collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What religion are you?  (Read 7699 times)

Offline Heartcease

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What religion are you?
« Reply #75 on: July 03, 2013, 04:57:50 AM »
Christian, and I attended a United Missionary Baptist church back home (Southern Baptist church.)  My husband was raised Catholic, sort of.  We don't attend a church currently.  I just want everyone to be treated with kindness and respect, regardless of their faith, or choosing not to follow a faith, or being purple, or whatever!  Usually I don't discuss religion, politics, or belief in Santa Claus ;)
We are not always what we seem, and hardly ever what we dream. - Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn

Offline fiwen30

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2013, 05:25:54 AM »
I'm...not really sure, actually. My mother would call herself Christian as that's what her parents were, but I was raised in a household with no religeous tendencies at all.

However, I do believe in Karma and have had visions of a past life. I also believe in the energies of life and spirit through nature, though I've never had any interest or connection with deity. I'd call myself more spiritual than religeous.

My husband was raised Protestant at the will of his parents and grandmother, and was made to attend church for years even after he and his siblings stopped believing.
Check out and Favourite my Esy shop! @ https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/TheBrightRedBee?ref=si_shop

Actively buying ALL My Beautiful Horses models, riders, tack, playsets, magazines etc.! PM me!

Offline BrittzMylilPony

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 03, 2013, 07:45:04 AM »
Presbyterian :) PCUSA to be exact!

Except that's not really a religion but a denomination.

So I am a Protestant!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #78 on: July 03, 2013, 09:45:37 AM »
I was raised Christian, in the protestant church (svenska kyrkan), and the whole family converted to Catholicism (after spending some time with the Orthodox church, too) when I was around 6 or 7.

I, however... I don't agree with a lot the Catholic church stands for. I do not like to be in constant guilt over things. I haven't officially left the church, but I can't really call myself a member of it. And I can not, and will not, ever, forgive my ex for things he did to me... which my priest told me to do.

There's got to be something though but I don't know just HOW I believe yet.

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline StarDapple

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Bah Weep Graaagnah Wheep Ni Ni Bong!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 03, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »
I am kind of in-between religions at the moment.  I was raised Catholic until I was around 12, at which time I was told by my parents that I was free to choose whatever I wanted at that point.  I think that was pretty cool of them to be that open and supportive!

I haven't really found the perfect match for me yet religion wise.  As a Cherokee descendant, I am very interested in the traditional Cherokee beliefs, but I feel I don't have much information to make a decision as to whether it is something I wish to pursue.  I hope to visit the Talaquah reservation where my great-grandmother was born within the next few months and will hopefully learn more about my ancestor's culture.

Other religions I am interested in are Buddhism and Shinto.  I am planning on getting some books on Buddhism, and I am starting to watch some speeches from the Dalai Lama, and I find the belief system fascinating.  I took a Living Religions course in college last semester, and it further piqued my interest in Buddhism.  I am having trouble finding out more information on Shinto, but it is something I hope I can learn more about.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 03, 2013, 02:35:35 PM »
I'm Christian, but I don't really identify with any denomination.  I was raised in the Lutheran church but jumped between that, the Catholic church (Dad's family) and the Southern Baptist church (mom's family).  I went to a private non-denominational Christian school for middle and part of high school and had religion shoved down my throat.  After transferring back to public school, I lost sight of my religious views and, for a while, went around saying I was agnostic (typical rebellious teenager, go!).  Wasn't until about 5 years ago that I adopted my Christian views again.

I love reading up on other religions and beliefs like Shinto, Wicca, and  ancient Egyptian stuff.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline stopxmotion

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Support independent film!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 04, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »
Cool topic.
I was raised Catholic, even attended a private Catholic school until high school. I actually really enjoyed the school, but hated the fact that I was basically in a constant state of confusion. It was just like, here's how things are and that's that, and it never made any sense to me. I began to really despise it and as I got older I started researching other religions. We attended church on Sundays and holy days, and then when I had to go to confirmation classes "religion" started getting in the way of other things I would have rather done instead. The final straw was when I had the courage to speak up and ask some serious questions during classes. None of my questions were able to be answered.
I don't like a lot of concepts, such as the existence of hell and sin.

I turned to Wicca when I was about 16 because there WAS an answer for everything I questioned, and it felt very natural and comfortable to me. This is what I still follow, but not so actively.

As I got older I decided to allow the religion I grew up with back into my life as well. Even though I don't agree with it, my family still does (although not devout followers) and I like to be able to celebrate some special days with them.
Two more little devils jumped over the wall.
Saying turn her out father, she'll murder us all.
To my fal-de-ral little law-day.

Offline mul-ta

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Actually a Furbob
    • View Profile
    • garden
« Reply #82 on: July 04, 2013, 01:35:16 AM »
I love this thread. 6 pages already and still no flame war in sight.

I might as well answer with a question mark. :what: I was raised casually Lutheran in a time and milieu where everyone was, even if more out of convention than of conviction, but never was a Christian at heart. At a very early age, I learnt that people all over the world express their spirituality in different ways and couldn't understand why ours should be the best. I didn't want to get confirmed and left the church when I grew up, as I felt it was wrong to be a member just by tradition. Not to say that I'm opposed to spirituality. I feel close to Dianic Wicca but cannot possibly swallow all that feminist theory without chewing. I guess I'll eventually have to find my own way through.

Offline starrypawz

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Nothing is True, Everything is Permitted
    • View Profile
    • http://starrypawz.deviantart.com
« Reply #83 on: July 04, 2013, 02:13:18 AM »
I was raised in a Christian household, I don't think we really had a denomination just general Protestant I think, but the church we went to for quite a while was sort I think was bordering on Evangelical but I personally identify as Agnostic.

I've identified as such since I was about 13/14, I went to a religious school from the age of 11 and I started sort of seeing some holes within what I was being taught and it sort of went from there but I don't think I honestly ever really believed.

I wasn't christened/baptised as a baby I was dedicated which basically meant I wasn't tied to the church.

And the church we were at did have a lot of 'people talking the talk but not really walking the walk' and just a lot of bad blood within the church.  And my family hasn't gone regularly to church since this incident because they haven't been able to find a 'good' church to go to.

My dad is more relgious than my mum, his parents were missionaries out in India and my parents went to the Moody bible college not long after they got married but then they came back to the UK.

In my case it's more an issue with how the church runs compared with how they probably should run.  I also think there's possibly a higher power but we don't know what it is and I don't think there's really 'one true faith' 

And I think with the Bible at least a lot of it did happen since it's essentially a Historical text I just think certain stuff was probably enhanced due to it being passed down through generations and being rewritten.

I find religions interesting to read into and what people believe and why. And I like finding the sort of connections like just about every culture has a flood type story.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 02:29:52 AM by starrypawz »

If you ever see a NARU starrypawz on Ebay it is in no way connected with me! Ebay handle is stella_lupus

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 04, 2013, 03:02:42 AM »
I'm atheist, although the vocal atheist community tends to irritate me. :P So I don't always like admitting it.

I wasn't raised as much of anything. Went to church once or twice, but it was mostly for my mother.

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 04, 2013, 03:45:27 AM »
Christian. Assembly Of God Pentecostal.

Same here! *high fives Kat*
My Wish List

Offline Sandi

• Trade Count: (+65)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 04, 2013, 04:14:28 AM »
I'm an atheist. I celebrate christmas, easter and birthdays though, because it's tradition. My mom is christian, she believes in god, but she never goes to church or anything like that. My dad is an atheist too.
G1, G2 and G3 collector. I also collect a bunch of other stuff. (Too much..)
My collection website
My toy Instagram
My cat/nature Instagram
My Tumblr

Offline kellyponyfeathers

• Trade Count: (+179)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • MLP: Gotta catch 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 04, 2013, 04:24:40 AM »
"I have learned never to discuss politics, religion, or the Great Pumpkin."

--Linus from "Peanuts"
Nirvana grails:  Reverse Gusty (upgrade), Peru Windy and Moonstone (upgrade), Brazil TAF upgrades, Argie Powder w/ white hair (upgrade), French Windy and Moondancer (upgrades), Spain TAF's, TE's, and piggies.  These are my biggest wants, but I'm looking for tons more nirvanas, especially Greeks, Brazilians, and Peruvians.  Feel free to PM me for sales or trades.  But please note that I'm also fairly picky.

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 04, 2013, 05:35:28 AM »
i do believe (absolutely and completely) in:

Unicorns
Timelords
Ghosts
Loch Ness Monster
Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Vampires and Werewolves
Fairies
Portals to other dimensions
Aliens

x
Totally agree
Buffy is religion :)

On a more serious note I consider myself a wiccan(very new still learning) My parents didn't raise my with a strict religious hand I got to figure it out for myself. I did attend a church of England school and for a little while I attend Sunday school (salvation army) but neither of these felt right for me:)
Im still on a learning path and all religion interests me,I wish there was a very big book listing all religions with a small explanation so that I can learn a little of each:)

Offline ravengusty

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 04, 2013, 06:38:24 AM »
I was christened roman catholic when i was a baby, raised with my dad who's protestant, i've practiced Buddhism and Wicca at stages in my teens and early twenties but nothing ever hit the mark.

Now at the age of 29 i'm not interested as i said earlier but to clarify a bit, i never use the term atheist because to me its constricting myself to a mindset.

Let's say I don't particularly believe in anything but I don't believe in nothing either
my new fan page https://www.facebook.com/princessofpowerukfan
:socks:
Just so you know...I open boxes! My cash, my pony, my choice  :biggrin:
Respect to Box lovers you have stronger will than I do...peace  :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal