collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Way overpriced ponies on ebay?  (Read 1032 times)

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
Way overpriced ponies on ebay?
« on: July 03, 2013, 05:05:25 AM »
So I was doing my weekly ebay surfing for ponies :P and when I was doing my search for baby Posey I found a lovely mint *incredibly* pink haired Posey as well. She is GORGEOUS! But then I saw the asking price and I literally almost...  :ack: Her asking price was way more than I ever seen for a Posey - ever! She looked like the regular release NSS Posey and I couldn't find anything in the auction text that she was a nirvana either (they even included her hoof markings and it sounds to me like she really is the standard US NSS release Posey... just with super pretty pink hair).

Looking at the other auctions it seems like it is just not Posey that is a "tad" overpriced, but almost all their ponies that I am familiar with is very overpriced.... And I'm thinking that the others are as well. It seems like the person selling is a family member of the person actually owning the ponies and my first thought was to perhaps let them now that they might have difficulty selling their ponies to these prices... But then I thought that might be rude? So my question is - should I let them know? Or just move on and forget about it? I wouldn't even think about if the prices weren't so much higher than what is thought of as their going prices. It's not like it's only 10$ or even 20$ more than "normal" prices in most cases. It is more close to 50$-100$ more in many of the auctions :blink: In some of them even more than that as well...

What would you have done in situations like these?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 05:07:06 AM by katrine2309 »
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Rosette

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Pony Mail is Happy Mail :D
    • View Profile
    • My LiveJournal Blog
Re: Way overpriced ponies on ebay?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 05:09:22 AM »
The beauty of eBay is that you don't need to do a thing about overpriced items.  The ponies will either not sell, ever, or someone somewhere might be willing to pay it.  Either way, they'll discover if they priced too high or not.  :)
I'm the Pony formerly known as "songtoisis".   ^.^

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2013, 05:22:27 AM »
Recently I've learned with rare/sought after ponies that prices often change for a pony. It depends how much it is wanted at the time. Look at Mimic she can anywhere from between £40 and £150 in the UK.

Though someone recently mentioned that they've noticed a lot of people who don't know much about ponies putting high prices on them thinking they must be worth loads because they're old.

Leave it till the auction ends and see if they relist at a cheaper price.
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

Offline Unicorn_pops

• Trade Count: (+359)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Baby and Winger Collector
    • View Profile
    • Pony Collection
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 05:25:41 AM »
Yeah just move on, they'll discover it once the ponies don't sell :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sale Post  My Collection  My Customs

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:28:25 AM »
The beauty of eBay is that you don't need to do a thing about overpriced items.  The ponies will either not sell, ever, or someone somewhere might be willing to pay it.  Either way, they'll discover if they priced too high or not.  :)

Yes, this is what I usually do - I just feel bad for them, because from their auction it just seems like they would really need to sell the stuff... and some of these ponies have been up for a long time...

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline mlpkatie

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:57:08 AM »
baby Posey what?! :P

Like others have said, they will eventually lower the price if it doesn't sell, or just keep relisting it.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:14 AM »
I guess I know which seller you are talking about, and yes, if memory serves there's a story to it and they don't really want to part with the ponies. Someone else will know it better than me though.

Offline spottedslug

• Trade Count: (+106)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »
Well, I sure wouldn't buy them, haha! I also wouldn't contact the seller... because, if I priced ponies at $100 more than their worth, I'd think there's be some question about my mental state, wouldn't you? More than people normally question my mental state... :slug:

Fransponies

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2013, 07:03:52 AM »
I know which one you are talking about. I didn't think she was that high for some of those nice ponies. If I had the money, there were a few of that sellers I would buy. Not the Posey though, that was a bit high, even if it is in mint condition. But I have seem some basic ponies in mint condition hit high prices at times, so you never know if someone might buy it.

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 07:59:32 AM »
Yeah I noticed the high prices on ebay too. Crazy.

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:27:19 AM »
It's just flat out greed. I mean posy? You can get them everywhere on the internet. $5 for an ok condition one and $15 for a mint no imperfections one. But anything higher than $20 I think is nuts for posy.

Everything is over priced, and Its getting worse as the economy falls. I understand E-bay fees and trying to make at least more than what it was worth to list on ebay and pay the fees. Even thought fees aren't too much but the fact that they slam it at you at the middle of the month after you draw money out of your account. Sorry Rant.

So I understand where they are coming from in the sense of needing more pocket cash.

But I don't think its ok to over price. And its not difacult to look up a pony price..seeing that there are many price guides for ponies.

Maybe this is not what their case with in the high price, but I am just seeing an overpriced pattern with a lot of sellers. and I amuse this conclusion..

:work:

:accomplished:

Offline applejackbunny

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 08:30:56 AM »
I know who you mean. She's (or was) also selling a very nice but still very bog standard AJ for *silly* money too, claiming that she's really rare and htf...I find it quite annoying as she has relisted them all over and over again and never seems to get the hint.

She was also trying to sell a perfectly normal Hopscotch for £50 a while back. It annoys me because I think there might be some unsuspecting person out there who doesn't really know what they're buying and reads the words "rare" and "very htf" and think they're getting something really unusual for their money. I know I shouldn't be annoyed about it, but I think it's very cheeky... just my opinion.

Post Merge: July 03, 2013, 08:45:24 AM

Just had another look at her listings. My mistake it's Italy AJ and it's a very nice one with factory curl etc., but I got my Italy AJ with factory curl for under £20! Hers is listed at over £150. As Namine said, I'm afraid it's greed and it's not nice. It would be marginally better if she'd had the courage to list the ponies herself instead of hiding behind her boyfriend - that just makes it so much worse, along with the "sob story".

Normally, I'm a sucker for a sob story and am the first to understand people not wanting to part with their collections, but if she's a collector, she should know the real value of her ponies and not try to rip people off. Sorry I'm ranting, but this particular seller has been bugging me for some time and I'm glad someone brought it up as a topic so I can let off some steam, lol!   :enraged:
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:45:24 AM by applejackbunny »
Current wish list: G1: Baby Princess Sparkle (dark purple var.), Dazzleglow (blue heart var.), Cha Cha the Llama; G3: Baby Northern Lights and Winter Ice, Pumpkin Tart Nirvanas: Any interesting Applejacks (esp. Colombian)!, Argie Tomatoberry, Sweet Tooth [/color]

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »
Eh I ignore it. Sellers have the right to price how they see fit, and I have the right not to buy from them. There will always be more ponies better priced.

Edit: also if someone buys one and over pays I don't really feel sorry for them. It easy to price check before buying something.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline katrine2309

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
baby Posey what?! :P

Hehe, you caught that, huh? Yeah, she is the last pony I "miss" for my childhood collection, but I just don't seem to find anyone when I have the $$ to spare :rolleyes:

Umm, yeah - so I guess I'm not the only one noticing, huh? Ok, I guess I'll not message them. Although I fell for the sob story though, and would have been willing to pay a little extra for the ponies - just for that, but absolutely not for the prices that are set for the ponies now. I mean, I can get all my grails for the price of some of those ponies! >_<

Ianthe99

« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 01:11:58 PM »
Yeah.. it's irritating at times.. but pretty much the best thing to do is ignore it. I've seen some ponies for some pretty insane prices! (which I will refrain from mentioning just in case sellers lurk!) I've priced toys on the high end myself before on Ebay. Usually if I'm doing it though, it's because I have seen one sell for that much in completed listings, and it's more of a hopeful thing... (doesn't hurt to ask?)

Could be a matter of..

Wishful thinking

REALLY needing money (and wishful thinking)

Just not knowing and thinking old means valuable

Asking high prices is not  always greed. I mean, I have the same reaction myself sometimes when I see things priced high..(it was much worse when I was a newbie collector.. OH the OUTRAGE!) But, you've got to think of it like this. It's not something you absolutely NEED.. it's a want.  It'll probably come along for cheaper if you wait... and if it doesn't.. it's just a thing.

I totally have to keep repeating the last bits to myself too.. :P Best thing to do is just shake your head and have a laugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal