collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Pony genealogy...  (Read 781 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Re: Pony genealogy...
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2013, 08:00:51 PM »
I always figured the guys at Hasbro just weren't paying attention!

I'm sure that's actually exactly what it was, haha :biggrin:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 08:31:27 PM »
Well, genetically I think we have two options (if thinking how it would possibly work in real life). Do we know anyting about their fathers? Not as far as I can remember.. So we can only assume that:
a) the unicorn and pegasus genes are dominant, which means that one of the parents has to be one to produce one
b) the unicorn and pegasus genes are recessive, which means that both of the parents have to carry the gene in guestion. They can also be unicorns or pegasi themselves, but it's not necessary, they just both need to carry the gene to produce offspring like that.
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 09:44:32 PM »
Totally right Filthy - but for the sake of argument, like... Milky Way and her Pegasus baby, means that the father technically SHOULD be a pegasus to give the baby that gene... but, we have no truly "identified" pegasus boys made by Hasbro. Similarly, Up Up and Away's baby daddy should be a unicorn, but again, no unicorn boys. Now, again, some people designated males in their own herds that aren't "big brothers", but all I'm saying is... I kinda wish we had peg and uni boys!! :biggrin:

My Want List

Offline Filthy

• The Crazy Cat Lady
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »
Totally right Filthy - but for the sake of argument, like... Milky Way and her Pegasus baby, means that the father technically SHOULD be a pegasus to give the baby that gene... but, we have no truly "identified" pegasus boys made by Hasbro. Similarly, Up Up and Away's baby daddy should be a unicorn, but again, no unicorn boys. Now, again, some people designated males in their own herds that aren't "big brothers", but all I'm saying is... I kinda wish we had peg and uni boys!! :biggrin:
There are several male unicorns, like the Re Unicorno mentioned earlier, other Italians (can't remember which ones), mexican, and lots of others I probably don't even know about! :P Don't know about the pegasus males though as I'm mainly concentrated on unicorns.
Maybe the mares were on a vacation in some exotic/other than their home countries and had a few 'flings' which resulted in these few odd babies? :biggrin:
Thanks to Mandy85 for my avatar

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 10:48:24 PM »
There are several male unicorns, like the Re Unicorno mentioned earlier, other Italians (can't remember which ones), mexican, and lots of others I probably don't even know about! :P Don't know about the pegasus males though as I'm mainly concentrated on unicorns.
Maybe the mares were on a vacation in some exotic/other than their home countries and had a few 'flings' which resulted in these few odd babies? :biggrin:

Hahah they're the "mail-pony's" babies!! :haha:

My Want List

Offline Aquarel

• Trade Count: (+41)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Forever busy with stuff...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 12:02:22 AM »

Hahah they're the "mail-pony's" babies!! :haha:

Lol sunshine! :p
Selling some ponies to pay for the vet bills of abandoned rabbits I adopted!
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385086.msg1626364.html#msg1626364:frog:

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2013, 12:04:49 AM »
Totally right Filthy - but for the sake of argument, like... Milky Way and her Pegasus baby, means that the father technically SHOULD be a pegasus to give the baby that gene... but, we have no truly "identified" pegasus boys made by Hasbro.

How about Argie Baby Ribbs? He's a baby boy pegasus. I doubt he has reached sexual maturity yet though.

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2013, 12:45:44 AM »
Hhm...

If unicorn is recessive then unicorn babies with an earth mum (like UUA) might not even need a unicorn dad, as long as both parents have a 'u' allele.  :)

The pegasus with unicorn mum (like Milky Way) implies pegasus would be dominant to unicorn, so she really would need a pegasus daddy.  :nod:

In G4 it's evolved into a crazy gene complex, where pegasus seems to be a recessive trait that sometimes only develops under certain conditions to make alicorns!  :shocked:

The thing that confuses me most is their colours and symbols being the same as mum's...this could make sense in babies that are completely identical to mum (like AJ), if the ponies were facultatively asexual (meaning when no boys are around they can just clone themselves  :lol:).

But it doesn't make sense for those that clearly, definitely needed a dad - why do they inherit his unicorn/pegasus genes but none of his colouring. Unless 'coat colour' as it were is linked to the sex chromosomes and only baby boys would look like their dad... (like argie baby ribbs?) :shrug:

I think I might be over analysing  :lookround:

After all is said and done, I wish Hasbro had made daddy Pegasi and Unicorns!   ;)

**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Tabbyclaw

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2013, 01:28:27 AM »
Isn't it obvious? Ponies are predominately female, but can change sex as necessitated by a lack of viable males during a breeding period. I can't be the only one who saw Jurassic Park! Life finds a way!

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2013, 04:31:18 AM »
I am just going to go with "magic"...its how I explain a lot of things which are beyond my understanding - like algebra and how you get ships in bottles :P
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Whippycorn

• Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:09 AM »
How DO they get ships in bottles?!  :blink:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:57 AM »
I am just going to go with "magic"...its how I explain a lot of things which are beyond my understanding - like algebra and how you get ships in bottles :P
:ohyeah:

Lol well I know one way but there may be more than one way xD
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 05:41:27 AM by sd_dreamcrystal »
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Dewprincess

• Trade Count: (+125)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »

I tried that with algebra!  It...didn't get me an A.  Or a B....

I'd vote for unicorn and pegasus being recessive traits for the most part.  For all the gens other than G4, there seem to be LOTS more earth ponies than either unicorns or pegasi.  Perhaps by G4 the genes for the other breeds are spread out so much among Equestria that they are turning up more frequently!

Offline LittleSpiffy

• Spifftastic!
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2013, 07:30:15 AM »

Shrink rays!

Offline happycootie

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • G1 collector & animal lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2013, 07:42:28 AM »
Isn't it obvious? Ponies are predominately female, but can change sex as necessitated by a lack of viable males during a breeding period. I can't be the only one who saw Jurassic Park! Life finds a way!

-Tabby
the princess with claws

Heehee! I like your theory!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal