collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Fangirling/Fanboying - when does it end!?  (Read 840 times)

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Fangirling/Fanboying - when does it end!?
« on: October 31, 2013, 01:40:09 AM »
Ok, so I consider myself a mature woman of 28. Why is it that I can still get all fluttery and excited and fangirly over stuff like I'm 12?

I still catch myself daydreaming about the stuff I'm fangirling, spending hours at night while my husband's asleep watching youtube clips etc.

Yesterday I realised that my activities are eerily similar to my 14 year old cousin's activities :P (she's a 1Der, my fandoms are different, but we act the same way, lol!).

Obviously, I'm happy about this fact and if I can have it my way, I never want to change. But it did get me thinking, why aren't there more people my age doing this? Or has the society trained us so well that we should "grow out of it" at some point and that it's not ok to be silly at this age?

Ok, enough banter. Tell me, do you guys do this and what are your current "obsessions".

Mine has been Supernatural (the TV show) for a few years and I still adore it every bit, it makes me laugh and it makes me cry :lovey:
I'm also still fangirling various animes and mangas (mostly those made by CLAMP), and last but not least, there are always some rock bands I'm fangirling over. Most recently The Cooper Temple Clause and Funeral for a Friend :P

please tell me I'm not alone!
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
Re: Fangirling/Fanboying - when does it end!?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013, 02:38:26 AM »
I think its still ok, if theres something that youre really excited about.  Think Harry Potter (or Lord of the rings), Twilight or Hunger games--those weren't  (just) little 14 year olds fangirling ;)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline CupidStrikes

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Angry little slice of pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013, 03:06:47 AM »
I think society tries to tell us that it's bad to be openly very, very excited about something (too often do I hear the terms "fan girl/fan boy" used in a negative or derogatory way...). Honestly? I bet tonnes of people your age do it, but they probably hide it. I tend to save my squeeing for when I'm alone and on the internet (though I've been known to squeal, jump up and down, etc, when surprised or suitably excited in public ;) )

There is nothing wrong about getting super duper excited about something at any age, seriously. I think it's awful that some people think it's a bad thing to outwardly show enjoyment of something, be it a fandom thing, or something else.

My current obsession is the Tales of series, and I squeed aloud when I found out Western releases of Tales of Symphonia Chronicles were getting the Japanese collector's edition :D
Idly searching for: loose, good condition G4 Blossomforth, Starbeam Twinkle, Plumsweet. TTM Celestia doll's wings Within UK or EU only, please.
Will also take in Pretty Pony Club (UK magazine) fakies.

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2013, 03:40:45 AM »
You're asking this question on a toy collecting site! hehe!
Of course we are all crazy about multicoloured plastic ponies and squeal when we go down the toy isle and see that one elusive new pony.. :p
What's wrong with getting happy over the small stuff anyways?

<3
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline Ionn

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • Horse Shaped Object Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2013, 03:54:22 AM »
What's wrong with getting happy over the small stuff anyways?

Yeah! As the good Doctor said, "There's no point in being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes."

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 04:07:47 AM »
I think society tries to tell us that it's bad to be openly very, very excited about something (too often do I hear the terms "fan girl/fan boy" used in a negative or derogatory way...). Honestly? I bet tonnes of people your age do it, but they probably hide it.

This is definitely my take on it, too. I know a lot of people who 'secretly' collect or fangirl/boy things. It's a lot more common among adults than it might first appear.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2013, 05:38:24 AM »
fangirl
A rabid breed of human female who is obesessed with either a fictional character or an actor. Similar to the breed of fanboy. Fangirls congregate at anime conventions and livejournal. Have been known to glomp, grope, and tackle when encountering said obesessions.

Well, I dont think I would word it that way and I have never been to an anime convention (not that I dont want to go, I just dont have anyone to go with...) but I would say there are a few characters that I am a bit obsessed with (and they all have either dog/fox ears or tails) and Im 34  :blush:
My pony/pokemon obsession is pretty well known to people but no so much my other..obsessions :P I did get some figurines of some of them this summer  :)

I missed out on all this good stuff when I was a teen...

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

ashlite

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:12 AM »
There is nothing wrong with being a fan girl! It's great! I think its a good thing to still be super excited by the little things. :) Also YAY Supernatural fan! I just watched this weeks episode today.  ;)

There was also a time where I may have fangirled meeting a celebrity from a band here. lol He ended up being super nice and let me take a pic with him. I met  him once before at a convention and fangirled then too. He's dreamy.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 05:46:29 AM by ashlite »

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2013, 05:43:59 AM »
fangirl
A rabid breed of human female who is obesessed with either a fictional character or an actor. Similar to the breed of fanboy. Fangirls congregate at anime conventions and livejournal. Have been known to glomp, grope, and tackle when encountering said obesessions.

Well, I dont think I would word it that way and I have never been to an anime convention (not that I dont want to go, I just dont have anyone to go with...) but I would say there are a few characters that I am a bit obsessed with (and they all have either dog/fox ears or tails) and Im 34  :blush:
My pony/pokemon obsession is pretty well known to people but no so much my other..obsessions :P I did get some figurines of some of them this summer  :)

I missed out on all this good stuff when I was a teen...

I would go to an anime convention with you! :)

I'm 19 and I fangirl over all sorts of stuff: my favorite singer, various anime, tv shows. I honestly see no reason people shouldn't be allowed to "fangirl" or "fanboy" over something that they really like regardless of their age. As long as they do it without hurting others (like the bad apples of a fandom) =)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2013, 06:04:11 AM »
You're never too old to be a fan. Check out this woman!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/meet-47-year-old-one-direction-fan-2274959

Right now my obsession is Ross Lynch and R5. After seeing this article I don't feel so weird for wanting a Ross Lynch poster for my room. :P

sailorstitch

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2013, 06:12:26 AM »
I have 2 posters (one of rurouni kenshin and one of Sesshamarou) that are not very big but I dont dare put them up since I moved back in with my mother  :mad: Somehow I dont think she would approve.

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2013, 06:46:33 AM »
If you think that's "bad", I'm still a DragonBall/Z fangirl, 16 years after I first discovered it in junior high.  I even own a Capsule Corp jacket that I wear in public.  Why bother loving something if you're going to let someone make you feel ashamed of it?  At least that's my mentality :) (and yes, I realize that your post is about embracing fandoms, so my "you" in that comment was more of the broad, all-encompassing version of the word, not you personally ;) )

I think that society does sort of expect people to grow out of obsessing over things that aren't actual real aspects of life, though I know very few people that DON'T actively follow something or another.  They just tend to keep quiet about it because they're afraid of the labels.  I also think that the words "fandom" "fangirl" and "fanboy" have had bad connotations given to them, which I started noticing more during the whole Twilight craze. 
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:05:06 AM by Katika »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
My opinion is that it's a LOT more common than we think - but they're just not as open about it.  Here?  We're not in the fanboy/fangirl closet.  In other aspects of life?  Most people won't talk about it, like it's a big taboo.  I am not one of those folks.  XD

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline TwistedWindSox

• Trade Count: (+46)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2013, 08:33:45 AM »
Pretty sure a lot of people that are older "fangirl/boy" over stuff, just mostly they keep it to themselves because that's what they're "supposed" to do.
I fangirl over stuff a lot. Mostly my favorite singer (Danzig, duh :P ) and stuff related to him... You should have seen me when I met him, I probably embarrassed the heck out of the people with me at the time. :p

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2013, 01:07:16 PM »
Who cares! If you are excited be excited! Doesn't matter what anyone thinks!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal