collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Is Collecting Who We Are Or What We Do?  (Read 906 times)

BigHicks1977

• Trade Count: (0)
Is Collecting Who We Are Or What We Do?
« on: July 18, 2013, 04:00:05 PM »
I have been on this forum now for a few months and have been a toy collector most my life and I was just wondering if collecting is something we do or has it become WHO we are......If I had to answer this I would have to say its who I am....im big dave the toy guy all my family and friends know this and I am very very proud....when I go anywhere I always have an eye out for toys even when I go on vacation im like YAY a new place to hunt lol......and I just wanted to know if anyone else on here felt the same way or something similar let me know

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Is Collecting Who We Are Or What We Do?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:11:00 PM »
Hm.  I think that loving toys is a very big part of who I am, and anyone who gets to know me quickly finds out my enthusiasm for my  ponies and transformers.  On the other hand, there are times when I choose NOT to talk about or look for toys in order to accommodate other events/people, and I would not put my collection ahead of my family.  So while collecting is far more than a casual entertainment for me, I don't let it become the sole focus of my life, either.

Offline Tap Dancer

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Dance 'n Prance with me! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 04:13:33 PM »
I'm far from being a hardcore collector. I haven't actively looked for ponies in years. I go through "spells," I guess, and even then I tend to be lazy. I like shopping online, so I rarely go out looking for things in "the real world." Yard sales, flea markets, and thrift stores are not for me.

For me, it's something I do and definitely not who I am.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:09 PM »
Haha, hello big Dave the toy guy :D I think it's wonderful to be open about collecting. While i'm 100% open about loving ponies and collecting, and my whole house is full of toys on display, I rather think this is what I do, more than who I am.
I think most people will think of me in terms of loving animals (especially spiders), i think that is my main defining feature.

I think that is mainly due to me not actively buying ponies online, I mostly lurk in our local thrift shop (just one) and on the craigslist-type website so I don't really spend much time hunting and acquiring ponies.they are a big part of my life, but nor one of the main parts I guess :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 04:23:41 PM »
I have always been a collector. I like to collect things cause it makes me happy. It also give me something to do in my spare time. Having a hobby is great to anyone to have!

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 04:24:49 PM »
My name is Jessica, and I'm: devoted spouse, family person, English teacher, student, dog and horse momma, horseback rider/ex can chaser, animal lover, feminist, supporter of equal rights, writer (for amusement), belly dancer(just watch me shimmy! lol) , amateur sewer and leather worker, lover of softball and roller derby, lover of black white slasher/horror movies, extreme reader(I'm talking books...more books than ponies or model horses for sure) and collector of lots of things other than  just MLP.

I don't think a person can be defined or known simply by something they collect. That's just one side of a multi dimensional person. Def just something I do and a tiny part of my person.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 04:35:17 PM by madhatterda »
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
I think collecting is more something I do. I could give up collecting or move on to other things and not feel like I've lost a part of myself. It's a hobby. I enjoy it a lot and it keeps me occupied and entertained. While my hobbies and the things I like may give hints into what kind person I am, I don't see them as defining me.

BigHicks1977

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 04:31:54 PM »
I think collecting is more something I do. I could give up collecting or move on to other things and not feel like I've lost a part of myself. It's a hobby. I enjoy it a lot and it keeps me occupied and entertained. While my hobbies and the things I like may give hints into what kind person I am, I don't see them as defining me.
See that is one of the things that makes me say its WHO I amI could never give it up and if I had to I would be letting go of a part of myself DONT get it wrong I am a son a brother I am a good man who loves many different things like nature and art but at my core I am THE TOY GUY lol

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 04:35:05 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I don't think I could give up my childhood ponies either, they mean so much to me and they have been with me through thick and thin.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

BlondePonyTail

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 04:44:24 PM »
Toy collecting has become such an integral part of our family. We all collect our own things, and all look out for each others interests. It is our #1 source of entertainment.  I think it has quickly become one of the largest facets of who we are as a family. And I love that. <3

Offline MikeysGrrrl

• Penguin Snuggle Pony
  • Trade Count: (+95)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Whatever you become, be an amazing one!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 04:47:01 PM »
For me it's what I do, actually both my husband and I are toy collectors (he loves the ponies just as much as me lol).
It's also a phase thing for me, I have spells where I go on a buying binge, and then there will be times where I have no interest in actively seeking them out. That's not to say that I wouldn't buy something if it caught my eye, I love pretty things in pretty packaging :P I couldn't sound more girly if I tried there  :lol:

Last year we were all about collecting diecast Honda Civic's, our fav car, we had almost every single hotwheels, matchbox, johnny lightning etc... our collection in a manner of months went from 2 that were a gift from my husband to covering our entire dining room wall, that collection even spanned outwards to including other diecast vehicles that we liked.

But for me, it's definitely not who I am or what defines me. What defines me or makes me who I am is my creativity, my crazy tattoo skills, my bubbly personality, my amazing cooking skills etc... Collecting toys (or as hubby referred to them "investments for the future") are just one of the fun things we love doing together.

It's a bonding thing for us :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MimiTheMuse

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:23 PM »
Honestly? I think it's both! I've always collected one type of toy or another, even when I went through that period from 17 to 20 when I was "too old" for toys I faithfully collected the Pooh plushies from the Disney Store. And since 2003, with the start of G3, that sent me into pony passion and overall toy obsessive-ness. I love collecting and it makes me very happy! And my family and friends love that they always know what to get me for holidays/birthdays! XD I'm known for my creativity and my love of animals the most...and I think both of those things are combined in my pony collecting. So 'crazy lady stalking toy aisles' is part of who I am and collecting toys is what I do! So much so that I'm trying to turn it into a business! But at the end of the day it makes me happy, so does anything else REALLy matter? :)

Offline Elfpony

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+71)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »
I'm a geek about so many things, ponies included, it's very much who I am. That's not to say I couldn't walk away from my collection(s) if need be. If the house is on fire I'm going to get the people and pets out, not worry about the ponies. But participating in geek culture, including on here, is definitely a part of who I am.

Elf

BigHicks1977

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 05:02:03 PM »
I'm a geek about so many things, ponies included, it's very much who I am. That's not to say I couldn't walk away from my collection(s) if need be. If the house is on fire I'm going to get the people and pets out, not worry about the ponies. But participating in geek culture, including on here, is definitely a part of who I am.

Elf
Im a pretty big man so im thinking I could grab both lol here is just one pic of my place

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 05:02:11 PM »
It's never been who I am. :) It's something I did for sure, and now something my girls do.

I am a teacher, in more ways than one. That defines me. Ponies are my hobby. Awesome hobby, but just a hobby. :slug:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal