collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Best Glue for Customs?  (Read 429 times)

Lightning Twirl

• Trade Count: (0)
Best Glue for Customs?
« on: September 08, 2013, 07:00:26 AM »
Hello again, lol I am back!

Im frustrated because I have rehaired a few Rarity customs, and everything was so perfect until I got to the glueing part inside the pony's head! I read on a few websites people used something called Krazy Glue. I went to Walmart and all they had was some small  Krazy Glue, in the small metal tubes. It dried like superglue, made the hair super stiff,  the q-tip I was using to apply the glue to the inside got stuck to the hair LOL, when it dried it had this "dusty" appearance to it. Luckily I was able to save the bait ponies and none if the glue got on the pony's head except for the inside-but the hair was pretty much ruined (soooo glad I bought a lot of doll hair!). So I had to re-prep the ponies and I got one haired right now, ready to be glued.

Any better glue suggestions? Im looking for something that wont dry insanly fast or drip everywhere because I accidently superglued stray pony hair and my favorite Yoshi shirt (which I had to toss) to my PANTS!

:lmao:

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
Re: Best Glue for Customs?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 07:08:15 AM »
I'm right with you; I have no idea what kind of glue works best to put inside a pony's held to help secure the hair... or what kind would be best for a G1 that the head was glued on so well you have to cut straight through the neck to get it off (had to rehair a Merry-Go-Round pony once- wow, the glue is strong on those!). Hopefully a pro can help us with our glue questions!  :)

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:12:44 AM »
If you are trying to glue the roots then super glue/Krazy glue is not the best thing to use, since it seeps though the hair line.

Fabri-tac and hot glue will do just fine for the job (but I do suggest using low temp hot glue, I personally had a bad experience with using the high temp and it mucking up my paint job)

You might be able to get away with using one of the thick PVA glues too but I still find hot glue works the best in both the time it takes to cure and water proofness!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:02:50 AM »
I personally use low temp hot glue and I've had no problems at all. It holds the hair securely, no problems with the paint job or burning the hair etc...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 09:12:43 AM »
for hair, I use Tacky Glue or some other craft glue like that. I do let it dry overnight before I put the head back on, so it's not as fast as hot glue, but it's easy to use, and I can never find my glue gun and glue at the same time. :lol:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:54:38 PM »
I use Tacky Glue for gluing in the hair.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 01:49:58 AM »
Thank you guys!  Luckily low temp glue guns are cheap and I will check out Tacky Glue!

:grouphug:

Offline Doedeardarling

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:10:27 AM »
I use such a random glue. I believe it really is meant to glue decorations like plastic stones to fabric. Works very well though. I always let the glue dry for at least a week before putting the pony in water, just to be safe.

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 07:23:37 AM »
I'm a fan of Fabri-Tac myself. You can find it in the sewing section of most places including walmart. I like it because it dries clear, and is waterproof and maintains flexibility. It typically does not melt anything.

Now for neck holes I use Zap-a-Gap medium or heavy. It's more of a gel and a little goes a LOOONG way. Very strong bond like super glue but much easier to work with.
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2013, 08:53:47 AM »
for hair, im a Tacky girl. for G4 neckplugs ill use a little bit of the Gorilla brand superglue. its a gel, and itll expand a little as it dries, so keep pressure on it for like 15-20 minutes. but its stupid strong. Gorilla doesn't mess around! for G1 and G3s ill just use Tacky glue on their necks as well but im not really in love with it for that task. for holding hiar, tho. its great. dries 'softer' than hotglue, so if you want to get adventurous with hair styling it wont break as many pins. =P

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2013, 03:27:41 PM »
I got paid today so I ran up to the store and grabbed Tacky Glue and the Lo-Temp Glue gun!

Im leaning torwards the Tacky Glue for a first try. Will it wash off the inside of the pony if I wet the pony's head? I plan on dipping the heads in hot water just to tame the mowhawk effect from rooting the hair. Ive got their hair secured with hair bands.

Also a question about the low-temp glue. How do you appy the glue to the hair roots? x) I want to learn how to properly apply the hot glue to the roots, I love how waterproof the glue is!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2013, 03:31:44 PM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 07:00:32 PM »
*raises hand* I have the same question!  (Hope you don't mind me jumping in, Lightning Twirl!) I have some plastic tools for working with clay, would the little spatula/knife work to spread the glue into the hair, maybe?
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline kezrob23

• my heart beats true for the Red and the Blue
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »
i use clear craft glue, and just squeeze it into the head. i move the head around till i can see all the hair has been covered with glue (a torch helps for this :lol:) then sit the head on an angle so's the glue can't run back out. i've tried using cotton tips and wooden sticks to smear the glue inside the head, but the hair ends up tangling around it and pulling through. i use a rehair tool, so no knots to help hold the hair in place :)

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
I use a Q-tip to smoosh it around on the hairplugs. yes you can shampoo the hair like normal when its dry (I let it set for a few days, usually balanced on a pencil hairline down so the glue will pool along the plugs without dripping out of the head) without it coming off. not sure on hotglue as I haven't used it yet.

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 12:20:27 AM »
Thank you guys for the help! The qtip method worked great with the hot glue. The first time I tried the qtip and hot glue, the qtip kinda stuck to the glue and the hair tangled around it but I started wetting the qtip before use-works great!  The Krazy Glue I got works great for fastening the neck plugs back in place. The hot glue and tacky glue didnt hold the neckplugs in place very well when I tried to put the heads back on. X/

Ooo speaking of stickin the heads back on, I have found dipping the neckparts in hot water helps when I was ready to assemble the pony back together. Does anyone else have any other ways they put the annoying neckplug back on?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal