collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Selling untested video games  (Read 1550 times)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Selling untested video games
« on: August 28, 2013, 07:56:00 PM »
I've come across some great deals for video games that I couldn't pass up. Unfortunately I don't own the consoles these games are for (Genesis, NES, Xbox) and so I have to sell them untested. Have you ever done this? Will you still make sales? I wasn't going to write "untested" as I see no one doing that.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
Re: Selling untested video games
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2013, 08:17:33 PM »
I would recommend stating that the games are untested just in case. I have seen people so that for both games and consoles. You may not be able to get the same price as someone who can guarantee that they work though. Unless of course you accept returns.
Even NES games are fussy though, sometimes they play and other times you're arguing with the games to get them to work lol.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2013, 08:43:09 PM »
I would definitely mention "untested" in your item description, maybe something along the lines of "I don't own <fill in game system name>, so I am unable to test these games." As a buyer, I'd be more forgiving of a seller who mentions "not tested" upfront, rather than accepting to receive something that has been tested, when that's not the case.

Best of luck with your sales! :)

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2013, 08:49:27 PM »
Offer to accept returns if they don't work, too.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
Yes, please let you buyers know the game is untested by you. Be the better seller and go and extra step. I like to know if anything I buy is new, used, in working condition, played previously, has been read, unopened etc.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 10:45:59 PM »
I agree with everyone else. :) Put in your listing that you haven't tested the games because you don't have the console you need to play them. That way your buyers will know that there's a possibility that the game might not work. 

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2013, 10:50:19 PM »
What kind of condition are they in? Gamer boyfriend says if they're brand new, you can feel safe just calling them "like new and unplayed" and they can be safely assumed to work. If you got them secondhand, you should definitely note that they're untested.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Ringlets

• Mrs. Chief
  • Trade Count: (+182)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Be yourself, dare to dream!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 02:43:54 AM »
I agree with the others that its much better to mention that the games are untested :bigups: . Your buyers will appreciate it and it could save you from encountering issues with upset buyers if a game doesnt happen to work.

:heart: Wanted:heart:
:glitter: :heart: :glitter: CHIEF LOVES RINGLETS FOREVER :glitter: :heart: :glitter:

Offline ponylady

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 03:31:31 AM »
*nods in agreement* It's better to be safe than sorry.

I would write what KitKat has mentioned and then state that if the games are not working you are more than happy to accept them back. It will help potential buyers feel more at ease.

I know I have done it with cassette tapes, as I no longer have a tape player to see if they work.  I just stated that I have no way to test them but upon arrival if they do not work I will accept them back, no questions asked.
:glitter:visitors can't see pics , please register or login
:glitter:

Thanks LordBlumiere  :heart: for my Baby Believe!
I love Ohio Meat Pie

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2013, 05:07:14 AM »
I've seen several sellers sell "AS IS NO RETURNS" and I was thinking of putting all the stuff in one lot.. is that fair?
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2013, 06:16:43 AM »
I've seen several sellers sell "AS IS NO RETURNS" and I was thinking of putting all the stuff in one lot.. is that fair?

The only way I would recommend doing that is if you stated something like this:

This lot of games is untested, please understand that some of these may or may not work, this listing is being sold as is, no returns. If you choose to purchase this lot, then as a buyer you understand and agree that I as the seller cannot be held responsible should the games not work as I have already disclosed that I have not tested them.

Or something like that... just to completely cover yourself.

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2013, 06:49:22 AM »
Yeah that's a good idea because I figured at a yard sale or goodwill, they too sell games as-is no returns.

Offline HawaiianRain

• Guardian of Imagination
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2013, 08:02:32 AM »
Yes but this is ebay. Ebay doesn't care if you list as is/ no returns. Ebay is still going to let them either return it or give them a refund if something happens and the games don't work. Ebay makes the seller accountable for the items they sell especially electronics.

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2013, 08:08:59 AM »
I thought ebay changed their policy,soif a seller clearly states something in their listing and the buyer complains about something they were well aware of prior to the purchase then ebay sides with the seller.

There are tons of listings for electronics sold as is.

See this is why ebay is so confusing lol

Kobold

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2013, 08:17:27 AM »
Definitely list them as untested!
The best thing would be to take a lot of pictures to show what state they are in. Try to show any scuffs on CD games, and get a glimpse of the metal connectors on the cartridges (cartridges are super though, but if they have been stored in a very moist environment they *could* be rusted beyond saving).

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal