collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever wish you had a different first name?  (Read 3153 times)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ever wish you had a different first name?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 12:32:41 AM »
always have and always will. it's kerryn - not very common, and always gets mistaken for karen or kieran. and oh my god when the australian swimmer kieran perkins was successful, boy did i get called that alot!! my mum wanted to call me kerry-lyn, i wish she had cause then it woulda just been kerry. i too wanted to be called melanie - i had a 2nd cousin in england with that name who i idolised when i was little - even have a teddy bear named after her :lol: then add to that a 10 letter unpronouncable surname, and yep, not fun at all :lol:

oh and add to that that i can NEVER get anything personalised from the shops - they only ever have common names :( i used to get so cut by that when i was younger!!

gypsyunicorn

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2013, 12:35:09 AM »
all the time
thought about changing it to Summer

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2013, 12:44:13 AM »
Had a female name and legally changed it to a male name a year ago.
Much better fit. I chose a new first,middle and last name. My new first name is something I've always liked, middle is one that my Mom had wanted to give me. And my last name is a common one, among Native American/First Nations folks.

As for the legal process. When all was said and done it had cost me around $600. Made me wish I lived in a state that it was cheaper in. CA is one of the most expensive.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
I've always liked my name (Andrea) because it's not particularly common in Australia (it was pretty popular in the US around the time I was born, though, I believe?)

That's my name too -_-

I've never been fond of it. For one thing, people are always pronouncing it wrong. I don't like it said in a fancy way (ON-drea or Ann-DRE-ah) and for my personality it's too many syllables. A single syllable name that ends in a hard consonant would fit me better. It doesn't bother me enough to change it or anything though.

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2013, 01:42:40 AM »
Oh all the time. My name is Rebeccah. I especially did when I was younger because there was another girl in my grade with the same name and she was so pretty and popular while I....wasn't so pretty or popular. I remember once my mom went to a parent meeting and another mom asked her who her daughter was and when she answered the other mom asked, 'Oh! Is she the really cute one who plays soccer?' Um. I don't play soccer. So no. I'm just the ugly one who was in marching band.

Plus, both my sisters have very pretty, unique names (Janessa and Alicia). So it's even worse when I compare it to them. I've tried going by nicknames but every Rebecca(h) under the sun goes by Becca so it's really not that much more interesting. I had one friend in high school who called me Becky but my mom got so mad at that for some reason that I don't ask people to call me it anymore...plus it sounds like the name of a beautiful, sexy woman, not someone like me.

Offline Tulips

• Sweetie Pups Nut
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Tiptoe Through The Tulips
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2013, 03:09:54 AM »
I never really wished for a different name, just that people would learn how to spell and pronounce it.
I actually can't imagine myself with any other name, for a while during highschool I was seriously contemplating cutting ties with the family and legally changing my last name, but never my first name. I'm Brighde (pronounced Bride-e) and that's it lol :P

Though this has reminded me that some day I do still want to change my last name, but to include both my parents' names instead of cutting them out ^.^ ... But all the paperwork! :huh:
:glitter: ISO MIB SWEETIE PUP :glitter:
OLD ENGLISH SHEEPDOG

Offline WildBlue

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Possibly maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2013, 03:14:27 AM »
I do have a different first name at times... lol... I like my name though dont get me wrong.
It is just some times I feel like Lisa and some times I feel like Marie. And other times I feel like Lisa Marie.... :D
For example, I've met this gal many times over the past year. I thought she was messing with me, every time she would ask my name or call me "J's girlfriend". So this weekend when asked yet again I said 'Oh my name is Marie' and the response was 'I thought your name was Lisa'....... uh huh, you do remember my name ;)
"MARIE!" is what my mom would yell when I was in big trouble! :lol:

Offline andibgoode

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Andi B. Goode
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2013, 03:43:31 AM »
I've always liked my name (Andrea) because it's not particularly common in Australia (it was pretty popular in the US around the time I was born, though, I believe?)

That's my name too -_-

I've never been fond of it. For one thing, people are always pronouncing it wrong. I don't like it said in a fancy way (ON-drea or Ann-DRE-ah) and for my personality it's too many syllables. A single syllable name that ends in a hard consonant would fit me better. It doesn't bother me enough to change it or anything though.

Oh hello fellow Andrea! Yeah people always pronounce mine wrong too. Heh. I had one person tell me they liked ON-drea better so could he call me that? Uh. No. It's not my name. I get Angela a lot as well. :lol: most of my friends call me Andi (as my username might indicate) but even that gets misspelt as Andy even when people can see my un! Haha.
:good: visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 :art:
Monster High dolls for sale

BlondePonyTail

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2013, 03:50:08 AM »
Lol.... I have the strangest name I have ever heard... Camette ( pronounced Cam-et). In the fourth grade I decided I would go by Cammie. And by middle school I changed the spelling to Cami. Kids are horrible and in high school they began to get creative with the mocking nicknames. Lets see... there was .. comet, Kermit, camera, cam-shaft, camel... camel was a long running one... and I HATED camel. Now that I am older I am finding myself fond of camels ( ironic) Anywho in answer to your question,  Yes I hated my name. I don't mind Cami ( strangers often mishear me and call me Tami.. i dont care enough to correct them)so much but when people call me by my given name it irks me.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2013, 03:54:21 AM »
Nope. Its Samantha, and I love it. Don't know why, I just always have. The not other thing I would change it to would be Carrie (hello SATC) but I never would change it. I love my nam and I don't want to change it.

Eaglefeather

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2013, 03:59:26 AM »
Sometimes I wish I had a name that was more common so that I wouldn't stand out too much. My name is Christiana (Christi + anna, many people pronounce it wrong!), but I've always gone by Christi. I'm named after a relative, but I wish I was named something like Haley or Megan. My parents almost named me Helen, but in that case... I'm so glad they went with Christiana.

Offline Twilight Pink

• TwinkieMomo
  • Trade Count: (+25)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Green Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2013, 04:22:31 AM »
Ya  :( I'm gonna get it changed someday...soon hopefully, costs about $500  >_<....
My birthname doesn't describe my personality at all, its too "ghetto" and its another reason for my low self esteem...plus my mom got it from a guy name and just "feminized" it :/

I hate my birthname  -_-
Oh no!
avi by kittywhiskers :kyo: .

Offline sacred_tinker

• Trade Count: (+181)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.TinkasTrinkets.etsy.com
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2013, 04:30:42 AM »
My name is Leopoldine, like the daughter and muse of the renowned French author Victor Hugo - who wrote "Les Misérables". Needless to say its a very old fashioned name.

As a French girl growing up in China, I really wasn't fond of my name. Pretty much all of my classmates (despite being in an international school), always made fun of how long my name was and how odd it was. Not to mention all the mis-pronounications I'd get: Leopardine (rawr!), Leopauline, Leopoldyne...  >_<

For the longest time ever I considered changing it, or at least using one of my other given names like Adélaïde. Then, I got busy with life, and my studies and, HEY, you know what?! I quite like it now! It's different, pretty much unique (haven't stumbled upon another Leopoldine yet), and it fits me well. My friends call me Leo, and that works too! ^.^
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 04:32:46 AM by sacred_tinker »

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »
No, I'm happy being named Kelly. :heart:

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2013, 04:56:22 AM »
Well my first name is Storm.. and I'm always getting in trouble for 'forgetting' to wear my name badge at work, or swapping with the boys, lol... I'm 'Adrian' a lot, LOL..

Not because I don't like it, though... my name has been through a lot with me, and I'm finally at a point where nothing derogatory can even touch me. I'm just over people commenting on it - it slows me down at my work having to explain or make conversation about it... it still amazes me that even with it on my WORK name badge, people ask if it's my real name. Uh, nah I just got them to make me a nickname badge, because I'm that awesome, LOL... at a hospital.

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal