collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What religion are you?  (Read 7691 times)

lupachiotta

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What religion are you?
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2013, 10:19:20 AM »
I was raised lapsed Roman Catholic.  Had a brief stint where I returned to the church as an adult. It didn't quite fit.

So now I just consider myself an agnostic although my views on religion are a bit more complicated than that. But I've been bullied for my beliefs and it's just a sensitive topic for me.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2013, 02:09:04 PM »
Lutheran.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
I'm...not really sure, actually. My mother would call herself Christian as that's what her parents were, but I was raised in a household with no religeous tendencies at all.

However, I do believe in Karma and have had visions of a past life. I also believe in the energies of life and spirit through nature, though I've never had any interest or connection with deity. I'd call myself more spiritual than religeous.

My husband was raised Protestant at the will of his parents and grandmother, and was made to attend church for years even after he and his siblings stopped believing.

^^ Lol this is my situation.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2013, 04:16:00 PM »
Can I ask a question? I sincerely hope I won't start any sort of argument (if i do i'll delete this post!) but could people tell me how animals figure into their religions? (this is a genuine question asked out of interest). Do animals have a soul, do they go to heaven, do they have past lives etc.

I always found it sort of weird that I've never heard anything about that from anyone around me and yet, they are such important parts of our lives.

also,. this should in no way evolve into animal rights debate or anything like that, I am just sincerely interested to hear. if mods don't like me asking this, be free to just delete it :)
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Phosfate

« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2013, 04:38:20 PM »
Can I ask a question? I sincerely hope I won't start any sort of argument (if i do i'll delete this post!) but could people tell me how animals figure into their religions? (this is a genuine question asked out of interest). Do animals have a soul, do they go to heaven, do they have past lives etc.

:lol: I can't say, but I know this sort of question is a great way to annoy a Sunday school teacher. Along with other Simpsonian classics such as, "Are there cavemen in Heaven?"

Offline StarDapple

• Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2013, 05:23:05 PM »

I always found it sort of weird that I've never heard anything about that from anyone around me and yet, they are such important parts of our lives.

also,. this should in no way evolve into animal rights debate or anything like that, I am just sincerely interested to hear. if mods don't like me asking this, be free to just delete it :)

I absolutely believe that animals have souls and, of course, all dogs go to heaven (other animals too!).   :P

I also believe in re-incarnation, so I suppose that animals must have past lives as well as they move up the Karmic ladder.  I believe in spirit animals as well.

My beliefs in a nutshell, now that I've thought about it a bit, are perfectly conveyed in the song from Pocahontas "Colours of the Wind."  Cliche, I know, but that song just speaks to me.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkV-of_eN2w

Offline TraderTif

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+85)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 13, 2013, 05:31:22 PM »
Yay, Kentucky people!  That's where I'm from originally  :biggrin:  But it seems like where I lived was turning into nothing but churches and banks.
(For which I am very grateful!!)    :biggrin:   :P
Hehe!

I'm originally from Vermont, and moved here specifically to marry my husband last year.  (Talk about a move from a liberal area to a conservative one, lol).  It's been a very interesting experience!!!

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2013, 05:37:25 PM »
Most of my Wiccan belief's are actually based on my Native American heritage. One of those central points, is that yes animals have souls. Every living thing has an essence, a soul/spirit/presence.

It was something that got me in a whole mess of trouble in elementary school.

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 13, 2013, 06:01:42 PM »
I do believe that animals have souls. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 13, 2013, 07:09:29 PM »
I'm Episcopal and largely attended church because I go to a very liberal church (priest is pro-evolution, pro-women's rights, pro-gay rights, and actually goes out of his way to help the less fortunate).   I wouldn't go otherwise, just stay at home and do my own thing

Also, I'm a scientist (Geology) so they aren't mutually exclusive.  I go to church and believe the Earth is ~4.5 billion years old and that evolution is real ;)

Also, I believe animals have souls and go to Heaven.

I also don't believe in Hell, which may or may not contradict my other beliefs LOL

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 13, 2013, 07:25:34 PM »
I believe animals have souls.
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 13, 2013, 07:41:51 PM »
I believe in me who believes in you!

Loved that! My friend and I use that quote all the time XD

As a child, my mom took me to Methodist churches and both my sister and I were baptized when we were little. When we moved in with our dad, we went to a Catholic church because that's what my stepmom and stepsister were so we had to go. The people I live with now are all Catholic and it has made me realize that I am anti-religion. However, I find many of the stories in the Bible to be very interesting and I like learning about religions because everyone does things differently.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 13, 2013, 08:11:54 PM »
My own worldview suggests that while some animals probably have their own version of souls, (a bit of self-awareness, personality, etc), those souls are not eternal. Their souls cease to exist when their bodies do. This worldview suggests that Christ died to save humanity, not animals, and likewise, God created heaven for people not for animals.

I will further state that I do believe there will be animals in heaven, but I would imagine they are not resurrected animals come back to life.

So, in my mind at least, that says to treat animals with as much respect as possible as they only have one shot at existence. (Mosquitoes notwithstanding, lol :P )
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 13, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
I hope I don't drag it too much off topic here, but for people who believe in Heaven, what do you think it is like?  Some descriptions are just bizarre (24-7 singing?!), but it by definition must be different than here (I mean, I can't imagine there's too much in the way of war, crime, etc.)

Just curious of what other people think- something I've always wondered about! :)

Offline TexasGal

• Cupcake Pony
  • Trade Count: (+158)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Pickle barrel kumquat cherrychanga!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 13, 2013, 08:35:13 PM »
I was raised Southern Baptist (fairly strict), but went to an Independant Baptist church, and still am a member there.  Was secretary to the associate pastor, but my health became harder to deal with, and I had to drop out of working there.  I love it up there, and I feel like it's a second home...everyone is so kind and sweet.  My major issue lately has been feeling too exhausted to go, or having a flare up day (from the fibro) or migraines, or something keeping me from going.  I also don't handle huge crowds really well, or being confined in a small room.  I haven't been to a service in a long time, but was attending Sunday School pretty regularly.  I need to go back, but I'm so worn out.

That all being said, me not going to church does not make me a bad Christian.  I still know what I believe, and I still uphold my ideals with everyone.  To me, it's not a religion, it's a relationship.  I wouldn't push my beliefs on anyone, and I wouldn't want them to push theirs on me.  I respect everyone, though I might not always have tons to talk about when it comes to beliefs and religion.  I'm usually pretty quiet on such things.  I get shy if I have to pray in front of people, and I don't speak up much (maybe I'm just shy period?). 

All in all though, love my church, my beliefs make sense to me, and I accept I don't know everything, and just try to live life as kindly and as well as I can.  I think that is what matters most...being kind to those around you, showing love and peace, being friends, helping pitch in when help is needed...etc. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal