collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Books to movies!  (Read 749 times)

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Books to movies!
« on: June 06, 2013, 09:34:49 AM »
Does anyone else get super nervous when they make movies of your favorite books?  They're doing this to Antoine de Saint-Exupery‘s The Little Prince and I'm just absolutely terrified that they'll ruin it!  To start, I'm sure he's excellent at directing, but I somehow just feel like the guy who did Kung Foo Panda maybe isn't a good choice as director for this, since it's a totally different feel. 

If they make it CGI, I will cry.  The illustrations are part of what is so iconic for this story!

Add to it that it's a fairly heavy and philosophical book once you get into it and I'm just scared they'll dumb it down and make it a cutesy little story with no meaning.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see, but I am having a hard time having high hopes!

Anyone else worry about this kind of stuff?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
Re: Books to movies!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 09:40:05 AM »
NO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! Leave it alone!

I was worried when hipster king Dave Eggers helped write the screenplay for Where the Wild Things Are.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 10:15:43 AM »
Most books to movies are not good.  There are exceptions but there are so many out there that ruined the movie and didn't do the book justice.  But sometimes they make a good movie but it's not like the book very much other.  I guess in that case it's up to you if you like one or the other or both versions.

I wonder why they are doing The Little Prince movie now.  They've done a cartoon of in the late 80's or early 90's.  I guess we'll have to wait and see how well the movie is done.

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:28 AM »
I'm nervous and excited. I'm excited because if they did it right most books would be awesome movies! And nervous because they hardly ever do it right. Usually, I'm diappointed by the movie.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »
Yes, but ive learnt to deal with it.  I get mad when they cut out alot of the chapters but understand that it would be a 6 hour movie if everything was included.  Thent heres the 'that should have been added...but that shouldnt have!' debate xD

Then the actual actors.  Theres one series in particular that I wont get into where I screamed in protect because the actors killed hte movies.  Completely.  And it was a series that was incredibly popular.

I guess it differes from person to person ^^

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:03:43 AM »
I hate it when they make movies of my favorite books.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline ember86

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • A very picky little pony.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 11:07:41 AM »
Every time "Nancy Drew" get's the big or little screen, it's never good. Even the movies from the 1930's.
  Thank you Scraleos for my sig! Thank you MLPmintchocolatechip for my a avatar  Have a very pony day [you]
My etsy shop

Offline LadySiha

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
  • I'll meet you across the sea...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Unless it's something like Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings, I pretty much ignore books I love that are made into movies.  Currently I'm finding myself in fits of near-rage over the World War Z movie.  I have determined that I may have to put up with the trailers now, which are driving me crazy (Max Brooks didn't write his zombies as runners!) but no one can force me to actually watch the movie.....

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
Yes, I always get anxious. I've been lucky enough to see it goes well with my favorites (LotR, Hobbit and ASoIaF). I'm very curious how World War Z will turn out as it clearly not gonna be right off the book.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Yes and no. I think when they adapt books into movies it can never be the same, some things have to get left out of modified to make sense on the big screen, and I have come to accept this. If you are lucky the film makers will still capture the feel of the book and the characters, but I think in most cases you are left feeling disappointed.

In the case of The Little Prince I am super nervous, excited and mortified at the same time. I am so in love with this book, and I kinda feel like "why?". What is the point of trying to re-interpret something that is already perfect? I feel that this book is such an utter classic that it should be left alone. And yes, if they make it into some silly CGI cartoon I will be furious.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 05:55:26 PM »
I read Eragon, I enjoyed the series waaay too much. Then I watched the movie... Shoulda just left it alone with the books...

I love watching movies, I also love the idea of having a visualization of a book in the form of a movie, it adds depth to your imagination. However, it's always unnerving when a book gets the green light to be made into a movie (especially if the author has no say in the production). It's nearly impossible to compact all the fantastical book details into a movie. (...well unless a studio does it right for a series of books and makes at least 1-2 movies per book...) I will sit through a nice long movie and pay for it if you don't leave the good stuff out moviemakers! So yeah, at least some studios have figured that out over the past few years... Ramble ramble...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2013, 06:36:45 PM »
There's only been one instance of me being sorely disappointed with a book to movie adaptation.  Well, two but Eragon is a given.

I chose to read 'Fahrenheit 451' as part of my summer reading in 11th grade. Great book that still remains at the top of my favourites list to this day.  That same summer, I found out that there had been a movie version made in 1966.  Found it and watched through it and, while they kept a lot of elements the same, they left several things out (like the mechanical hound) and added elements that weren't even in the book (Montag's supposed "romantic" feelings towards Clarisse. Wut?).  Redeeming quality? The beautifully composed score.

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline StoryDreamer

• Go boldly
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Bri
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2013, 06:38:39 PM »
One of the best books to movies...The Last Unicorn. So pretty and captured the magic of the novel. A Little Princess was good too.
Hey, want to review media or contribute an article about books, movies, comics, tv or video games from a woman's perspective? Check out my new media blog in the making, What the Fangirl LGBTQ+ friendly

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
I hate it when they make movies of my favorite books.
Me too.
When you have read and enjoyed a book and then see the movie, you will almost always feel disappointed.
I couldn't stand the Little Prince, so for me the movie can only be better! LOL
But I'm afraid that they are going to ruin 50 Shades because the cast might not be what I had imagined.

Offline katieklassified

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2013, 06:51:54 PM »
I was really saddened by Twilight. They kind of made it a comic series. Not that the books were *great*, but they were pretty good.

Also, Matched by Ally Condie is being made into a movie (EXCITED), but its by DISNEY. Ugh. They're so going to ruin it.

Also, Under the Dome mini-series...am I excited? YES. Is it going to suck because its on CBS? YES. They're so going to leave out great parts...if everyone doesn't burn, I WILL BE SO MAD.

Post Merge: June 06, 2013, 06:52:22 PM

But I'm afraid that they are going to ruin 50 Shades because the cast might not be what I had imagined.

THIS!

HELP ME NAME MY PONYSONA!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal