collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collecting - Got to have them all  (Read 452 times)

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Collecting - Got to have them all
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:49:10 AM »
Who else here is or has been a "Got to have it all" kind of collector? You know, where the phrase "Collect them all" is no longer a suggestion but an actual goal.

I will admit to being one of them. There were points in my life where if it was Ariel/Little Mermaid it pretty much went home with me. After I moved out of my parents home, so much of my collection was boxed up and left in storage at my parents house, (which I greatly appreciate) that over time I had forgotten, well okay...maybe not forgotten, but out of sight out of mind. My husband and I have moved twice this last year and we are now in a house where I can actually have room to bring all my things. As I have been starting to look back over and unpack boxes I am finding a lot of things I forgot I had owned. I have so many things, from pencils, to books, to banks, plastic figurines etc and as some of you know dolls of course.

Going through it all has made me wonder who else has gone through this phase? If so, what was your "got to have them all" collection?

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Collecting - Got to have them all
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 12:51:50 AM »
Really, it depends on what it is. Some things I just want certain ones and some things I want everything.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 02:43:47 AM »
I'm the same as kaoskat. For G2 and G4, there are only certain ponies I want but with G3, I want every single one :P MH and EAH dolls I want every single character (rather than every single doll ever made). And I'm getting to be that way with Little Mermaid too. I recently bought some Tyco dolls and I love them, so gorgeous! So I would love to at some point get every single one but there's so many ^.^; I think I'll be collecting forever.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Draikinator

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 02:46:10 AM »
I usually only consider it a collection (for me) if the ultimate goal is "collect them all." Maybe I don't actively work towards that goal all the time, but still. It's there.
IE, I have a small army of Homura Akemi figures. I don't always buy homura figures, but I don't look at a homura figure and think "Yeah my collection doesn't need that."
....I do have over two dozens Kaworu Nagisa figures though. That one is definitely one of my most impressive collections. I nearly always buy kaworus if I have the means/money.
I'm aiming for G4 completion, and G3 just sort of collecting whatever happens to come my way when I have the opportunity. G4 is an actively worked on collection and G3 is much more casual.
-Want to buy those squishy Russian "Plush Apple" brand toys, especially the shining armor/cadence set. also the russian chupa chups vinyl scratch.-

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 02:50:36 AM »
For me, my "got to have them all" collection was Diecast Honda Civics. I didn't care how much they cost or how long it took to track them down, that was it for me :lol: At one point I also collected books by certain authors, although I don't really call that collecting, just feeding my serious addiction to constantly be reading :P

As far as ponies or even anything else for that matter goes, I don't think I could have that mindset, finances would never allow it, and I have the mindset now that if I don't like something I wont get it and I don't want it in my collection.

Now I just collect what appeals to me, what I think is pretty or budget friendly :)

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 05:01:42 AM »
I typically collect what I like :) 

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:43:17 AM »
I collect what I like. I'd be collecting for a loooong time if my insect collection had to be complete. 6 to 10 million species and probably hundreds of thousands undiscovered or went extinct before they were classified.

Duster reference]

Offline alkevin

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2013, 07:03:56 AM »
That´s the pokémon slogan! Never got the first 151 .

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2013, 07:31:27 AM »
I have a few times when it comes to ponies and Breyer Horses. But now that I have gotten older and don't like a lot of stuff around me. I am not so much anymore like that.

Offline tikibirds

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+104)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2013, 07:46:35 AM »
I usually only look for the items in a set I like. I dont have alot of display room - especially since one of my collections IS in fact pokemon figures. I do not have enough space for all 600+ of them, plus hundreds of ponies and some random anime figures of my fav characters
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:48:14 AM by tikibirds »

Follow me in Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/midnight_fox_fire/

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2013, 09:09:05 AM »
Back before all the alternates and different country ponies were really known, my goal was to have all the G1s.  I've altered that to the US and UK ones (almost done!) since it is literally impossible to have all the different G1s!  My current goal is to have all the G2 ponies and I'm well on my way!  Other than that, I just look for good deals on stuff I like!

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2013, 10:40:30 AM »
Mainly Equestria Girls dolls. Even the variants and I don't usually care for variants when it comes to other things (My Little Ponies, my mentality is just "I already have that pony, why do I need a copy of her? I'm just fine." unless it's for a special occasion)
But I also have to have every G4 pony (that isn't a repeat), i'm missing about 4 international brushables and 3 FS's :s
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2013, 04:36:50 PM »
*points to motto in avatar*
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2013, 11:58:54 PM »
It's funny that you should mention Ariel/Little Mermaid in your first post...I am also an Ariel collector and it's perhaps the one collection that I am pickiest about what joins it.  It is fairly small, especially considering how much stuff is out there, and that's actually part of why it is so small.  If it joins my Ariel collection, it must either be very good quality, unusual or unique, or giving off that warm, fuzzy nostalgia feeling (Little Mermaid was my first Disney movie and I've loved Ariel since kindergarten, though I didn't have much Ariel stuff at that age). 

My biggest "completist" collections have been Care Bears, Sailor Moon, and My Little Pony, though I've since decided not to go completist on any of them.  I've done a lot of pruning of my Care Bear and Sailor Moon collections over the years and decided to go with smaller focuses (Care Bears still take up a lot of my space though).  MLP comes closest to being a completist collection, but I don't collect variants and I don't even collect certain sets (I sold all my Pony Friends at the Fair this year, though I'd like to have Oakley one day, and I don't collect Soft Sleepy Newborns or most Dream Beauties).

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2013, 03:35:36 AM »
I've never been a "got to catch 'em all" type.  I just get the must haves for me of anything ... with some collections that's a lot (ponies and Sylvanians/Calicos mainly.)

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal