collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What natural disasters do you live with?  (Read 1663 times)

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
What natural disasters do you live with?
« on: August 31, 2013, 03:38:01 AM »
Every year the news says that natural disasters are getting worse, and penguins are going to eat us all.

What do you have to fear?

I have a couple of volcanoes, and potentially tsunamis.

Ah, Ring of Fire, I DO love you so!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What natural disasters do you live with?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:37:45 AM »
The main thing we have to deal with in my area in Alabama is hurricanes. Lots of hurricanes. Usually not too bad, but there have been some REALLY bad ones. My parents always talk about Hurricane Fredrick and of course Katrina was a bad one for us as well. We've had some tornadoes in our area as well, but luckily none that have come close to our house. We do get some flooding because it rains a lot, but nothing major like you've seen on tv. At least not that I'm aware of XD Though it does flood down town a lot, just not like knocking over buildings or anything.
My Wish List

Offline fingerpaints

• Makin' a mess pony
  • Trade Count: (+72)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • manahmanah :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 05:16:49 AM »
I moved states to avoid being flooded out again. I am terrified of it, and although I love rain, I get uneasy with heavy downpours. I just don't have the energy, time or patience to do that amount of cleaning ever again. Also I don't want to deal with the trauma of those around me again, it hurts so much to see others suffer and fall apart, but someone needs to keep their crap together to get things done, that's generally where I come in.

I have experienced one too many natural disasters and get very emotional when I hear or see anyone anywhere going through it.

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 05:41:11 AM »
"Just" earthquakes. In the last 4-5 days there's been at least one every day. They are just minor ones, about 2 Richter scale, but area I live in is "earthquake prone" (don't know the exact English word), so there could be stronger ones. Experts say if there'd be an earthquake over 6 in Richter scale, the old city core would be completely ruined  :huh:

SparklersOasis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:25 AM »
Tornados and flooding.  While I don't live in tornado alley by any means, they are still relatively common.  And yet I have never seen one! >_<  For the flooding, I grew up along a smaller river, but now live along the Mississippi.  Luckily we live up on a bluff so our house flooding isn't a big concern.

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 05:45:56 AM »
Though I've never personally been affected by one, tornadoes.  It seems tornadoes love the midwest.  Also, some minor flooding, with emphasis on minor.  There are areas in the state of Wisconsin that do, but not near anywhere I lived.  Except for the huge Fond du Lac flood... I almost got stuck in the city because my boss wouldn't let me close up shop and leave work...

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 05:57:32 AM »
Alberta had some bad flooding this year, although Lethbridge got through it fairly unscathed. Oldman River round here is kind of in a canyon of sorts instead of a "bowl" like High River is.

We also get some pretty severe wind from time to time and it can be destructive in its own right. Even worse if there's a brush fire.
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
None. Sometimes every few years there might be a earthquake, but so low on the Ritcherscale it hardly counts, or even feels.

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 06:00:58 AM »
Tornadoes.  Lots and lots of tornadoes.  I spent most of my growing up years about five miles from Joplin, MO, and tornadoes have always been common around there.  The sirens would go off in the spring time, and most everyone would just go "well, time to head to the basement again."  After my almost-hometown got a third leveled, I've been a nervous wreck every time the sky turns green.  *Every* time.  The saddest part is that I love rain, but when it gets to storms that get that loud or scary, I come unglued.  We had a really rough June this year and there was one day that we had four tornadoes touch down within three miles of my house.  I don't hate things often, but I hate tornadoes.

(On a lighter note, about every three winters or so, we tend to get a "Snowpocalypse" or "Snowmaggedon" or whatever you want to call them.  Most people around here that aren't school aged children absolutely freak out when it's coming.  I'm originally from Wisconsin, where big snows aren't exactly uncommon, and so when they talk about these systems, you know, a week in advance, that's when I bring in my fire wood and go stock up on groceries and bottled water and that sort of thing, and then I just sit in my house for a couple of days and *enjoy* the beauty of it.  So long as my loved ones and I are home, I actually like blizzards ;) )

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2013, 06:06:59 AM »
Alberta had some bad flooding this year, although Lethbridge got through it fairly unscathed. Oldman River round here is kind of in a canyon of sorts instead of a "bowl" like High River is.

We also get some pretty severe wind from time to time and it can be destructive in its own right. Even worse if there's a brush fire.

This, plus hail.  Yes, hail counts when it's BASEBALL sized.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Eaglefeather

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2013, 07:01:48 AM »
I'm very blessed to live in an area that hardly gets anything worse than minor flooding. Once in a great while we get tornado warnings, but there never actually is a tornado. I think it was two summers ago that we had a tiny earthquake, but no damage was done.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2013, 08:38:56 AM »
Another ring of fire person here. Though it will be more of an issue in a few years. When I change states. Right now it's mostly earthquakes, minor flooding and brush fires.

Having lived in CA my whole life I don't freak out over earthquakes. Actually I find them fascinating.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline Koudoawaia

• Storm Dragon
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dragon with the heart of a guinea pig
    • View Profile
    • FA Gallery
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2013, 08:45:57 AM »
Since I live across the street from a creek, flooding is always a potential threat when we have really heavy rain. Fortunately since I've lived here, it only flooded once. We had a 100 year flood in 2009. First flood I'd ever been in and man it was scary. x.o Flood watches and warnings make me nervous now.

Many thanks to FairieFalls for my sig image and many thanks to Shaiyeh for my avatar :art:

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2013, 09:33:09 AM »
Hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, and insane thunderstorms.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kiwi

• Hippity Hoppity Site Admin
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • ~ Squeewi ~
    • View Profile
    • Kiwi's Paradise
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 09:59:04 AM »
I don't think we're really known for anything, a little of everything and in the middle of nothing. We get tornadoes, minor floods, dry spells, earthquakes, snowstorms....
 Kiwi ref sheet :bunny: *BUNNIES* :bunny: Avatar: Thank you SDS!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal