collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How much does rehairing affect value?  (Read 2385 times)

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
How much does rehairing affect value?
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:09 PM »
I'm thinking of giving Cage Fighter Argie Bluebelle a rehair in the same shade (DH Wisteria?) to give her a nicer mane as well as sunfading her marks.

If I decide to sell her (marking her as a rehair) how much would that affect value? Does it vary from nirvana to nirvana?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Duster reference]

Offline Sunshine

• Glub Glub Fishy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+312)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Call me Sunny! :)
    • View Profile
    • SQPonies eCrater Store
Re: How much does rehairing affect value?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 09:14:16 PM »
I asked about something like a totally rehaired Argie Rock Pony who's colors were close but not quite exact (she has pretty unique hair colors :huh:) but they said usually... about a 50% value reduction. Could be less if she's rare enough I think, because nice hair is important to some vs. original hair... Perhaps somewhere between about 50-75% of the normal value? :shrug:
Visit my MLP Store for Ponies of all Generations! For Sale or Trade!

My Want List
Formerly Known As: SunshinePony

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:49:38 PM »
It varies from one pony to the next, and from one collector to the next. It's kinda hard to give a value for a rehaired pony. It comes down to whatever interested buyer(s) are willing to pay at the time. :)

Offline LadyGuinevere

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+99)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
    • Princesses with Dragons Accessory Survey
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 12:39:35 AM »
It really does depend. Severity of the initial cut makes n impact, as does the pony in question, but as kkv says, it then also varies from collector to collector. Personally, I prefer my hair original, even if the haircut is severe.

Visit my Princesses with Dragons Accessory Website
Thanks to SDS for my gorgeous avvie!

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 12:11:42 PM »
yes, it does affect the value and it decreases the value of the pony. the amount is decreases by varies from pony to pony :)

I would say most nirvana collectors prefer the original hair, no matter what state it is in. However it is very personal and really depends on the collector; I myself don't mind a rehair ;)

love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline Stormrave

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+54)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 07:54:50 AM »
I expected to pay $40 for my Munchy and got her for $25 because she was rehaired - she's not a nirvana but yeah, that puts her in the 50 - 75 % of normal value range which seems standard to me.

Seems kinda strange to me....she was apparently bald before, and now she has beautiful long hair and looks amazing...I'm very pleased to have a very pretty Munchy, I don't care that her hair isn't 30 years old.  But there are quite a few people who really value having something "completely vintage."

So:  It's your pony.  For me, I'm not going to be selling Munchy, and I like her much better rehaired than near-bald.  But if you're worried about Blue Belle's resale value, then maybe you'd best not.  She's far from bald, and I think a little restyling could make that mane more attractive the way it is.

Sokkis

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 02:38:41 PM »
But if you're worried about Blue Belle's resale value, then maybe you'd best not.  She's far from bald, and I think a little restyling could make that mane more attractive the way it is.
I agree. It's your pony, do whatever feels best. BUT, she looks quite ok, good styling does wonders, IMO her hair doesn't look that bad at all. :)

Offline lunar_scythe

• factory error Blue Belle
  • Gold Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+84)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2013, 06:35:48 PM »
a recent example for you: I bought a rehaired apple belle at the fair yesterday for $100.

I'm really happy with her, but she isn't marked rehair...something I plan on fixing as soon as I get home in case I ever sell her, because she's so good I know I won't remember in a few years!
My Army of Bluebelles (New pic coming sooner or later)

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 12:33:13 AM »
My question is, if the pony is almost bald, or completely bald, how in Earth can its value be reduced because it's rehaired? 

It's not like rehairs are irreversible when there is no hair to begin with. 

I would rather have a pony that's been nicely rehaired, Nirvana or not, than one completely bald and looks atrocious.  Originality is always nice, but one can't always have originality, and when there are only so many examples out there, I would prefer those examples restored versus looking like post-apocalyptic ponies. 

Offline Starfall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Keeping Australia Post afloat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 04:06:07 AM »
I like cage fighter BB just the way she is. She has character.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Tinsel rehairer extraordinaire!

Offline Pythia

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 04:08:03 AM »
My question is, if the pony is almost bald, or completely bald, how in Earth can its value be reduced because it's rehaired? 

I would rather have a pony that's been nicely rehaired, Nirvana or not, than one completely bald and looks atrocious.  Originality is always nice, but one can't always have originality, and when there are only so many examples out there, I would prefer those examples restored versus looking like post-apocalyptic ponies. 

I would say, in those cases, that a pony with a nice rehair of *donor* mlp hair would probably be worth *about* the same as bald. But again, it depends on the pony and who's looking.
Looking for: Alternate Birthflowers, Baity wingers, So softs - both minty and for deflocking - and DREAM BEAUTIES!

Offline BarbedDragon

• Trade Count: (+157)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/BarbedDragon/BarbedDragonCustoms
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 09:22:07 AM »
Would you think the using actual donor hair would affect the value at much as "New" hair?
Commissions are CLOSEDWaiting list available.
*My Customs Page**My Facebook Page**My Re-Rooting Tools/Etsy*

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2013, 09:28:22 AM »

I agree with this since I would never keep a bald pony just for the sale of it being original. I want something pretty. I've noticed lots of rehairs do seem to sell as if they were bald.

On the other hand I did have one Nirvana with just a scruff of hair left, an she was haired in an alternate color. I'm sure even mostly bald I probably could have gotten more for her than I paid. Since I bought her for a bait price though and intended to keep her I just rehaired her.

In the end do whatever you wish with your pony. If you're super worried about value decreases keep it original. I buy them for my own pleasure and rehair them if I wish. :lol:
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline MiRaja

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://lilmissroadrage.livejournal.com
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »

I agree with this since I would never keep a bald pony just for the sale of it being original. I want something pretty. I've noticed lots of rehairs do seem to sell as if they were bald.

On the other hand I did have one Nirvana with just a scruff of hair left, an she was haired in an alternate color. I'm sure even mostly bald I probably could have gotten more for her than I paid. Since I bought her for a bait price though and intended to keep her I just rehaired her.

In the end do whatever you wish with your pony. If you're super worried about value decreases keep it original. I buy them for my own pleasure and rehair them if I wish. :lol:

Oh definitely.  I'm the same way, and would buy up all the poor, bald nirvanas and give them beautiful flowing locks again!  It just seems silly though to price a pony for more in bad, bait condition, then one who has been restored to displayable condition.  I don't understand it, but then again, I am a restorer.  That's what I do.  See, the stuff I work with?  Is worth more restored in almost all cases.  Even high end fashion dolls from the 50's, they're worth a lot more if they've had their hair reset, have been reblushed and have their eyeshadow redone.  Composition dolls, who can be damaged extremely by the elements, are  the biggest restoration needs, and people will spend $100's to have the fixed.  Composition Shirley Temples are probably the biggest business. . . 

Take a $100 doll ( for a Shirley, that is an extremely low price, and would be a battered up doll, likely missing an arm, a leg, or busted digits, compo crazed and cracked ) sand her completely down to the woodpulp, fix all the defects like busted limbs by regluing them, and then replaster her and then repaint her, and she will almost be worth as much as one that was in good condition to begin with, sometimes more, but never worth more than one MIB, obviously, but I'm talking $600 or more, depending on the skill of restoration and the artist.  ;) 

So, when I'm told that restoration actually restoring something lowers the value, I kind of laugh.  As I said, originality is nice, but it isn't everything.  I do have a memory of another restorer ( a much older lady ) who had much too much on her plate for restorations and had given me a box of basket case Japanese dolls to work on, because she feared that if she suddenly passed they would be toss because they looked worthless, and that's kind of how I feel about keeping ponies, for all intensive purposes, in bait condition. 

Offline kitkatvintage

• Trade Count: (+353)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • KitKatVintage - My Little Pony Collection
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
Would you think the using actual donor hair would affect the value at much as "New" hair?
I think donor hair would be worth a bit more because it has a look and feel closer to the original.

@MiRaja -
In general, people have a difficult time selling rehaired Nirvana ponies unless the price is really low. The appeal of Nirvanas is the unique qualities of ponies made in a specific country. Replaced hair is a major factor, thus the less-desirable or lower value. In a different collecting community, restorations may be viewed entirely differently.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal