I somehow knew that there was no return- I was hooked!

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2013, 02:12:53 AM »
I work at Walmart and my coworkers call me the pony girl... They usually bring me some kind of pony they find and say "saw these and thought of you!"  One woman I work with giggles at me and sais "you and them ponies I bet Derek gets tired of seeing them!" And I just have to remind her of her ever growing 30 years collection of Betty boop! Lol

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2013, 02:14:37 AM »
I was at Kmart the other day and found a bunch of super old ponies on the shelfs that I had missed the releases for while I was in China. So I went up to the register buying like four or five ponies and he laughs and goes "ahhh. You're one of thooose people." in an actually pretty friendly way. I smile nervously and say yeah I collect them. He says okay, if you sold all of your ponies how much money would you have? And I stopped for a second and said, probably enough to buy a car, and he laughs and I started to pick up my bags to walk away and he goes, ah you're receipt- wait, you don't need this. you're not bringing those ponies back.
so that was pretty fun haha. I've gotten some rathe rodd looks from mothers when im in the pony aisle which is kind of strange because I'ma petite twenty year old girl so. It's not like I stand out to much.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2013, 02:15:31 AM »
It's really hard to get it across to my grandma that I'm not buying them to sell them later. "They're not an investment, grandma, they're a tragic addiction"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:18 AM »
"They're not an investment, grandma, they're a tragic addiction"

:haha:  :haha:  :haha:

OMG That is the best line I have ever heard!!!! XD Would you be offended if I got bumper stickers printed up that said this? (minus the grandma part lol)
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2013, 02:23:54 AM »
Go for it!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Epona

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2013, 02:25:05 AM »
No one looks twice at me when I get ponies. But man do we get some crazy looks when my bearded long haired, tatttood, pierced camo wearing husband  helps me pick out which ones to get for our daughter. Especially when he starts feeling up the blind bags. (I like the fun of guessing who it is)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal