collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Get rid of 50 things, part 2  (Read 6520 times)

GothMummy

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Get rid of 50 things, part 2
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2013, 03:28:18 PM »
Hmmm. Well, I can get into my garage now. And can store the pushchair and the kids scooters in there once more (i was sick of them cluttering up the hallway). I have 3 bags of clothes sorted  today to take to rags recyling, and two bags of kids toys sorted out for the charity shop.

But I felt so overwhelmed by everything, like all my "stuff" was crowding me out and suffocating, that i couldnt sleep last night :(  I tend to shove things in the master bedroom (my room) so that the rest of the house is clear and clutter free. So our bedroom is full of "junk shop" furniture that is no longer required elsewhere, boxes of stuff, books piled on the floor, and stuff stashed out of sight. Its not restful, or romantic :(  I need to make that a priority soon.

x

Offline Katika

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2013, 05:20:31 PM »
OMG, GothMummy, yes you do! I was planning on doing my master suite last in this adventure, but somehow got to it second and OH MY GOSH!!!  It's relaxing and calming and I LOVE being in that room now!  I've wanted a "grown up" feeling master bedroom since I got married, and it always became kind of a half-hearted catch-all.  I either got rid of or relocated EVERYTHING that wasn't clothing or sleeping related, got a couple nice rugs for the side of the bed and new curtains and it feels absolutely amazing!  Every woman deserves a relaxing master bedroom!!

I have been absolutely swamped with things other than being able to clean lately (BOOOO!!!) but I have been able to maintain the level of clean that I've reached so far, which is great progress from where I'd been.  I think the fact that all I have inside the house are the two back bedrooms really helps.  I'm slowly picking away at those rooms, but the rest of the house gets a 30 minute quick clean before bed and it lets me wake up to a clean house and really motivates me to keep it that way.  It's SO easy to do once you get a hold on it!!

Keep up the good work, everyone!  I can't wait until I can actually start adding to my list again - the barn still awaits and I already have a list of things that I know have to leave it!

GothMummy

« Reply #122 on: August 30, 2013, 01:28:44 PM »
Yes, you are right Katika. I want a grown up bedroom, suitable for a couple, rather than a dumping ground for "stuff"  that we sleep in! We got married at university, where we were used to cramming all our belongings into our bedroom (because of shared houses/university accomodation  etc) and have some how never lost that habit. I have two shelves of breyers and a bookcase of ponies and G1 playsets in our bedroom. I think I would like to relocate them as well so that we have a relaxing place to retreat from the kids.

Good luck with the barn, Katika! I know all about clearing barns! Not fun!
x

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 31, 2013, 02:51:52 PM »
Today I went through my old papers and magasines. Have you ever been to an ikea store? Then you have seen these big blue bags they have. Well, I filled one and a half. :shocked: But I'm very glad to have it done.

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 31, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
I finally "got rid of" my living room curtain rods, the caulking to fix the shed roof and the epoxy the glue a garden gnome's head back on by putting them all to good use!  YES!  Believe it or not, the poor gnome had been headless for almost three years - but I really love Angelo and he was a gift from two of my closest friends.  I knew he could be fixed, but I just wasn't getting around to doing it.

Unfortunately (?) though, I've realized that two "things" that I was supposed to give up are probably actually staying permanently, and they are my two accidental roosters.  I'm a vegetarian and my husband's too soft to eat anything that we raised and all of the meat eaters I know bailed on us.  So... Dewey and Dickie (if anyone watches Justified, yes, that's where their names came from) are having an actual, legit enclosure made for them so I can finally move them out of a renovated brooder/dog crate contraption in the barn.  That's been my weekend activity so far.

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 02, 2013, 11:32:47 AM »
Ok here i am so far, the list of what has been taken care of:
1. paper clutter gone
2. Broken fan gone
3. Old kids clothes gone or reused for dog bed (they dont eat the old clothes but destroy dog beds lol)
4. Baby toys/ gross bath toys (EWWW) gone
5. Diaper changing pad gone
6. Hubby's old out of date suits gone (thank god i needed the space lol)
7. Old clothes from high school (hehehe gone)
8. Old sheets that don't fit any beds we have anymore gone / clean and organize linen closet
9. finish painting kitchen (its been half done for like 4 months lol) and Clean the crap out of the kitchen (its sooo pretty now)
10. old clock that doesnt work with any other decor in my house GONE!
11. tupperware lids with no bottoms gone

So far pretty good, don't know if I'll make it to 50....
Next up:
~sell stuff (if i can lol)~
baby furniture (in progress)
VHS (in progress)
find all old magazines and trash them!
maybe time to sell back some old DVDs i dont watch or hated.
go through books (yikes)
go through craft supplies?  >_< or not we will see...

Edit for update
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 01:26:38 PM by CrazyCatPony »

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2013, 02:33:05 PM »
We scrubbed the hay out of the bathroom today and hung 3 tier towel rack on the back of the door. We took turns scrubbing the grout with a toothbrush and I scrubbed the tub till it shone. We threw out all the empty razors and shampoo bottles, and organized all the little trial size ones we have from hotels in a plastic drawer in the vanity.

Best cleaning agent ever is Lysol Power and Free.

Listing more things on Ebay; so far have ten auctions with several sales, so it's going out out out! 

Think we're going to put an old lamp on the curb or I can take it to Goodwill tomorrow, and I might fill up a tote bag of stuff to donate. I always hit Goodwill on Tuesdays for 50% days for my Ebay sales, and it's time to get rid of some things.

My goal is to get rid of the lamp, a lampshade, a box of glasses, some books, maybe a DVD or two to Goodwill.

We hauled up the Bissell SpotBot Pet thing from the storage space and are about to go to town on the couch. It hasn't been cleaned heavily since we bought it and I think with the cats and just dust, dander, etc, it needs to happen.

Keep at it everyone, you're doing fabulous.

Also! Don't neglect your car

You probably spend a lot of time in your vehicle, and need to clean it up as well. Take it for a car wash, break out the Armoral, scrubs the floor mats, vaccuum it out, toss the trash, get a car organizer. You'll find good if you come from a clean car to a clean house!

Some tips

http://www.detailxperts.net/blog/2012/09/20/7-steps-for-car-interior-cleaning/
http://pinterest.com/search/pins/?q=organize%20your%20car

« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 02:43:51 PM by StoryDreamer »
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Katika

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 02, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
StoryDreamer - my cars are totally on my list of places to get to!  I'm trying to save them towards the end, though, because I anticipate them being easier than the actual house :)

So far today, I've gotten rid of the following:

(I have no idea what number I'm on at the moment... I guess I have homework to do!)

*My air purifier.  I'm not sure how well it actually purified the air, but I used it religiously for the first two years I had it, and then it's literally been just sitting there collecting dust for the other three years.  And you know what?  I don't notice a difference between when it was on and when it was off.  So, considering I haven't used it and don't even know if it did its job at all, it's going.

*Bags and bags (and bags) of old, shriveled up day lily bulbs.  I made the mistake of asking my dad for some bulbs last spring, since they are taking over a good chunk of his yard, and he brought me about eight bags worth.  I gave some away, and planted some, but the rest "wintered" inside the house, in one of our back rooms, and dehydrated themselves beyond coming back.  I also got rid of several old seed packets that had been exposed to water. 

*Dead pens and pencils.  Oh.  My gosh.  One of the downfalls of being an amateur writer?  I collect pens and pencils.  Even ones that don't work.  And even though I already had about five hundred of them (may or may not be an exaggeration ;) ).  I spent the better part of an hour checking which ones were even still working and then tossed a LOT.  The best part is, I can now see all of them in the drawer, as opposed to needing to dig for certain ones.  (I hope I'm not the only writer that seeks out "good writing juju" from her pens...)

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 02, 2013, 04:37:57 PM »
LOL, I don't write with pens and pencils. I mean in my planner, but.. not anywhere else. I guess I should take to carrying a notebook again. Last time I did, I got ink in my new car :(

So my cat peed on the couch. Cause she is AMAZING. Sigh. So it's Scotchguarded, which is good, but I decided to hit that spot hard. We vaccuumed the whole couch, then since we didn't have spotbot cleaning fluid, we used the scotchguard spray, let that soak in, then I took a damp sponge and scrubbed it. Once it dried, I made a paste of baking soda and water, and scrubbed with that. Pillows got wiped down with Nature's Miracle. She should not have the urge to do it again!  (My fault, I left a paper towel on the couch, she will nail anything that is left on the couch)

Anyhow, I recommend baking soda paste for smells! LOL.

Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

faeriesblood

« Reply #129 on: September 02, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »
Oh man everyone is doing so well  :blush:

This wednesday it will be official that I got rid of these things. I'm saying that because I'll be shipping some things out that day xD
1. clothes
2. books
3. old photos (threw out)
4. photo albums/scrapbooks (cleaned out and donated)
5. FS Rainbow Dash
6. MH coffin jewelry box
7. riding helmet

Post Merge: September 02, 2013, 05:41:08 PM

LOL, I don't write with pens and pencils. I mean in my planner, but.. not anywhere else. I guess I should take to carrying a notebook again. Last time I did, I got ink in my new car :(

So my cat peed on the couch. Cause she is AMAZING. Sigh. So it's Scotchguarded, which is good, but I decided to hit that spot hard. We vaccuumed the whole couch, then since we didn't have spotbot cleaning fluid, we used the scotchguard spray, let that soak in, then I took a damp sponge and scrubbed it. Once it dried, I made a paste of baking soda and water, and scrubbed with that. Pillows got wiped down with Nature's Miracle. She should not have the urge to do it again!  (My fault, I left a paper towel on the couch, she will nail anything that is left on the couch)

Anyhow, I recommend baking soda paste for smells! LOL.

Oh my god! You poor thing lol! I had a female cat who decided to go everywhere once she started getting old. It's so strange, you would think male cats are more prone to peeing indoors?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 05:41:08 PM by faeriesblood »

Offline SilverHealer

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I love lamp!
    • View Profile
    • Goddess Within
« Reply #130 on: September 02, 2013, 10:44:52 PM »
Updated my original post on page 8! Man, I am on a roll! :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

[ adoptables from pixel forum GLAM! | Av by SDS ]

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 03, 2013, 12:08:19 AM »
I send out some pony packages, trying to keep myself in the loop with all the sales and inquiries. But I did get rid of some things in a storage bin (mainly old clippings, childhood toys which were old aiki noodle forks that fold) Random horse pictures clippings etc, I used to have this huge folder where I glued everything in that had anything to do with horses.

And I so need to clean my car, but it's never home! Boyfriend drives it to work now and he leaves ton of stuff in there (I do to but I regularly clean it out) It has this welding smell to it now. I'll be happy when he has his own car.

Today: processing some berries I had stuffed in the freezer to make jam, yesterday already did a rhubarb pile
and find myself a box to fit these mlp puzzles in so I can finally get a shipping quote to the interested buyer.

Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 03, 2013, 05:37:09 PM »
I'd join this if I could keep track how much stuff I get rid of on a day to day basis. My mother, is a hoarder not TV bad but enough to drive me nuts. I for one if I haven't used something within a year I get rid of it. I've been selling stuff on ebay, however if it doesn't sell in 2 weeks it gets donated. Except big items, those I let sit as at the moment is dead time on ebay. Next month or two it'll pick up again with holiday sales. I wish everybody luck with cleaning out their spaces! I've been cracking away at all my childhood toys n such.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline CrazyCatPony

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • 1st step is to admit you have a problem, i dont :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 07, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »
Ok
12. Old magazines gone
13. Got rid of a bunch of old books ill never read
14. Cleared out some storage drawers in the closet got rid of 3/4 of what was in there.

Working on selling some stuff...
Progress is slow but ill get there..,

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 07, 2013, 11:15:25 AM »
Ok let's see if I can get this all right,

1. Old t-shirts
2. socks I don't wear anymore
3. crafting supplies that really were trash
4. a few books
5. old boxes
6. about 10 large paper sacks of magazines
7. old electronic things that don't work
8. game cases and dvd cases that were taking up room
9. out of date medicines
10. does getting rid of a complete medical bill count?! 

I know I am kinda behind, but I'm working on it as fast as I can.  I need to go through the magazine clippings I've saved for jewelry inspiration and whatnot, get those put up on pinterest, and toss them after that.  I also need to get my recipes organized, but that will definitely take time.  I've been organizing for my mom, so that sort of counts, right?  xD 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal