collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quitting Facebook  (Read 2534 times)

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Quitting Facebook
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2013, 04:05:49 PM »
Better known as: I don't have a cell phone with whatsapp, and really cheap to get one.

What's the deal with that, too? Everyone has viber and whatsapp and expensive smartphones with subscription which often include unlimited texts, but no one really wants to send them XD I still have clamshell sony ericsson phone and don't intend to switch :P

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline SummerSkye

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+68)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2013, 06:51:32 PM »
I don't see a reason to 'quit' Facebook'. I don't post much and my lnewsfeed is usually at least mildly interesting so I wouldn't ever think about deleting. I feel like quitting fb seems dramatic and only something you'd want to do if you were being stalked otherwise, why not just only log in when you feel like it and keep you security high?

Offline June

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 02:57:26 AM »
I don't see a reason to 'quit' Facebook'. I don't post much and my lnewsfeed is usually at least mildly interesting so I wouldn't ever think about deleting. I feel like quitting fb seems dramatic and only something you'd want to do if you were being stalked otherwise, why not just only log in when you feel like it and keep you security high?
Because Facbook is basically the biggest stalker :huh: I dislike the idea of my private info being sold to advertisers and who not, and I won't even mention NSA... Some people argue that they don't care since they have nothing to hide, but that's not the problem. The problem is the principle on which most popular internet services and companies work...

Dyzarktarzk

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
Better known as: I don't have a cell phone with whatsapp, and really cheap to get one.

What's the deal with that, too? Everyone has viber and whatsapp and expensive smartphones with subscription which often include unlimited texts, but no one really wants to send them XD I still have clamshell sony ericsson phone and don't intend to switch :P

*laughing really hard*  Yours way better than mine =3  Still a nokia (cereal-box cell-phone-price as I like to tell it XD) and that has a limited memory of only 40 text messages =D

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2013, 04:07:18 AM »
Never had, never will.
Same for smartphones.

Offline ThriftyPony

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • The Fakie Hideout - Fakie ID Guide & More
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
The biggest problem I have with FB is my family being nosy, so I have limited what content is visible to certain family members... like anything that shows my tattoos, or me drinking, etc. I have had FB since late 2006 when I started college, and now, it's the only way I can interact with a lot of people who have moved/scattered, or who just refuse to go out an interact in person. >:(

Offline tornadoe

• Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2013, 02:15:32 PM »
I did create an account on FB but its so secret and the password is so complicated I can't even find it. Not that it matters, I never posted anything on it anyway
Let your heart guide you. It whispers so listen cloesly..

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2013, 03:16:52 PM »
That's pretty cool. Sometimes I wish I'd never joined FB. I was an early adopter.

I have so many people on there that I'd completely lose contact with if it weren't for Facebook I can't bring myself to shut it down entirely. I'm always deactivating it but cannot just delete the entire thing. I do have gigantic concerns about privacy with it, though, and there is a long list of things I dislike about their policies, particularly in regards to privacy.

I keep the minimal amount of information about myself on there but I do upload a lot of friends-only photos. I try and make a point not to comment or like public statuses (which means I don't interact much with some of my friends on there) and don't like company pages. I did succumb and like a handful of my friends' pages, though.

Maybe one day.

Post Merge: September 08, 2013, 03:23:03 PM

And in general it bothers me that most people really don't seem to mind exchanging their privacy in order for 24/7 connection and convenience. 1984 scared so many people, now it's here and we are begging for more. Really freaking scary. I hate the line, "I have nothing to hide."

Duh, you aren't hiding anything. You're protecting your information. I hate, hate, hate that data is so simple to get ahold of these days. Yes, it's "public" but it used to be a big PITA to get and you usually had to go to the local jurisdiction to get it. Now you pay $10 to Intelius and boom. Everything you ever wanted to know about anyone.

Well, that was a tangent. lol.

Offline UrocyonFox

• Zombie BBE Pony
  • Trade Count: (+142)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Urocyonfox's Artwork
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2013, 11:07:09 AM »
I'm really proud to say that I'm finally getting rid of that thing! (well, sort of) I've been using it for years, since 2007 or '08, but with "fresh" profile every two years or so. I wanted to do it because I'm concerned about privacy, but I had to compromise since some of my friends refuse to communicate with me (and others) using anything else  :stressed:
It pisses me of, but there's nothing I can do. So I made a new profile, with fake name and nothing on it just for them, but I hope I'll get rid of that soon  :huh:

I'm currently deleting all the posts, tags and friends on my old profile manually (luckily there isn't much) because they tend too lurk on their servers long after you delete your account. I hope this will speed up the process. FB says before you permanently delete your acc, it'll take another 2 weeks to completely delete it (but not backups), but I heard some "horror stories" of people logging in after six months to check and their accounts were still there  :( I hope they mixed up deactivating and deleting.

What do you guys think of FB and what are your alternatives?
I'm using skype (not much better), a chat client called cryptocat, email (well, lavabit was closed recently so I lost my secure option) and (cell)phone.

I got rid of my facebook about 4 years ago and never looked back! I actually remember when it first came out and how cool it was that only college students with actual college email could have them. Once they opened them to general public I deleted and ran right away!

I did notice when old friends of mine and myself all get together I can actually talk to them verses their conversations
Friend 1: oh so did I tell you I got a puppy?
Friend 2: yeah I saw on face book
their conversation was over
Me: oh my gosh tell me about it!
and we were able to share a conversation.

I think facebook robs people of that, at least that's what I saw with my 2 gal pals.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2013, 12:51:08 PM »
Eh, I have a Facebook account, but I don't really use it. My info is limited on there, as are my posts.
If people really are my friends, I like to believe that they'd have the decency to send me an email if they can't get in contact with me on something like Facebook.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2013, 01:23:29 PM »
I hate FB! I got it in college because one of my gfs wanted me to use it. I deleted it when I started my teaching internship. We actually had to attend a huge seminar about how schools now look you up ect on there. I just decided my friends could call me.

I do have a sort of weird fB page now just to follow model horse stuff, but it doesn't have much info there and just some horsey pictures. I still don't like it. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal