collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some Kitty Kitty Kitten Talk, & Questions.  (Read 8600 times)

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
Some Kitty Kitty Kitten Talk, & Questions.
« on: August 20, 2013, 04:04:11 AM »
I'd like to find out about my kitten that I found, he's ginger with a white stripe down his forehead and nose, and his legs and paws are half white/half ginger. He originally had stripes (they are extremely faded now) so I believe this is Punkin? His tag is the original 1992 Tyco Kitty Kitty Kittens label. I'll get photos when I can ^.^

EDIT, here he is, Thomas Gatsby Junior, named as the name I have planned for my next kitten after the loss of my Ginger and white 9 year old boy, nearly 5 years ago:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

So my questions are:
1) He purrs beautifully, but the thought of a water bag inside him freaks me out (I don't know why), is there any way of knowing other than opening him to find out if he has one? Do all KKK's have them? I certainly cannot feel one in there, despite gentle squeezing. If he does have one, it must be deflated, but what's in a KKK tummy? Any photos?
2) What do the 1992 KKK's generally sell for? Mine is extremely loved, very dry old fur, but still beautiful with his green sparkly neck bow.
3) Anyone have a photo of the internal mechanisms? Purr thing and water bag?

Thank you so much for your time, let the KKK discussion commence!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:35:29 AM by Icecrystalline »

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
Re: Some Kitty Kitty Kitten Talk, & Questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:29:06 AM »
I do believe that is Punkin. I don't know terribly much about these, but stuff like this, with all the recalls and all, fascinate me, so I've been digging around to find some things about them.
1. I believe you can feel them gently to find out if they have a water bag.
2. No idea how much they sell for, sorry.
3. Again, I do not know of any photos of the internal mechanisms.
If his stomach is deflated, chances are his bag has popped and the water leaked out. He might smell bad, and if he has popped, you might want to take him for a scrub.
I found a couple of sites for Kitty Kitty Kittens:
http://www.inthe80s.com/toys/kittykittykittens.shtml
http://www.pranceatron.com/kittens/kittykittykittens.html

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:01:51 AM »
All Kitty Kitty Kittens had a water bladder inside.  I haven't seen one that still has any water in them anymore.  If you can't feel the water bladder inside but still inflated (of air) then it has either deflated or it popped.  If it smells you can clean him but you don't have to if he doesn't smell.  I'm guessing some of them had the water evaporate over time because there are still kitties out there with a full air filled bladder.

If he's in truly bad to fair shape he's worth $5-$10.  But if he's in fair/good shape he still might be worth $10-$15.  Kind of depends on all of his condition- fur, eye condition, nose condition, bladder, laundry tag, etc.... Different kitties bring a range of prices but that one isn't a rare or hard to find one but he's still a Kitty Kitty Kitten so he'll still be loved by any collector!

Others please feel free to agree or disagree with me on. :)

I've been getting actively collecting into these lately.  I think I have about 12 maybe? lol  I know Rhini is thinking of working on a webpage dedicated to them and trying to id them all.  There is a good one out there but it's not complete.  But there is still a lot of mysteries out there too. :)

« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 06:06:46 AM by FairyDust »

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:31 AM »
I used to have a calico one of these when they were still in stores...would like to get one of those again someday :)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 07:14:16 AM »
Okay the re-issue of KittyK's are the ones with the water bladder not the original versions.  They did not have one.  So, if you truly have the G1 KittyK then you will not be dealing with a water bladder.  I bought these G1 kitties where they were still being sold on the shelves. No water bladder. 

The re-issues were recalled due to the water bladder.  Hope this helps.  Please check completed auctions for your kitty.  Also please note that if you do not have a Tyco product there it is against ebay rules to sell the recalled re-issued kittens.  You are not supposed to sell recalled toys on ebay.  I don't know how they enforce it.

It should be made by Tyco written on the tag and bow goes all around the neck if it is the original.

Completed listings will tell you the value.  If she still has her whiskers and bow someone might about 20.00 for her. If she is in rough condition it will be less than 18.00.  I do not think she is a rare one so without a photo I am not certain.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 07:20:02 AM by tulagirl »

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Icecrystalline

• Guardian of Dreams
  • Trade Count: (+128)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • No longer active.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:33:01 AM »
Okay the re-issue of KittyK's are the ones with the water bladder not the original versions.  They did not have one.  So, if you truly have the G1 KittyK then you will not be dealing with a water bladder.  I bought these G1 kitties where they were still being sold on the shelves. No water bladder. 

The re-issues were recalled due to the water bladder.  Hope this helps.  Please check completed auctions for your kitty.  Also please note that if you do not have a Tyco product there it is against ebay rules to sell the recalled re-issued kittens.  You are not supposed to sell recalled toys on ebay.  I don't know how they enforce it.

It should be made by Tyco written on the tag and bow goes all around the neck if it is the original.

Completed listings will tell you the value.  If she still has her whiskers and bow someone might about 20.00 for her. If she is in rough condition it will be less than 18.00.  I do not think she is a rare one so without a photo I am not certain.

Sweet! Mine is the original, I have a photo but need mum off the computer to upload it since I struggle too much on my phone!! XD That makes me feel a lot more comfortable knowing no nasty bladder to deal with. He is so gorgeous so I couldn't possibly sell him now.

It was funny as the seller had a not very good Puss In Boots plush (poorly made), another catplush and then one with a recognisably shaped head, and I picked it up knowing the eyes gave away whether it was a KKK or not, and he was! I asked how much he was and she wanted 50p so I didn't even barter! Got him as well as a Rise Of The Guardians toy from her. Checked his tag after buying and he is original. Love him!

Thank you for all the info everyone :D x

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 07:37:16 AM »
Oh here is the recall for the re-issue of Kitty K's with the water bladder:

http://www.cpsc.gov/en/Recalls/2001/CPSC-DSI-Toys-Inc-Announce-Recall-of-Toy-Kittens/

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
Everyone here is spot on so far!  ^.^ I am indeed working on a website dedicated toward these lil critters, I have probably about 50? Right now and I'm compiling as much information as I can to have more complete knowledge of them.

I think Fairydust is spot on with her price check, probably around $10-15 depending on just how shabby he is, he's very common so he won't be one of the high priced kitties. Even in mint condition, I usually will only pay up to ~$40 for them at most. A little more if they have the original hang tags/are MIB/ or are very rare etc :)

As for the recall, any water inside has long since dried out even if the bladders haven't popped so I wouldn't worry terribly much. I have a few with the bladders still intact and there is no water left inside, just air. I've never opened one up before because well...I don't know if I could XD Now I'm super curious though  :wonder: Maybe if i find one in deplorable condition I'll open it up in the name of science :P

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 08:13:01 AM »
Ah, looks like you  were able to get a lot of info :D

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 08:25:13 AM »
As for the recall, any water inside has long since dried out even if the bladders haven't popped so I wouldn't worry terribly much. I have a few with the bladders still intact and there is no water left inside, just air. I've never opened one up before because well...I don't know if I could XD Now I'm super curious though  :wonder: Maybe if i find one in deplorable condition I'll open it up in the name of science :P

Yes for my non Tyco Kittens I found the bladders were dried up, I did pop them though and I washed the kitten to get rid of the bacteria.  Thank goodness one doesn't have to go through this process with the Tyco versions.  I love these little plushies.

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 08:31:32 AM »

Yes for my non Tyco Kittens I found the bladders were dried up, I did pop them though and I washed the kitten to get rid of the bacteria.  Thank goodness one doesn't have to go through this process with the Tyco versions.  I love these little plushies.
Personally I'm not terribly worried, but I have had to clean others before and they are pretty easy to clean. The washing machine WILL ruin them though.

Offline tulagirl

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 09:00:43 AM »
I have washed all of mine in the washing machine with no problems, but I double pillow case them, make sure they are in a large load on cool water, delicate cycle no machine dry.

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:01 AM »
My sister had one, I was jealous!  I am curious to see picture of the insides if anyone every experiments.

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 09:11:00 AM »
Yeah now that i think about it Tula it's probably the heat from the dryer that ruins them. It burns the hair and they get pretty much destroyed  :huh:

I've have washed a few with great success with just soap and water and letting them air dry for a day. I also have a special brush that's actually for my real cats that I use to brush them and it really makes them look nice again.

Star Spark

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 09:34:51 AM »
The timing of this thread is really funny, as I just found my old Kitty Kitty Jungle Kitten (the tiger). We threw her into the washing machine on high heat (the box she'd been in had been infested by rodents, so we had to wash everything in it thoroughly or throw it out) and she came through fine- the hair might have dried out a little, but she was already well loved and it was better than throwing her into the Dumpster (which would have broken my heart.) This one never had a water bladder, right? (it's a Tyco one.) Also, since there are experts in this thread, any tips for smoothing out bent whiskers?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal