collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies  (Read 4258 times)

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
Re: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2013, 07:55:03 AM »
I can only recall one time where there was some tomfoolery and it was a pair of guys who didn't keep their language child-appropriate. I told them to mind where they were and that their language was not pony-appropriate. That shut them up pretty fast.

Well said!

I don't really see what will that accomplish except moving the bronies to the front of the store. Perhaps the moms think they can point at them and accuse them of doing something wrong more easily if they're seen out front instead of inside? If so, those are some pretty darn nasty ladies.

They think they're protecting children. Their intentions are good, but if that's the case, they're probably misguided. People dedicated to a particular cause and entrenched in a certain worldview are very difficult to sway, though. When you're scared of something, you already view a certain group of people as being against you, so it's hard to make any progress.

I think that the best thing bronies in that situation can do is just be kind and peaceful and change peoples' minds by example.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2013, 08:09:46 AM »
<------- *is watching this thread*  :hmm:
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »
SO ANYWAY I think that's kind of a score. I wish the Walmart pony section was at the front because the place is humungous and having to not walk the whole store would be excellent. And help me resist monster high/lego better. So far MH hasn't won, but...
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2013, 08:16:20 AM »
I`m creeped out by this thread. Your all okay with this? I have always been a guy that has always collected girly toys and I have just as much right to be in toy section as anyone else. It`s a public place. If a mother is complaining because she heard someone cussing she has to get over it because again it`s a public place. This whole thread concludes that if you male your either not accepted or your a child molester.

I think the only reason if any they moved the section because of a shoplifting issue. Most of the time, in my area at least the blind bags are all opened. Toy R us moved all small bagged toys to the front to save money.

All? No, I think most of us are assuming that the bronies in question did nothing wrong, but we're recognizing that because of the culture we live in, we can see why some people would leap to unfair conclusions. Take another look. If it was because of men in the aisle, I think it was over a misunderstanding than any deliberate malice on the part of either party in the conflict.

I`m sorry I don`t mean to lump you all together in the way males are all lumped together. I think my first post was at the same time as yours. The thought of this just made me sad and to me sounded like this: Sorry guys, you might creepy molesters so we need to keep an eye on you.

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2013, 08:20:55 AM »
I`m creeped out by this thread. Your all okay with this? I have always been a guy that has always collected girly toys and I have just as much right to be in toy section as anyone else. It`s a public place. If a mother is complaining because she heard someone cussing she has to get over it because again it`s a public place. This whole thread concludes that if you male your either not accepted or your a child molester.

I think the only reason if any they moved the section because of a shoplifting issue. Most of the time, in my area at least the blind bags are all opened. Toy R us moved all small bagged toys to the front to save money.

All? No, I think most of us are assuming that the bronies in question did nothing wrong, but we're recognizing that because of the culture we live in, we can see why some people would leap to unfair conclusions. Take another look. If it was because of men in the aisle, I think it was over a misunderstanding than any deliberate malice on the part of either party in the conflict.

I`m sorry I don`t mean to lump you all together in the way males are all lumped together. I think my first post was at the same time as yours. The thought of this just made me sad and to me sounded like this: Sorry guys, you might creepy molesters so we need to keep an eye on you.
I'm really sorry. :( I think we're just trying to understand both sides, since we don't have a lot of details on what happened.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Pinecone

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2013, 08:41:30 AM »
I don't think the situation is that it was one guy, but a lot of them. Honestly, if there's a lot, it's more likely that inappropriate comments will slip out, or that they will intimidate customers if there's a bunch of them.

I've never encountered any bronies. I feel no shame about going into these things, but if there's a little kid there, I make sure they get to be the one closer to the toys, and get the room they want. Maybe that was a trouble? Maybe they weren't giving kids enough space?

thekozmicpig

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2013, 09:52:15 AM »
One of the toys r us I go to moved the ponies to the back of the store on the opposite side from where they used to be. Actually they practically changed the whole store around but the ponies are at the back.

I don't really care where the ponies are in the store.

Being at the front of the store is actually a good thing, most toy companies want a front location at the store - I don't see what the problem is, sounds like a win/win for everyone.

Another issue I have noticed is blind bag stealing. I have run into at least 5 situations where Blind Bags have been open/stolen because I found the empty bags in store. And if I've run into this 5 times in different stores then I can imagine it's happening it other places as well. I have also seen Lego Mini Figures like this as well, empty bags.

So, I don't see how moving ponies to the front of the store is bad for anyone.

Pretty much this. Helps them cut down on theft, Hasbro sits thrilled that the first thing people see when they walk in is Ponies, parents feel their kids are safer. Store wins, Hasbro wins, parents win, store manages to win again cause parents are happy and will come back.

I don't know what happened to cause the move, but if it was parental complaints, than three cheers to that store for listening to it's customer base.

In a more personal note, my TRU keeps their ponies in the middle of the store. Like you have to go through a bunch of aisles and can't see them unless your dead set on pony locating. My Target's the same way.

Why must ponies always be hiding for me?

Hexi

« Reply #37 on: May 23, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »
Next time i go in there i'm going to ask. this thread has really made me think in response to why they were complaining about the men in the aisles.
if the mothers were just doing it because it made them uncomfortable then what kind of example is that setting to their kids? it's teaching them to be suspicious of every uncomfortable situation that they encounter. however there may have been a really large number of complaints in which case the store had no choice but to move the section because it could end up being damaging to their sales if they are seen as uncaring. also the mothers would stop going in if they were truly disturbed by the incident and saw that nothing was done about it.
it may have been a mixture of both the complaints and a high number of theft from that particular section maybe?
I will go ask next time and let you all know the answer. :)

DancingPhoenix

« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2013, 11:02:19 AM »
I worked at TRU for a little while and they have a whole training video on shop lifters and what to look out for. A customer (because it's not just bronies that do this, some people are timid about buying children's toys and I have been for a while myself) who is aimlessly walking around and looks a little nervous or that is "hovering" around does look really suspicious. Unfortunately men are often seen as much more likely to be criminals then women so I guess they just assume when they see these people that they're going to steal something. It's similar with kidnappers, but I know for a fact TRU has many measures in place to prevent that sort of thing.

Offline Cadence

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • The Polyglot Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2013, 11:56:02 AM »

I think that the best thing bronies in that situation can do is just be kind and peaceful and change peoples' minds by example.
Agreed!

Pretty much this. Helps them cut down on theft, Hasbro sits thrilled that the first thing people see when they walk in is Ponies, parents feel their kids are safer. Store wins, Hasbro wins, parents win, store manages to win again cause parents are happy and will come back.

I don't know what happened to cause the move, but if it was parental complaints, than three cheers to that store for listening to it's customer base.
^ And this :)

The only thing negative I can think of about moving ponies to the front is:
More pony publicity = less stock for us collectors. :P

That being said, I also understand that the more timid collectors, including young teenage bronies, who may find it harder to justify their purchase (ie. they are too young to be a parent & don't say they're buying something for their sister, lol!), will feel even more embarrassed while pony-hunting with stock being displayed in the front. But hey, if they really want to buy ponies, I don't think that will stop them in the longrun. ;)

And besides, that will help them be less shy and also show those not in the know that ponies are not just for little girls. So to me, it's a win-win situation for everyone!
 || Sig by LunaCat || :fox: :heart:

Offline Shiromisa

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Real-Life Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2013, 12:39:16 PM »
Next time i go in there i'm going to ask. this thread has really made me think in response to why they were complaining about the men in the aisles.
if the mothers were just doing it because it made them uncomfortable then what kind of example is that setting to their kids? it's teaching them to be suspicious of every uncomfortable situation that they encounter. however there may have been a really large number of complaints in which case the store had no choice but to move the section because it could end up being damaging to their sales if they are seen as uncaring. also the mothers would stop going in if they were truly disturbed by the incident and saw that nothing was done about it.
it may have been a mixture of both the complaints and a high number of theft from that particular section maybe?
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth--well, yes, I think it's healthy to be suspicious of uncomfortable situations. After all, most of the time, they're uncomfortable for a reason. If a kid like my little sister saw a strange dude skulking around near her, I would expect her to tell a responsible adult that she does not feel safe.

Actually, it's happened before. Not at the toystore, but at the mall. She was there with a friend (they were both 11 at the time), and they noticed this guy was following them around from store to store. They thought fast, and ducked into Belk, bought whole new outfits off the clearance rack, changed in the dressing room, and lost the dude. I wasn't sure whether to scold them for not getting security (I know half the team from my time working at the mall, so they'd be sure to help her out) or applaud her for being awesome. I settled for both, haha.

My Etsy shop! I've got G4 blind bag necklaces and pony-themed caramels for saleCommission me for a custom blind bag hereSwap wishlist here!Current grail: Li'l Cupcake and German StarshineSell me your prototype/error/unusual blind bags!

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Bad that you sister and friend were in a situation where they had to do that, but dang, that's some good thinking.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2013, 12:59:36 PM »

Agreed!

^ And this :)

The only thing negative I can think of about moving ponies to the front is:
More pony publicity = less stock for us collectors. :P

That being said, I also understand that the more timid collectors, including young teenage bronies, who may find it harder to justify their purchase (ie. they are too young to be a parent & don't say they're buying something for their sister, lol!), will feel even more embarrassed while pony-hunting with stock being displayed in the front. But hey, if they really want to buy ponies, I don't think that will stop them in the longrun. ;)

And besides, that will help them be less shy and also show those not in the know that ponies are not just for little girls. So to me, it's a win-win situation for everyone!

The teen guys can always ask for a gift receipt that way it looks like they are buying a gift. Who has to know they are not.

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

RedSH

« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2013, 01:08:30 PM »
Nothing to add to the debate as to why the toys were moved but just wanted to say that Southampton TRU is my local store too!

Haven't been there for a while (I have a 3 year old who loves to spend hours looking at every toy and then gets upset when I finally try to prise her out of an electric car so we can go home!!) but may venture in if the ponies are at the front now :)

Hexi, last time you were there did they have any fashion style ponies?

Hexi

« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2013, 01:33:42 PM »
At the risk of putting my foot in my mouth--well, yes, I think it's healthy to be suspicious of uncomfortable situations. After all, most of the time, they're uncomfortable for a reason. If a kid like my little sister saw a strange dude skulking around near her, I would expect her to tell a responsible adult that she does not feel safe.

Actually, it's happened before. Not at the toystore, but at the mall. She was there with a friend (they were both 11 at the time), and they noticed this guy was following them around from store to store. They thought fast, and ducked into Belk, bought whole new outfits off the clearance rack, changed in the dressing room, and lost the dude. I wasn't sure whether to scold them for not getting security (I know half the team from my time working at the mall, so they'd be sure to help her out) or applaud her for being awesome. I settled for both, haha.
fair point but there's a difference between uncomfortable (i was on a london bus once and a guy stood with his crotch basically pressing against my elbow) and dangerous like that that guy following them. but that was some pretty awesome avoidance skills there. XD

RedSH: haven't been in there for a couple months cause i live in bournemouth but last time i was there they had pinkie and RD i think. maybe rarity. but not many. they mostly have the playfuls. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal