collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Was My Little Pony Tales canceled or did it just end?  (Read 8485 times)

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Was My Little Pony Tales canceled or did it just end?
« on: May 27, 2013, 04:35:16 PM »
I love My Little Pony Tales, but I notice that not only were there only a few episodes compared to most shows (with the exception of "New Born Cuties" which had only two episodes), but also that it ended just as it seemed to be getting better/finding it's place in the world (there was only one episode I didn't like).

I have heard that MLPT was kind of hit and miss at the time (though I know other people liked it when it was on) as it was such a sudden change from the rest of G1 (hence why so many newcomers to the fandom think it's G2). So many probably weren't expecting it to have such a drastic change, and didn't take to it at the time?

There are things in MLPT that suggested to me that at least a few more episodes were planned, but never finished.  A good example is the episode "Up Up and Away" which featured the Glow and Show Ponies (although the term "Glow and Show" was never mentioned).  The episode really looked like they were going to appear again one day, and would have offered more of an explanation as to who they are, and some dialogue even suggests to me that Patch had met them before that episode.

So did it get canceled or not?
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
Re: Was My Little Pony Tales canceled or did it just end?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 01:59:24 AM »
I think it was cancelled along with the US pony toy line in 1993.
 (more ponies were made after that, but not for the US market)

edit- there are 26 episodes. That's a pretty good amount  :)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 02:01:21 AM by Dludnerad »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 02:00:14 PM »
Thanks.

I guess that's a good number, I just feel that it could have lasted longer, I guess.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »
Yep, it was unfortunately cancelled. Far too early if you ask me!

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »
The G1 line was simply tired I think [although I know all of us would have loved it to go on and on] but MLP are technically a toy of the moment and they had looked exactly the same with no changes for a decade. The time had come for a refresh and that included dropping the shows made simply to sell the toys.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Valerie

• Dabbles Pony
  • ☼ I ❤ G3 ☼
    • View Profile
    • Valerie´s Pony Rainbow
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
I love MLP Tales, I find these episodes more fun and entertaining than season 1 (each G1 episode is very similar to the others, always ponies kidnaped and Megan rescuing them, at least the ones that I have saw), but MLPT shows more the ponies personalities and feelings.  ^.^

@MJNSEIFER now I´m corious, what is the episode that you didn´t like?  :lol:

:sunny:   visitors can't see pics , please register or login
   :sunny:   

Valerie´s Pony Rainbow Tumblr - Instagram - Youtube
:heart:

Offline RAMChYLD

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2013, 08:43:53 AM »
I think the show wasn't really cancelled - it had t least one season out. What I think happened was poor marketing. From what I understand, the show was not properly aired in the US (being screwed by Disney by being put into a death slot), and even the Tales toys wasn't sold in the US from what I understand. That, and that the show came at the time that Hasbro decided to redesign the ponies and give us G2, pretty much sealed the demise of Tales.
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

Offline LightingElectricDream

• Trade Count: (+25)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Collecting Since 2002 -
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 09:08:57 AM »
I rember watching MLP tails, It was on in the morning when my brothers would leave for school. It would show around 8:00 or 12:00 is when it would air in 1994 / 1995
It Disney did screw it over by airing at a time where everyone was in school, I mean MLP tails was made for an audience for ages 3 to 10 years old I would think. So the only people that where watching it where ages 0 to 4 or 5 years old.

Hasbro was pretty much done making MLP Original G1 in 1992 when they released thair 10th anniversary stuff, So they show didn't kill they toy line at all.

"Petite ponies" where more promoting the MLP tails show than any thing.

Then came G2, ivy, Sundance and Light Heart..ect.
They just revamped MLP, The only thing they released a computer game because it was the 90's
They probley has no intentions of making a show of it because of all the other shows and movies that had been made. More money out of thair pocket to make another mlp cartoon.

So the MLp tails was more of a G1.5
Not G2.

Sorry some of that info was off topic to your question..I'm just rambling  :bubble:
:accomplished:

Offline Ivy

• crazy 'lil alicorn
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • MOC Mimic
  • crazy 'lil alicorn
    • View Profile
    • Ponyland Tours
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 09:17:38 AM »
When Tales came out it was just as My Little Pony Line was starting to shut down - The show wasn't marketed well and at that time it was just shown on Disney along with all the older My Little Pony Episodes - Tales to me got rid of all the magic element that Ponies had - no unicorns, pegasus or Sea Ponies - they often walked up on two legs - things that ponies just didn't do....1992-93 when tales was first run just ended up being the end of the My Little Pony Line in the US after you kill the line why continue the show- the UK came out with the toys in '93 and they got another two years on the Pony Line until it fizzled out in '94.

G2's didn't come out until the end of '97 - they did not kill Tales.
Check out my Sales!
Avatar thanks to the lovely minercia!

Offline Malicieuse

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »
I rember watching MLP tails, It was on in the morning when my brothers would leave for school. It would show around 8:00 or 12:00 is when it would air in 1994 / 1995
It Disney did screw it over by airing at a time where everyone was in school, I mean MLP tails was made for an audience for ages 3 to 10 years old I would think. So the only people that where watching it where ages 0 to 4 or 5 years old.

Hasbro was pretty much done making MLP Original G1 in 1992 when they released thair 10th anniversary stuff, So they show didn't kill they toy line at all.

"Petite ponies" where more promoting the MLP tails show than any thing.

Then came G2, ivy, Sundance and Light Heart..ect.
They just revamped MLP, The only thing they released a computer game because it was the 90's
They probley has no intentions of making a show of it because of all the other shows and movies that had been made. More money out of thair pocket to make another mlp cartoon.

So the MLp tails was more of a G1.5
Not G2.

Sorry some of that info was off topic to your question..I'm just rambling  :bubble:

Erm, "MLP Tales" is just G1.

Offline Goldilocks

• Romance Pony
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 10:36:03 AM »
Me and my friends hated the Tales as a child  :blush: We only watched the original MLP from the tv, never the Tales. I think the Tales is for slightly older children than the original MLP series, maybe I was either too young or too childish to like it  :P

I have learned to appreciate the Tales as an adult collector though. I like the characters' different personalities, different hair-dos and the cute fun teenage life.

Up up and away is my favourite episode. The Glow 'n Show Ponies are called Glowing Magical Ponies in it (I think that is the UK name for the set). I love my Glow 'n Shows even more after seeing this episode, they are good spirit ponies :heart:
wanted G1 WEDDING/LOVE pony accessories and merchandise, ARGIE GREEN TRULY, ARGIE PEARLY-PAINTED NOVIA:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299645.0.html
trades:
http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,299649.msg252302.html#msg252302

Offline Dludnerad

• Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
When I first saw the Tales cartoon I thought the ponies looked really naked! Especially Patch and Starlight with their pink and tan skin tones. It was an odd choice to put them into a human style world and keep them without apparel.

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline Clipper

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+122)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Clipper
    • View Profile
    • Clipper's Sail
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2013, 08:01:42 PM »
mlpt was cancelled. and the show was put on disney channel in the USA a year or so after MLP was discontinued in the USA. I believe that the Pony tales toys were supposed to be released in the USA, but then the lined failed at year 10 and they just pushed all production for international market.

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2013, 08:09:58 PM »
I wish more of it were made. I think it's even better than FiM. It's my favorite MLP show as of right now.

But more than anything, I wish it would get an R1 release! I want a good quality dvd of it so bad!
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline RAMChYLD

• Scribbles Pony
  • Geeky pony wrangler.
    • View Profile
    • http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Tropers/RAMChYLD
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2013, 08:19:42 PM »
Erm, "MLP Tales" is just G1.
Well, I think Tales being 1.5 should be correct. No major change to the pony designs themselves, but a full overhaul on the pony's universe.

But more than anything, I wish it would get an R1 release! I want a good quality dvd of it so bad!
Have you considered getting the R4 releases and a region-free DVD player?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 08:22:44 PM by RAMChYLD »
I'm cataloging FIM pony product codes! Check it out! | My Wish list. Updated in real time. | My G4 Army register

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal