collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Sewing machine... need guidance!  (Read 729 times)

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
Sewing machine... need guidance!
« on: July 06, 2013, 03:38:23 PM »
* Sugar waves

Hey, crafty ponies!

I want to get into making things - clothing, stuffies, etc. - which I thoroughly enjoyed once upon a time and would love to try doing again.

Being as I'm a total noob for machine sewing (though I'm a fairly dab hand with hand-sewing, and needlecraft in general), I'd appreciate the input from those among you who have more experience than I do. ^.^  I don't want to spend a fortune for something that may prove to elude me, so what's a good basic machine for a beginner, but good enough to produce something wearable?

Thanks in advance!
:fireworks:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
Re: Sewing machine... need guidance!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 04:00:08 PM »
Hey Sugar! Sewing is so much fun, and I bet you get a response from others more experienced than me. I've only been sewing since December, but I got this machine and love it.

http://www.hancockfabrics.com/Brother-Free-Arm-Sewing-Machine-Model-LS-590-Standard-Sewing-Machines_stcVVproductId53352311VVcatId539684VVviewprod.htm

It's a good machine for me. From the reviews I've read people that area  bit more experienced have commented that while they later got a different machine they kept this one as a back up since it was a pretty good one. I dunno though I'm still learning. Hope you find a nice one that you like!  I went to Hancocks and talked to the staff there about sewing. They were super friendly and were able to tell me about all the different machines. Your best bet might be going to a local store and asking some questions in person?
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Mismatch

• Trade Count: (+70)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 06:05:45 PM »
I like old Singer sewing machines because they're usually pretty heavy-duty.  The newer ones like the Brother models are probably more portable though since I think they're made of plastic?  The one I have is an old Singer that I picked up at a thrift store for $25... but my Dad had someone who used to recondition sewing machines check it over first, so I'm not sure if that's the best option for everyone.

Shrugs.  Let me know what you get... I'm looking forward to seeing the results of the craftiness!

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 09:39:50 AM »
Ah, I think im in your boat.  Im great sewing by hand (and have made clothing article, from scratch, with hand sewing) but ive never used an actual machine before.

Best of luck with what you decide to get^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Radha

• Trade Count: (+30)
  • So Soft Pony
  • It goes ding when there's stuff!
    • View Profile
    • Tactile Memories
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
I started sewing around December, also, since I started belly dancing- costumes are crazy expensive!  I took a few classes at JoAnn's craft stores which were very basic and helpful.  They will let you use a store-provided machine or bring your own, so that is a good way to get experience.

One interesting thing my teacher shared was that the new machines are plastic, and while relatively cheap can't really be repaired (fancy, though! All kinds of stitches).  I was using one from the 80's courtesy of my mother-in-law, and she remarked that mine would last forever and was worth being repaired. Repairs can be expensive, but picking up a used machine from the 70's-80's might be the way to go if you are looking for long-term use.  I'd definitely recommend taking a class somewhere- my teacher also knew who the good repairmen were and which machines in the store were better.

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 10:21:45 AM »
I used to see tonnes by hand but broken fingers make that difficult.
Looking into buying a new machine soon so I'm stalking here :)
-passes out iced cookies-
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »
I don't use a sewing machine but it looks like you got some good advice!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 11:50:18 AM »
I don't do much sewing nowadays but I'd love to get back into it.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Sonata

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • Shop
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2013, 02:42:43 PM »
I am in the same situation as you - I want to start sewing in a machine but I am yet to buy one xD I think I'll buy this one, though: Singer 1507 Sewing Machine. It seems to be quite reliable and does a lot of different stitch types, so it's quite versatile. I'd say to try buy something that is not just the cheapest and simplest nor the most professional thing. Just try something in-between, more towards the beginner/medium type.

Offline FoolBornUnicorn

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2013, 02:56:46 PM »
My first sewing machine was and is a Brother. I still have and use it. :biggrin: I've never had good luck with a Singer...
I have a Brother LS2300PRW, And I have to say its really awesome. I sew all the time, and this little dude hasn't slown down yet. And I'm clumsy. :blush: Trust me, I've dropped this thing multiple times, and it still works. He's super durable. And it's only about $60.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 03:01:24 PM by FoolBornUnicorn »

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2013, 03:00:24 PM »
My mom gave me an ancient hand-me-down at one point, and when it stopped working I did A LOT of research.  For the price, and what I needed, a Singer Talent was my answer.  It's super easy to use.
My mom (who, to be fair is a rather experienced sewer) borrowed my machine and told me everything was so straight forward she didn't even ever get the manual out (for threading the machine or anything).  She also said it seemed to be a good beginner machine with a lot of potential for growth.  In other words, though it's simple to use, it's not so simple that you'll grow out of it right away.

Case in point:  I love, love LOVE my Singer Talent!

Offline Tilas

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Shilo.ca
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2013, 04:32:30 PM »
I say if you're gonna buy a sewing machine, buy PFAFF. My dad is an upholster by trade going on 30+ years now, and his original Pfaff is still going strong. It's an industrial one sure, but Pfaff are superior quality to most machines on the market. This spring I bought a Pfaff Select 150 http://www.pfaff.com/ca/en/31803.html  and I couldn't be happier. Very powerful machine, yet super easy to use without all the fancy buttons. Unlike Singers, there is a lot of metal in this machine, it's quite heavy duty.  I simply adore it, it works smoothly and is VERY easy to learn.

Since your Canadian, I would call up the Pfaff Sewing Centre of Vancouver, its where I bought mine (and my dad got his so many years ago!) and talk to them about your needs.  I bought my machine from there, the shipping was great, and they treated me awesome. I also order thread direct from them now, to ensure I have what is best for the machine.

Pfaff Sewing Centre Of Vancouver Ltd
604-734-7007

Price wise, I paid about $600 for mine. I think that included shipping but I can't remember. Sure, you can get a cheap $100 sewing machine, but you get what you pay for. You'll wind up replacing it quick enough and being unhappy with it.  You pay for quality. A good Pfaff will last you all your life! Sorry if I sound like a salesperson, I've just seen how well Pfaff machines work and how much I love mine. Remember, the cheaper the machine the less it can do and the thinner material it can use. If you plan to make clothes you want something that can handle thin AND thick material.

Another great thing about Pfaff is IDT, which is a special attachment that helps guide your material and keep it from sliding. It makes sewing SOOOOO much easier!

Offline Sugar

• Norwegian Fnord Pony
  • Trade Count: (+81)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Sock/earring fiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2013, 03:38:16 PM »
Great advice, everypony!  Thank you! :hug:

* Sugar snags an iced cookie from Rainbowjuice's reply

I'm still shopping around, but I feel much better, armed with your suggestions.  I'll let you know what transpires!

Thanks to Sourdough stomper for my Advent signature, and to Nence for my avatar! :lovey:
Wishlist - I'm back on (semi-) active buying again... can't buy everything on my wish list all at once (yay, back-to-school and tuition fees), but I am still looking to plump up my collection a bit more: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,380638.0.html
Sales/trades - http://mlparena.com/index.php?topic=381378.msg1572410#msg1572410

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal