collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What religion are you?  (Read 7544 times)

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
What religion are you?
« on: July 02, 2013, 11:58:17 AM »
I'm an atheist, but religion is a topic of interest to me, since it's formed so much of society and how people are.

So I ask you so I know more about you, pony forum, what do you follow, if you follow!

Anglican (that's how I was raised! Even though my mom was Pentecostal and my dad was an atheist)? Orthodox Jewish? Hindu? Fundamentalist Christian? A flavour of Pagan? Taoist? Agnostic (what background?)? Deist? Something else because this list is going too long?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Re: What religion are you?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 12:04:50 PM »
Wow, pretty ballsy topic there. ;)

I'm also an atheist. Most of my extended family is Catholic, but my parents and I didn't really go to church much growing up. And when we did, it was pretty much just to please the elders.

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 12:06:26 PM »
Wow, pretty ballsy topic there. ;)

Really? Oh dear. I mean, it's just a polling, not asking people which one's right.

Catholicism is interesting! I really like the whole Saint system.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:10:28 PM »
I don't see any reason for a fight; if someone doesn't like others' opinions, they needn't confront them on them. ^^ Not everyone will like the same thing.

I'm a Christian; not of any particular denomination. ;)
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 12:11:48 PM »
This is a preemptive reminder to all members to discuss this topic with sensitivity, respect, and maturity.  Thanks in advance, OT!

I am a secular humanist, but I was raised Jewish.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:17:16 PM by Eviecorn »

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Cumberbatch2012

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 12:12:34 PM »
I used to be Lutheran, but not very seriously.  We never went to church as I was growing up or anything.  I'd only pray every night before bed for everybody's safety and health.  I was really put off by crazed religious fanatics and didn't want to become one.  But then a few years ago my brother sent me The Zeitgeist Movie and it really got me thinking.  Ever since then I just can't bring myself to believe any longer that there is a giant invisible man in the sky who knows the thoughts, feelings and actions of every single one of us at every single second, waiting to punish us if we're not perfect.  It just doesn't make sense and isn't realistic.  So I still believe in good morals and being a good person, but I no longer worship some invisible giant staring at us from the sky. 

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 12:13:12 PM »
I think we can be pretty civil around here, it's just a very touchy subject in any circumstance. You never know what could happen.

Interesting poll, though! I'm kind of curious as to what the results will be! ^-^

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 12:14:14 PM »
I'm Catholic :) Not really a strict one (I couldn't tell you anything I learned in catechism) and I attend church maybe once or twice a year. But, I still consider my faith an important part of who I am. I do feel that if I found the right church I would have no problem attending more often (the Presbyterian church my Gramma attends is very sweet and has a nice, welcoming feeling to it). I suppose since I don't really follow the Catholic customs and rituals to a T one might just consider me a Christian, but even so, I was baptized and taught in a Catholic church so that's the choice for me.

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:23 PM »
I'm a devoted follower of Christ, member of the Church of the Nazarene. That should make me way scarier than a zombie, hm? :smug: "Soooooouuuuuuuuls. Me want soooooulllls." *nom*
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 12:15:28 PM »
I was raised Lutheran, but now am a sort of eclectic pagan. I believe in a loose group of well-meaning gods and goddesses who try hard but can't always get it right or help everyone. Also mead. Being pagan means I believe very strongly in mead.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:16:03 PM »
This is a preemptive reminder to all members to discuss this topic with sensitivity, respect, and maturity.  Thanks in advance, OT!

Starting to get a mite worried. Does this usually cause a fight? I'm sorry if it does, I honestly thought it was a safe topic the way I phrased it.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 12:17:10 PM »
uuuuuummmmm devil worshiper !!!! he he he he  :devious: not realy ! i dont hve one realy so maybe atheist ? xaflamex

Offline InkyMilk

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:11 PM »
I used to be Lutheran, but not very seriously.  We never went to church as I was growing up or anything.  I'd only pray every night before bed for everybody's safety and health.  I was really put off by crazed religious fanatics and didn't want to become one.  But then a few years ago my brother sent me The Zeitgeist Movie and it really got me thinking.  Ever since then I just can't bring myself to believe any longer that there is a giant invisible man in the sky who knows the thoughts, feelings and actions of every single one of us at every single second, waiting to punish us if we're not perfect.  It just doesn't make sense and isn't realistic.  So I still believe in good morals and being a good person, but I no longer worship some invisible giant staring at us from the sky.

I do think it may be tones such as this that can cause prickly feelings? There is nothing wrong with choosing not to believe in a higher power, but by using such a tone with implies that those who do are believing in hogwash as well as spreading silly ideas (giant invisible man in the sky? Really?) is extremely grating.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:15 PM »
Oh no, Rosen!  I just felt better reminding folks to do so.  If everyone can just self-identify and talk peacefully we're all good here.  We're all good.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Rosencrantz

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2013, 12:18:18 PM »
I was raised Lutheran, but now am a sort of eclectic pagan. I believe in a loose group of well-meaning gods and goddesses who try hard but can't always get it right or help everyone. Also mead. Being pagan means I believe very strongly in mead.

Mead has the best aftertaste I have ever had with an alcohol. Good choice. I rather like what you got going on too.

Post Merge: July 02, 2013, 12:20:50 PM

I do think it may be tones such as this that can cause prickly feelings? There is nothing wrong with choosing not to believe in a higher power, but by using such a tone with implies that those who do are believing in hogwash as well as spreading silly ideas (giant invisible man in the sky? Really?) is extremely grating.

Yes, please don't talk like this! Religion is important to people, it's an essential part of their identity. I'd prefer no one mocked what anyone believes.

And you know, to the side, there's more religions than the Abrahamic religions, so there's a bit of ignoring the rest of the world going on there when people talk about disbelief.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 12:20:50 PM by Rosencrantz »
 (backcard by Ivy!)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal