collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney dolls discussion!  (Read 83153 times)

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Disney dolls discussion!
« Reply #300 on: September 09, 2013, 09:45:28 AM »
When does the Disney store's 2 for $20 deal end or is it an every day thing?

Varkolak, congrats on your Merida doll and Ariel pillow ^.^ Merida is really pretty.
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: September 09, 2013, 09:49:08 AM »

Varkolak, congrats on your Merida doll and Ariel pillow ^.^ Merida is really pretty.

I think it's an everyday thing. It's been like that for months.
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: September 09, 2013, 10:20:41 AM »

I think it's an everyday thing. It's been like that for months.

Okay, good to know! Thank you very much :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: September 09, 2013, 11:06:05 AM »
I love Tyco Ariels. :) I have a few of them NRFB. The Tyco Ariels are the same size as 90's era Skipper and Ariel could wear the same clothes. 

Bow Tie is Flynn in the box with Rapunzel too? I can't see him in your picture?

Ponyfan

Flynn is in the box, but behind Rapunzel. That is the one thing I don't like about this set. They put Rapunzel directly in front of Flynn so you can't see him unless you look at the box from the side. After I move into my apartment, I'll be taking the case off and moving them around so you can see Flynn better.

Here's a little bit better pic from the front:

Now I can see him. :) I agree with you Disney should have put Flynn where you could see him better.  Rapunzel is beautiful.   

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline toyjunky

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: September 09, 2013, 09:23:41 PM »
Does anyone know when Disney started to market Ariel more as a human than a mermaid? I've seen a lot of things with Ariel in a green dress and less items of her as a mermaid. 

Ponyfan

Yes actually, I can answer that. As someone with an enormous Ariel collection that spans over 20 years, I can say that overall Ariel has typically been marketed as a mermaid with a small amount of merchandise across the years that depicts her in her human form. While over the more recent years there was getting to be a little more of her in human form here and there, the big change happened in 2012. In the late summer/early fall of 2012 the princesses were redesigned with all new looks (some of you may recall the Cinderella redesign change, most noticeably her hair) and at this time is when Ariel started being marketed on merchandise wearing a green dress.

For those of you who may not be aware of it, this change over for the princesses is not limited to merchandise alone. They are blending the character design brand with the park character identity. So slowly over time, each park princess is getting redesigned to match the new branding. It has already occurred with Cinderella, Belle, and Aurora as all three of them have received new looks in the parks. Ariel in the parks has been depicted off and on over the years as both forms. Traditionally as a mermaid, but she has also been represented in human form wearing various green dresses for various parades and also for meet & greet situations.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 10:20:53 PM by toyjunky »

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: September 10, 2013, 06:37:39 AM »
I really dislike the hairstyle redesigns.  I don't mind new dresses, but they each have such signature hairstyles that seeing them with side swept fashionable bangs makes them loose the charm of their original look.  I know many of them have styles based on what was popular when the movie came out, but they are fairy tales and don't really need to be updated.  At least not in ALL the marketing.  A designer doll remake is one thing, or an artists rendition, but I'd rather see them look like themselves in the branding. 

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: September 10, 2013, 06:58:22 AM »
I don't really like the new hairstyles either. I love the new dresses, but leave the hair alone! :cry:
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline KermitGreen82

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
    • JennyLou Creations - My Etsy Shop
« Reply #307 on: September 10, 2013, 07:15:31 AM »
I am joing this post really late but I have quite a few dolls as well. Maybe I can get some pictures this afternoon. They are all boxed up as I have no where to display them. I absolutely love the new Princess & Prince designer dolls but I can't spend that much money on them. Very few of my dolls were purchased at retail so it is hard to think about spending over $100 on 2. :)

I had a few of the TYCO Ariel dolls as well. I had one that was based of the series. She came with a baby whale.  And I had the Prince Eric doll, although I sold him not too long ago knowing someone else might enjoy him more. But my all time favorite Ariel was the very first one that came out. She has "natural" red hair. So it has more of an orange-red shade instead of the bright red. She also came as a mermaid and with a wonderful version of the blue dress she wears while she is human. I just loved her. And she came out when the movie came out, I know that. I don't know which company made her though. My sister and I both got her as a Christmas gift that year.

I haven't been buying dolls as much because they take up so much room. And my husband thinks I have too many, which is probably true. I have sold a few non-Disney princess dolls but I have a really hard time parting with them as a lot of them were gifts, mostly from my parents. I just keep telling him they will help pay for college for one of our kids or retirement. :)
Looking for a dress for a talking Rainbow Brite doll from the 80\'s (around 18\") in good condition with decal.

Visit my Etsy shop! Jenny Lou Creations https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyLouCreations?ref=si_shop

Offline Marigold

• Vivaldi's Seasons Pony
  • Trade Count: (+103)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Liver and Onions
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 10, 2013, 08:03:16 AM »
Kermit, my sister had that Ariel doll.  She really was gorgeous and I love her natural red hair.  I think Disney ultimately decided Ariel has vibrant unnatural red hair (she is a mermaid after all and maybe that red is a mermaid color), and ever since then everything has "fake" red for her and I think I even prefer wigs used for Ariel over natural redheads playing her for this reason.  Merida is more of a realistic redhead, but Ariel has deep sea tubeworms red hair (look them up).

Offline KermitGreen82

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: September 10, 2013, 08:40:44 AM »
Well the bright red is more Ariel from the movie so I guess that makes sense but I really think that natural doll was so beautiful and special because she was different.

Post Merge: September 10, 2013, 09:08:24 AM

Okay, here is a small load of my Disney dolls. I have a lot more that have not been moved from my parents' house yet.

Sleeping Beauty

Giselle

Tink, Mary Poppins & Tiana

Belle

Snow White

Sleeping Beauty

My lovely mini dolls. :) Not sure they totally count but they are little dolls so here they are.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 09:08:26 AM by KermitGreen82 »
Looking for a dress for a talking Rainbow Brite doll from the 80\'s (around 18\") in good condition with decal.

Visit my Etsy shop! Jenny Lou Creations https://www.etsy.com/shop/JennyLouCreations?ref=si_shop

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 10, 2013, 12:08:33 PM »
Gorgeous dolls, Kermit! I love seeing Giselle :) I really like that Aurora with the winter dress! I've never seen her before :)

As for the redesigning of the princesses, normally I would be totally against it because I hate change :lol: But I LOVE Cinderella's new hair style! I always thought her hair was a bit strange, but the side swept bangs look so beautiful on her :) And I looooove Ariel's green dress. Red heads look good in green :)

Post Merge: September 10, 2013, 12:10:12 PM

Ahahaha! My lovelies together at last! :heart:

Wow! :dribble:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:10:13 PM by Shenanigans »
My Wish List

Offline KermitGreen82

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: September 10, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
That winter Aurora is from the Disney Store a while back. I have a lot of Disney Store dolls - a family member used to work there.

I don't mind the redesign for now. I think they are just trying to freshen them up but my guess is they will bring back a "classic" look in a few years.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: September 10, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
Thank you Toyjunky. :) I thought the redesign must have been made recently but I wasn't sure. I really do love both mermaid Ariel and human Ariel I just don't like it when Disney seems to forgot that she was a mermaid and a human. I'm not saying that the merchandise should be equal but sometimes it's like Disney goes so far one way and you don't see much of her in one form and then all of a sudden there's more of her in the other form.

You have a great collection of dolls Kermit. :) I like the Belle in the green dress. 

Whale of a Tail Ariel is one of the ones I don't have. I looked at getting her a long time ago but she was too expensive. I've heard that the orange hair Ariel was discontinued because a lot of people didn't like her hair. She was made by Tyco also.

I had no idea Disney would only make Giselle for a short time. Sometimes I wish I would have gotten the wedding dress Giselle.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline KermitGreen82

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: September 11, 2013, 05:25:01 AM »
I picked up some of the Giselle merchandise thinking they would continue to come out with more but about the only thing you may see now is a pin. :(

It is too bad the discontinued the orange hair Ariel because she really was a lovely doll. But I can see how she didn't really "match" the movie version.

moonlight twinkle

« Reply #314 on: September 11, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »
Well the bright red is more Ariel from the movie so I guess that makes sense but I really think that natural doll was so beautiful and special because she was different.

Post Merge: September 10, 2013, 09:08:24 AM

Okay, here is a small load of my Disney dolls. I have a lot more that have not been moved from my parents' house yet.

Sleeping Beauty

Giselle

Tink, Mary Poppins & Tiana

Belle

Snow White

Sleeping Beauty

My lovely mini dolls. :) Not sure they totally count but they are little dolls so here they are.

I am so jealous of your giselle dolls! I only own the disney store version of  her! She should of became a disney princess!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal