collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Seriously Hasbro how many did you make?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Sakuyamon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • artist for hire
    • View Profile
    • http://Sakuyamon.deviantart.com
Re: Seriously Hasbro how many did you make?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
I actually love the crystals. It's the hard mane and the high price that put me off, plus I am not that into DJ Pon-3...and I already got the small normal brushable.

Offline Mori_LeStrange

• Trade Count: (+28)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2013, 11:29:50 AM »
I think its a little bit of both. They really missed the mark on what collectors and bronies both want. That added with the price means that even people that were on the fence with buying her would think twice. A G4 FS Surprise or Firefly would of probably been the best thing to get both markets interested. Those are the 2 G1 ponies I see get the most love from bronies.

I also think the fact that it was already known Funko was going to make a very similar Dj Pon3 figure for nearly a third of the price effected her sales too.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2013, 11:46:54 AM »
I think it would be awesome to have a G4 FS of Firefly or G3 Minty.

I don't think Firefly will every happen since I don't think they have the copyright for her anymore, but a G4 FS Minty would be sooooo great! That would make me so much more excited than this DJ Pon-3 pony did.

I really don't think that's the case. They just said that to keep us from asking for G1 characters. I see merch and t-shirts all the time with Firefly, Cupcake and several other G1 characters, most recently being that small backpack and journal at Walmart, so Hasbro still could make toys of them if they wanted to. If they lost the rights, they wouldn't be able to license out the characters like they do now.

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2013, 12:05:11 PM »
A G4 FS Surprise or Firefly would of probably been the best thing to get both markets interested. Those are the 2 G1 ponies I see get the most love from bronies.
That's likely due to Pinkie and Rainbow dash being almost their normal G4 counter parts if I'm not mistaking? Either way there is several reasons why I wouldn't buy her even now

1) Price
2) Lack of bushable hair
3) Too much bling and glitter

Mostly the first two, I 'd be able to remove the glitter from the legs as they sure as heck don't make sense to me!
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline xeevee

• Trade Count: (+159)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://x-eevee.deviantart.com
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2013, 02:34:07 PM »
I too think it's both.  They probably got super cocky after 'she-who-must-not-be-named' was so popular, and thought 'we'll make her a collectible of another popular character' we'll win for sure.

But lets face it, the target aren't huge of bling.  They did the bling in the worst way possible.  I mean it looks tacky.  I love glitter and crystals, but they either went over board of under board, I can't decide.  You can already get DJ as a brushable, where as that was not the case with Ditzy, not was anyone confident there would be another version due to the controversy.  And Funko are releasing similar looking ponies as what DJ was released as, for way less money.  Also $50, come on Hasbro, who are you kidding?

Yes I will admit it gives me secret hope that if she was a flop they will rethink next years plans! Does that make me a bad person?

I am totally the same.  I am not a fan of the last two exclusives at all.  I don't hate them.  If they were regular release, I would have bought Ditzy, but they aren't particularly special.  It's not like when G3s were out we just got heaps of different core 7 variants as exclusives.  Make the ponies special, and only available at the cons.  Don't make other versions of them.

Offline Starly

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2013, 02:43:13 PM »
Its funny because over the top fanmade G3 customs with tons of crystals and unnessesary additions are super popular.

Not trying to sound mean, it just seems to be a case of hasbro mixing together several popular things together trying to grab in everyone, but missing the mark. Like mixing together, pizza, hamburgers, ice cream, popcorn, and fresh fruit into a blender, hoping to make everyone enjoy it, but instead making vomit.

I still want last year's pony, but I'll likely never see her!
When the Equestria Girls dolls show up in stores and you end up with unneeded doubles, PM me! I'll buy them!/i]

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2013, 05:37:32 PM »
Yes I will admit it gives me secret hope that if she was a flop they will rethink next years plans! Does that make me a bad person?

I'm sure there's lots on the board who will agree with you - myself included!  I have both DJ and last year's exclusive, but that's really just because I prebuy the exclusive when I go to the Fair.  If I'd had to put any effort into getting either one I wouldn't have.  They're alright, but they don't have the beauty and charm of the previous Fair and SDCC exclusives IMO.  I'd much prefer to see an exclusive that's an original art creation again (and also a bigger fan of brushables, of course.)

Elf

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2013, 06:02:38 PM »
She might be less popular because she isn't a brushable! A bit of both I  think

If she was I would of bought her for sure.

Offline Bergamot

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Wafflehaus
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:06 PM »

1) Price
2) Lack of bushable hair

4) Too similar to the upcoming Funko release!

I camped the HTS website in the week following SDCC to snag one of these for a friend. It was a nice little rush to grab it when it was posted, but admittedly, I am a little bummed out to see that she's a shelf-warmer. There are a whole lot of things that came together to cause this, I think. Personally, she was an easy pass-- I don't think I ever wanted her at all, myself, and that's saying something. I'm a sucker for rare/exclusive stuff, and I usually get the "I wants" pretty easily!

Offline Skylar

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+211)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 06:25:44 PM »
No one seems to want to say it so I will. This pony just plain sucks. It was advertised as a 'premium exclusive figure' for the fair for $50 so many folks, myself included, expected something fantastic and special for that price and then turned out to be a Funko knockoff sprayed with crystals. Sort of makes you feel screwed over. I wish I had had the chance to dump mine at the fair as it has yet to see the light of day and unless someone buys it from me, it probably never will. Hopefully Hasbro will use this a lesson and chose more wisely next time!

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 07:04:31 PM »
I actually see her selling on eBay for *below list price* already.  this is the one and only exclusive I'm glad to have passed  up, there was just no place for an item like this in my collection. the 2012 one was iffy for me, but in the end, I got her, and I'm happy with her.  this one, from the first time I saw it, was a firm, 'no way is *that* coming home with me!', which says a lot...
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:42 PM »
I just hope Hasbro doesn't go "well, since the 2013 SDCC pony didn't sell well, that must mean no one wants one so we won't make any more." Like, instead of trying to figure out why we didn't like DJ, they instead just think that we don't want exclusive ponies, which isn't the case. But I really think that they need to start doing separate ponies again for SDCC and the fair. Not that there isn't some overlap, but for the most part, the collectors here don't want the same things the brony crowd does. Like brushables vs. molded hair, etc.

Offline HoustonCollector72

• Aquarius Pony Power
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 Ponies Rock :)
    • View Profile
    • my collection
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2013, 07:41:27 PM »
I just can't imagine that she wouldn't be popular, though... though I am a bit confused as to why she's not brushable. She just looks like a regular Funko toy, to me. Actually, now that I think about it, I wonder if she wasn't super popular because other people thought she was just a Funko, or one of those TRU exclusives, and didn't realize she was the Comic Con Exclusive pony...? Maybe she just doesn't look special enough?
she is more like  a "Design Pony " than a Funko, she is using FS size body :) , just a pre decorated  Design a Pony is what she is or he !LOL
GAMELOFT ID: balto72  Youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/2241pmth
Collection Page on FB https://www.facebook.com/BALTO72    Instagram http://instagram.com/balto8a     
Wanted G2 Mocs wanted list http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,328049.0.html

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2013, 08:01:44 PM »
This doesn't surprise me at all. I really do feel that Hasbro overestimated how popular this exclusive would be. Even thought it's of a crazy popular fan favorite FiM pony, a lot of people really passed on her.  Last year's Ditzy Doo exclusive was a huge hit [in part] because people weren't really expecting a brushable FS figure of her (out of all ponies).
If this year's DJ Pon-3 wasn't so "tacky blinged out", was at a lower price, and had brushable hair, I'd think she would certainly have sold a lot more. Certainly didn't help that we knew about the Funko version coming out, which pretty sure hurt sales as well. I also heard that you can't take her out of her box? Not sure if that's true or not.
Hopefully next year, Hasbro will make a brushable exclusive again. I do wonder if Hot Topic is going to have another SDCC MLP giveaway this year..

I had a feeling this would happen whenever the day SDCC DJ Pon-3 was revealed, I read/saw on EqD that at least half the people there were passing on her, saying that they'll just get the Funko one and save about $30. That did surprise me, considering I know how popular of a character she is.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »

1) Price
2) Lack of bushable hair

4) Too similar to the upcoming Funko release!

Lol wasn't counting that one as I don't pay attention to Funko XD
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal