collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where my writers at? Chat with me about writing.  (Read 549 times)

Offline Nightbow

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • A figment of your imagination
    • View Profile
Re: Where my writers at? Chat with me about writing.
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 11:15:00 AM »
What do you write?

When I was a wee gal I wrote two long illustrated series called "Yoshi and Dino" and "The killer whale and the dolphin", both stories about the adventures of two best friends (the second friendship naturally being a little more controversial than the first, where both character where dinosaurs).

When I started school I always took the opportunity to write my own stories whenever I could, taking A4 paper stapled together with a coloured sheet of paper and folding into little books. The stories mostly revolved around animals. Like in the Disney movies Bambi and The Lion King, the main character grew up, found a spouse and completed the circle of life.
When I was still a small kid my dad let me play with the typewriter, and I moved on to writing on computer when I was no longer than seven and produced my first novel, "the young roe". It sucked, of course. It didn't have a red thread, a consistent opening, middle or ending, but I had fun writing it.

In my dark teenage years I wrote a lot of insightful, beautiful, and awful poetry. I also wrote one very short, romantical piece of self-inserted fanfiction - probably the among the most embarrasing thing I ever produced.
I also started online text RPGing at 14 years old. 

(TL;DR my life's story, I know, but I always enjoy reading what others wrote when they were still kids!)

It was sometime in my late teens I sprouted the idea that would become what I'm still currently working on, "Wild Rose". It has been in production for over five years and rewritten at least that many times.
Basically it's a story about what I would have wanted to read as a kid, mixing much material from my favourite books and movies growing up. But it is also my self biography in a sense. Disguised as a children's story, it's about feeling left out and finding your way. Finding home. It gets pretty deep and kind of dark at times.

Fiction? Non-fiction?

My current story is fictional. It has both "talking" animals (quotation marks because they don't actually talk in any human language and don't understand other species than temselves) and elements of magic.

When finished I dream of someday writing a fantasy epic. Something unique. Something with twists and turns. I'm writing down every single idea I'm getting. As a creative process, this has been going on at least for as long as "Wild Rose", but I haven't had a clear view of what I want to do since a very peculiar dream I had earlier this year.

Wouldn't try non-fiction unless I went back to writing poetry and essays, I think.

What are you working on now?

Text and illustrations for Wild Rose.

What's your favorite thing to write?

For leisure I still role-play, but Wild Rose is my baby.

Are you published anywhere?

No! Not yet! It's secret! It's safe!

Do you have writer's block? How do you cure it?

No. I have it all planned out. I've just taken a looong hiatus from writing because of my writers block. I just came back from working the entire summer and I'm shock full of new ideas to use when completing my final chapters, but it's hard getting back into it. I think I'll need to force myself to look at it sometime this semester, and I'll fall right back into it!

Do you write to music?

I could never wrap my head around them musical notes. But I love writing verses! Going to to put some spell incantations into my work.

What genre could you never write?

Romance. Ugh ugh ick *throws a copy of Twilight (that I don't have) from the balcony*
I bet there are good romance novels but these were never my genre. Good romances should preferably be naturally worked into other works of fiction, not be the main focus of them!

Read any books or blogs on writing and want to recommend some?

I have some articles from Writer's Digest bookmarked. Guess I at some point in time found these particularly helpful or fun to read.

http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/5-story-mistakes-even-good-writers-make
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/10-ways-to-launch-strong-scenes
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/how-to-use-an-outline-to-write-a-first-draft
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/how-to-write-effective-supporting-characters
http://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/what-is-a-minor-character-understanding-the-minor-characters-role
I'm looking to buy Port-o-Bella. Please email me.

Offline scarletjul

• Trade Count: (+260)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »
*waves to fellow writers!*

What do you write?

Fiction, mostly romances and fairy-tale inspired.  And fanfics.  Occasional poetry.

Fiction? Non-fiction?

Fiction, almost exclusively.

Lots of stuff.  :). I'm horrible at finishing things bit I'm brilliant at starting them.

Romantic fiction.

Online and I had a poem in an anthology.

Often.  I'll try to just think about the story at night from a different angle or skip the section I'm at and move ahead - often I get ahead of myself and know where I want to be but not how to get there.

And then sometimes, I just stop writing until it goes away.  :P

Do you write to music?

Never.  I get too distracted by it.

Don't know.  Probably westerns but I like to try to and write in at least every genre once.

No. . .  Writing is very instinctual for me but I appreciate the usefulness of blogs and books.  :)
Sales on HOLD!
Pony sales!

Water_Fire

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
I'm also gonna 'bookmark' this page, I'll be back later! :D

Offline VanillaBean

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.VanillaTwist.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 01:33:11 PM »
What do you write?
Horror & fantasy stories, children's lit, comedy scripts... a bit of a mixed bag, really xD
Fiction? Non-fiction?
Fiction. There's nothing like a bit of escapism. :)
I've got a big animation project going right now, & I'm currently writing the script for the pilot episode. It's a slice-of-life nonsense comedy, & ridiculously fun to write.  :P
Horror & fantasy, anything imaginative.
Not yet, but I've written a children's story I'd like to submit, just got to finish the illustrations & psych myself up to send it off.
I'm constantly doubting myself, so I usually just roll with it. xD But I find that absorbing myself in a good book helps. & playing a game or something whilst going over my current storyline in my head.
Do you write to music?
Sometimes movie soundtracks. Anything with lyrics breaks my concentration.
Romance.  :P I'm the least romantic person ever, & I personally find the genre dull & predictable.
Stephen King's 'On Writing.' The man's a legend.  :biggrin:
Hunting for G2 MLP & Pretty Pony Club magazines! :)

Offline Prince Primbrose

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Quit horsin around!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
(Nudges writing thread with foot)

Is anyone else here taking any writing classes or working on anything fun?

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
I'm writing a story for a fic exchange as a gift. It has mermaid smuggling. I'm also working on a Night Vale list of community college courses, for funsies.

What do you write?

Mostly fanfic is what gets finished 'cause I do it for or with other people, but I mostly write sci-fi/fantasy fiction.

Fiction? Non-fiction?

Tres fiction.

Detective hired to by an undead teenager to solve his murder, and a sci-fi one set in the future about problematic soldiers sent to die on a station in far off space. Also plotting out a future needs solved travelogue of a woman collecting open source 'real' food recipes for replicators, and one about a girl in a museum haunted by dinosaurs.

People talking.

Naw. That would involve me finishing.

Deadlines.

Do you write to music?

Yes. Orchestral.

I'd say something, then I'd want to try it.

Not at the moment.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 09:52:42 PM by Rosencrantz »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Firehooves

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • G1 is magic, FiM is tragic!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 09:58:04 PM »
I write, though I'm only concentarating on one thing at the moment.

What do you write?

fanfiction

two My Little Pony generational fanfictions

adventure and romance fanfics

Not yet, after I move on from fanfic writing, I might try my hand at original fiction

read and take walks to clear my mind for insparation.
Do you write to music?
Yep, mostly celtic and techno
any type of non sci-fi/fantasy fiction. Soooooo boring! -_-
Nope, just reccomend my fics for mlp fans! ^^

The firehooves family; Tornado, Twilight, Ember and Drummer
my G1/MLP Tales/G3/G4 fanfics-
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/3280710/FireHoof
My tumblr: http://tornadofirehoovesuniverse.tumblr.com/

Offline SilverHealer

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I love lamp!
    • View Profile
    • Goddess Within
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 10:53:48 PM »
What do you write? I mostly write fantasy, with some paranormal and the occasional sci-fi. 
Fiction? Non-fiction? Fiction.
What are you working on now? I'm currently working on several short stories to get over my long-term writer's block.
What's your favorite thing to write? Definitely fantasy. 
Are you published anywhere?  Nope.
Do you have writer's block? How do you cure it? I have it something fierce! I usually cure it by reading :)
Do you write to music? Yep, a wide mix.
What genre could you never write?  Horror.
Read any books or blogs on writing and want to recommend some? No, unfortunately!

[ adoptables from pixel forum GLAM! | Av by SDS ]

Lightning Twirl

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2013, 01:08:31 AM »
I like to write! :D

Fiction, since its an escape from the real world, a place to blow iff steam by being imaginative! My first story I wrote was in second grade. Lol it was a series of novels about the pokemon Ammonite, the pritagonist was named Nile and his parebts were Omastars! xD I would write about his adventures on the ancient beaches of the prehistoric pokemon world, his friend was Kabuto and another Ammonite. Prehistoric/ancient pokemon were all in the series, including mew! I wrote 6 of them and crappily illustrated them with college ruled loose-leaf paper! xD

I am currently trying to write a fanfic about my ponysona, L.T. and how she came to be. I am trying to develop how she got her massive wings for being a tiny pegasus. I was thinking a rare birth/growth deformity like Rudolf lol or originally being an earth pony, discovering how to use lightning.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 03:30:45 AM by Lightning Twirl »

Offline Thrice

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I drop science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 01:59:34 AM »
What do you write?
-Fantasy with epic journeys, hellish creatures, and Oxford commas.

Fiction? Non-fiction?
-Fiction. :)

-Molasses, I think.

-Unrequited glances of yearning.

-HA!!

-Alllll the time. I usually just wait for it to pass while I work on something else that makes me happy.

Do you write to music?
-Yes. Helps with tone.

-Historical fiction? Too much research.

-I recommend articles on how to avoid creating a Mary Sue (there are lots), Strunk & White's Elements of Style (book), TV Tropes, and http://reasoningwithvampires.tumblr.com/, because it makes me laugh.

Offline Dawn

• Trade Count: (+45)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 02:27:56 AM »
What do you write? I'm a translator, so I guess that kinda counts as writing :P I also like to blog and occasionally write short stories.
Fiction? Non-fiction? A bit of both. For work it's always non-fiction (mainly texts about art).
What are you working on now? I just started writing a short story that primarily is about a relationship between two very egocentric, narcistic people, but is actually meant as a kind of eulogy to a town I used to live in (I know, everything I do is extremely sentimental! x)
What's your favorite thing to write? I like trying to describe atmosphere, scenery, and small sensory details.
Are you published anywhere? I'm going to have my name published in an auction catalogue I translated if that counts lol!
Do you have writer's block? I only write for pleasure when I feel like it, so writer's block isn't really that relevant to me.
Do you write to music? Ususally no, because I always end up singing along and not concentrating x)
What genre could you never write? I don't think I could ever write anything with a very complex storyline or with too many characters, I find it difficult to imagine more than one thing going on at once (fail, I know xD)
Read any books or blogs on writing and want to recommend some? No, but my fiance once read a book about writing by Stephen King, and he seemed to find that helpful.

Offline LeighAnnApanites

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "...there is too much, let me sum up."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 08:04:20 AM »
It's been great reading all these responses! I'm going to do this real quick, because I now feel really motivated to write and I'm actually going to go do it.

What do you write? Anything except poetry. I write really awful, teenage angst-y poetry. Southern fiction (a little bit Gothic), short shorts. Every time I try to write something funny, it turns into a horror story. I worry what that might say about me! :lol:

Fiction? Non-fiction? Both, either

What are you working on now? Some short stories and I just figured out how to fix the novel I've been not working on for months. Nothing like cutting out several characters and a whole plot line to get a story going again.

What's your favorite thing to write? A whole anything.

Are you published anywhere? I used to work for my local paper and was published weekly and I have a short piece in an anthology. But nothing recently.

Do you have writer's block? How do you cure it? I wouldn't exactly call it writer's block, but I do seem to be afraid that I will be mauled by a bear if I sit down and write.

Do you write to music? Not usually

What genre could you never write? I hate to say I'd never write something

Read any books or blogs on writing and want to recommend some? I agree with folks about Anne Lamot's books and the one by Steven King.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2013, 08:48:16 AM »
Fiction? Non-fiction?  I write mainly non-fiction for my freelance writing gigs, but when I'm writing for myself, fiction.

What are you working on now?  Nothing.  I'm such a bad English degree holder.  XD

What's your favorite thing to write?  I like to write short stories that have heavy focus on sensory details.

Are you published anywhere?  Yes, with my non-fiction.  It's mostly uncredited, boring content, but I have a couple of literary critiques published in academic journals.

Do you have writer's block? How do you cure it?  I get it quite frequently.  Taking breaks and watching my favorite movies or a good documentary help me quite a bit.

Do you write to music?  When I'm writing fiction, yes.  It helps me shape my setting.

What genre could you never write?  Romance, probably.  I've included some romantic material in my short stories, but I could never write a blatant romance story/novel.

Read any books or blogs on writing and want to recommend some?  I tend not to read blogs on writing.  It's a personal preference.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal