collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Non-collectors trying to understand us  (Read 1521 times)

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • That's Saki-samagic!
    • View Profile
Re: Non-collectors trying to understand us
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 02:27:22 AM »
"They're not an investment, grandma, they're a tragic addiction"

:haha:  :haha:  :haha:

OMG That is the best line I have ever heard!!!! XD Would you be offended if I got bumper stickers printed up that said this? (minus the grandma part lol)
:lmao: Me too!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 02:33:05 AM »
actually a second story, from China that I had completely forgotten. I found a booth in a little market stall with a bunch of boxed G3s and he wanted forty kuai each, which is like... uh, seven or eight us dollars I think. Anyway that's prety steep for chinese toys in a chinese market. I offered to give him ten for each and he laughed and said I was a grown woman and these were worth more to me than to him. Forty each.
I ended up buying them for thirty each. >~> Hard bargainer.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline loverofbalto

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 02:46:11 AM »
Only once did I have someone do something mean about my collecting.  My mom said the typical thing like I had too many, but she would still help me collect.  My best friend in High School came over to hang out one day and saw the 8 new ponies my mom had given me as a gift.  She picked one up to look at it and then she looked at me and asked why I would collect these.  Before I could answer she had taken the pony by the hair and threw it into the others knocking them down.  I was upset and annoyed, but didn't really yell at her.  Mostly I told her don't do that.  She had never questioned me on anything like that before and I was hurt.  I feel bad that we don't really talk anymore, but I still can't believe she did that.

Offline Dorothy Rose

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2013, 02:58:06 AM »
I wanted an inexpensive way to decorate my office, so I brought in the blind bag Dr. Whos and MLPs and have positioned them in a little diorama on my desk.  One of my coworkers saw them and said, "What are those?"  I said, "These are the Doctor and these are the new My Little Ponies."  He looked at me with a "duh" expression and adjusted his question:  "Why do you have them?"  I just laughed and said I liked them.  He said, "Only little girls play with those."  I laughed again and said, "Not just little girls.  Guys collect them, too."  He shook his head in bewilderment and left.

Later I received a package with MLPs and had them out on my desk admiring them.  I was brushing out their hair when a customer walked up to my desk and asked how I was doing.  A little embarrassed at having been caught playing with their hair, I smiled and said, "I'm having a great day.  I got collectables in the mail!"  He didn't say a word!

The next day, he returned and walked up to my desk for the express purpose of showing me the MLP t-shirt he was wearing.  I nearly spazzed.  As soon as he was gone, I grabbed my coworker and said, "Did you see him?!  A full-grown 40-something MAN wearing a My Little Pony T-shirt!"  He chuckled and said, "I don't argue with a guy who will wear a My Little Pony shirt."

He's not said a word about my collection since!  ^____^

Dorothy Rose
Want List

Offline prancingstag

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2013, 03:38:15 AM »
I don't have any interesting stories. Just cashiers giving me a look and asking "are these for someone else, or for you?" and nodding knowingly when I say "for me, I collect them". I once had a chat with a guy behind the counter who mentioned that they were getting lots of adult buyers coming through and that the blind bags were insanely popular, they could barely keep them on the shelf without selling out. :lol:

Offline Rainbowings

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2013, 04:10:11 AM »
Its supprising how many "closet" collectors there are out there who will approch you when no one else is around and "come out"

[TMI ~ many thanks ~ hathorcat]
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 06:20:46 PM by hathorcat »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2013, 04:20:56 AM »
I wanted an inexpensive way to decorate my office, so I brought in the blind bag Dr. Whos and MLPs and have positioned them in a little diorama on my desk.  One of my coworkers saw them and said, "What are those?"  I said, "These are the Doctor and these are the new My Little Ponies."  He looked at me with a "duh" expression and adjusted his question:  "Why do you have them?"  I just laughed and said I liked them.  He said, "Only little girls play with those."  I laughed again and said, "Not just little girls.  Guys collect them, too."  He shook his head in bewilderment and left.

Later I received a package with MLPs and had them out on my desk admiring them.  I was brushing out their hair when a customer walked up to my desk and asked how I was doing.  A little embarrassed at having been caught playing with their hair, I smiled and said, "I'm having a great day.  I got collectables in the mail!"  He didn't say a word!

The next day, he returned and walked up to my desk for the express purpose of showing me the MLP t-shirt he was wearing.  I nearly spazzed.  As soon as he was gone, I grabbed my coworker and said, "Did you see him?!  A full-grown 40-something MAN wearing a My Little Pony T-shirt!"  He chuckled and said, "I don't argue with a guy who will wear a My Little Pony shirt."

He's not said a word about my collection since!  ^____^

Hehe, ponies are taking over! X3 I love it.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Silver_mirror46

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • Check out my art store @La Poyoshop on Etsy
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2013, 05:30:53 AM »
I confess that thanks to grown dudes buying the lil figures for themselves in shops everywhere, people don't give a second look to a grown girl getting some ponies hehehe

I usually ask for gift wrapping, in a meek way, when the employees notice they're for me usually they just giggle and give me the paper and a ribbon (not mockingly though)

thank you PonyWithnoCrown afor the lovely pony in siggie :3
My DA page  My Tumblr Art Tag  Commissions   Trader Feedback

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2013, 07:52:25 AM »
well  my mom and dad  are normally like oh you have mroe then enough you dont need anymore and then they let me buy more or they buy me more.. lol  mymom was like you ahve to have a 1,000 in your room i dont  i have 420. thank you very much XD    everyone comes in my rooom they always say you have such a large colection.   well it isnt  really a  "large colelciton" i say oh i've seen  bigger! you should see the  ones that have thosuands in them.  but i suppose mine is formidable. 

but  the story i want to share is that  i  was  at TRU  awhile back    before halloween lookign for spitfire. (funko) and i saw this girl there ont eh pony asile i went to the funkos and   foundspitfire and practicaly sqealed when i saw him then    i  looekd over at her she laughe da  little  and shes like you a brony?  and shes like Brohoof! and we tlaekd for a bit  then when  i  was   walking to check out one  of  the cashiers saw me in my dr hooves shirt (and holding spitfire) and   they called over  my littl eponys rock.   so i moved over and they gav emm a brohoof.   so that was kinda  fun.

>.> i dont quite  understand the brohoof thing.. but i just go with it

MidnightVelvet

« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2013, 07:59:38 AM »
"You have all of them, right?" "Nope."

My parents think I have too many ponies. Every time I get a new one my dad makes this weird floor creaking/caving in sound. It's basically his fun way of saying I have too many :p

Offline blondee1982

• Trade Count: (+52)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2013, 08:00:48 AM »
lol, I had a funny experience with a hot topic cashier, I was buying pony stuff a few moths ago for a swap and the young teenage girl at the register looks at me with a stone cold serious look on her face and says...."so...are you one of those bronies??" I just replied, "well I am a girl not a boy, and this stuff is for a friend who is also a GIRL who collects ponies" she was standing there with the deer in the headlights look...HAHAHAHAHA! With that being said I am a very girly girl so its not like it was a case of mistaken gender lol, she just really had no clue ;)

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »

lol same here! I was at a video game convention last year wearing my Rainbow Dash t-shirt (it's not even an obvious one, just an outline of her head with her rainbow hair) and a guy walked up to me, totally serious expression, held up his fist and said "Brohoof." I copied him, not really knowing what it meant, then he bumped my fist and walked away. XD Hilarious.
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Lorelei Redfern

• Sprinkles Obsessed
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2013, 09:20:40 AM »

lol same here! I was at a video game convention last year wearing my Rainbow Dash t-shirt (it's not even an obvious one, just an outline of her head with her rainbow hair) and a guy walked up to me, totally serious expression, held up his fist and said "Brohoof." I copied him, not really knowing what it meant, then he bumped my fist and walked away. XD Hilarious.

lol yeah!  exactly!  that happend to me  att he  mlp fiar in 2012 that was my first experince with "brohoofing"  but thankfully i have a freind who does fistbump  so i knew to copy him lol.  but still its intresting. i get a  ton of looks when i wear my dr hooves shirt.   so  soemtiems i get asked am i a whoian and a brony and i just shrug and go i like  mlp.

"You have all of them, right?" "Nope."

My parents think I have too many ponies. Every time I get a new one my dad makes this weird floor creaking/caving in sound. It's basically his fun way of saying I have too many :p

this^ my   dads like  you have way to manyyou dont need anymore.  my  reply.  as logn as i have shelf space i get more ponys..
note. i have ALL the bookshelves and   am  repteadly fidning new way sto cram more shelving into my room...
and mom says i'm obsessed

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2013, 10:58:51 AM »
I've had a several cashiers make comments like "some little girl is going to be really happy" when I'm buying several ponies. Quite often I'll just answer with "yes she is!" when I can't be bothered getting into a conversation. But I laugh when I'm buying ponies, with my pony wallet, wearing a pony shirt and they ask if I need a gift receipt. Um. No.

My favourite was one day when I was in TRU a grandfather and grandson came into the aisle with a list of pony names. They were looking for specific ponies for the boy's sister. Of course, I overheard and knew that set wasn't at TRU and told them where they could find them. Reminded me of the many trips to the toy store my own grandpa made with me.

Elf

Offline McKinley

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2013, 04:02:06 PM »
Oops, nevermind. The comment I quoted & responded to got modded.

Well, as to the topic at hand, I haven't had very many people comment on my pony purchases, and my mom (who is just about the only person who knows about my pony collecting) has always been supportive and even has a few of her own. The only story I can really think of is that I used to have some G3 cake toppers sitting in a storage pocket in my truck, and one time when I gave one of my co-workers a lift she saw the ponies and gave a conspiratorial nod and said, "I understand. For me, it's Care Bears."  ^.^

« Last Edit: November 14, 2013, 02:44:34 PM by NightSprite »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal