collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Thrift Stores on Thursday  (Read 598 times)

Offline Ninox

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
Thrift Stores on Thursday
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:25:44 AM »
I stopped by a couple of thrift shops today. I bought a good sized bag with a couple of G3s and some fakies (plus many non-pony items thrown into the mix) at the first store, but when I saw a bag with a few more G3s in it at the second store, I didn't feel tempted to buy it as well.

Then, on the shelf beneath the bag of G3s, I noticed a bag with several large plastic horses in it. Upon closer inspection, I beheld the unmistakeable stare of a Twinkle-Eyed pony peering out at me...and you can probably guess what happened after that.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That bag also contained Baby Cuddles (the Cuddles I had as a kid was the Beddy-Bye Eyes version -- what a difference!) and Lady Flitter (her color seems a bit washed out and there's a crease in one wing, but otherwise she's in good shape). The Twinkle-Eye turned out to be Party Time, and sadly, there are several light patches on her head (regrind?). It isn't noticeable unless you really look, but it's still there. Party Time and Baby Cuddles were also both dressed in Pony Wear, which was a pleasant surprise, since I don't think I ever had any as a kid.

(The three G1s, after being cleaned.)

Party Time also seems to have a mark on her right side that looks like the brim from one of her symbol's party hats. Could this be a factory error?

As for the contents of the first Bag-o-Stuff I bought, 2008 McDonalds Scootaloo and 2008 McDonalds Starsong turned out to be the only "genuine" ponies. I've been trying to ID the other equines in this photo (I don't think all of them qualify as "fakies", per se), and so far, I think I have a "Baby Donkey" (purple, yellow stars), a pony from a Dora the Explorer playset (brown, yellow mane -- looks a bit like T.J.!), and possibly two Cabbage Patch fakies (the large pink ones). I think the blue pegasus might be one of these, but I'm not sure about the skinny white one with the greenish mane. It seems to be part of a Disney Princess playset, but there seem to be dozens of horses that come in similar playsets, and I can't figure out which one this horse is from. Also, the clothes rack from Rain or Shine with Merriweather and Shenanigans is in the background:

Here we have a horse with no pupils and another horse with transparent skin. Apparently someone thought these were good ideas... :/

The bronze horse is also an interesting specimen. It's made of a very rigid plastic that feels almost like metal, and that tail...well, that's one way to root it, I suppose. (I'm actually a little afraid to do anything with that tail -- it seems about as durable as cotton candy!)

Here's the whole lot, along with a few extra non-horse toys. The round thing in the lower left corner is a Littlest Pet Shop Teeniest Tiniest Butterfly Garden, but it's missing all of the figures as well as the lid. I think the tiny plastic knickknacks in front of it might belong to one of the large horses -- I thought the purple things were crowns, but they might actually be fancy horseshoes.

The large horses are all Barbie horses from 1983. The ones at 12:00 and 2:00 are Prancer and Blinking Beauty, respectively. I can't find much info at all about the third one, but not only are its legs and head posable, but it is incredibly detailed -- you can actually see the veins in its face!

I'll probably be selling some of this stuff eventually -- I still haven't made up my mind about what want to keep and what I'm willing to part with yet (and I've definitely got a lot more cleaning to do first!).
Looking for these two little Soma fakies:

(photos by Angervo and littlefox)

My Sales Thread

Offline minamarie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Thrift Stores on Thursday
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 01:18:56 AM »
uhhhh love the dressed up g1s :D   what is that cute crystalline horse..

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:44:00 AM »
Congrats on your new ponies :)

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 04:11:43 AM »
What a great find, grats!

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:04:29 AM »
Ooohh Congrats!  I see She-Ra Horses too, those are so fun!

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Ninox

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
uhhhh love the dressed up g1s :D   what is that cute crystalline horse..
The purple, transparent horse has no identifying markings on it, but nessa16 just confirmed that both it and the pink one are She-Ra horses (thanks! :) ). The transparent horse is Crystal Moon Beam, and the pink one is Swiftwind (she didn't come with her horn and wings, though :( )

My Sales Thread

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2013, 02:20:18 PM »
Your purple horse reminds me of Grape Soda!  :biggrin:
:accomplished:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
Nice Haul!  I always have this feeling like I've won the lottery when I find vintage ponies at the thrift stores.  They used to be more common but now are quite scarce in my area!

I actually like the She-ra horse with transparent skin! LOL -  the Pink one is Swiftwind.  The purple one is ... I don't think it is Crystal Swiftwind but it might be...

EDIT:  Crystal Moonbeam!  The she-ra horses originally came with saddles and wings http://www.darah.com/she-ra/tg-steeds2.asp
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 03:29:56 PM by Galactica »

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
I love your G1s!  Not sure about the odd symbol on Party Time's hip though. Maybe you could ask about it in the PC to see if anyone there has an idea?  :)

Offline Ninox

• Rockin Beat Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2013, 09:20:08 PM »
Good idea -- thanks! (I actually thought of posting this thread in that subforum initially, but figured it would be better suited to the Brag Arena instead.)

My Sales Thread

Offline Foxtale

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Reverse Gusty Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2013, 09:36:59 AM »
Oh man, I love wingers. Those are some great finds :D
~Foxtale~

Offline LunaDehligt

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • the fun has been doubled! :D I SO LOVE MY PERSONA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2013, 09:45:00 AM »
congrats :)

Offline CupcakeLoverXx

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • Pony Lover since 2012!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
You got a winger with wings intact! Woop! Congratulations on your ponies. I can't help with identifying the fakies though :(

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Nice haul. I especially love the She Ra horses and the error Party Time. Party Time is such a lovely, underrated pony.

If you need help with the fakies, I spy what I call a "raised heart fakie" because of the raised hearts on the hooves (definitely a line of CPK fakes, I love these!), a "Walgreens" fakie (So called because they are common at Walgreens, and the molds are passed around making them hard to truly identify), a Disney princess horse (I think from a Cinderella playset), a Barbie mini pegasus fakie (They have been pirated and sold mostly in the UK, but for a while Dollar Tree was selling them too), the brown one looks like a Lanard to me (check for markings), and if the purple donkey is marked on the other side as either "Toysmith" or "Toyi," then it's a Precious Pony. (They are miniatures that have been being sold by both Cracker Barrel and Toys R Us within the past two years or so. I have a full set. That purple one also has a blue, pink, and orange counterpart.)

Offline Ivaness

• Henry the 8th's Missing Wife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • The Most Happy
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2013, 03:47:40 PM »
I love that Crystal Moonbeam! :D

Avatar by: KissTheThunder Signature By: Nence