collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies  (Read 4259 times)

Offline tulagirl

• Trade Count: (+110)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Southampton is creeped out by Bronies
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
I'm not saying there is no danger in the world...
It's just that some people see ONLY the danger and treat everyone with suspicion and fear.

Yes I know.  That is true.  Sometimes trauma just does that to society. Here we are dealing with this type of trauma almost daily.  We drive down our highways and see amber alerts often.  Its just hard.  I see your point though.

Post Merge: May 22, 2013, 01:16:46 PM

Oh and I didn't mean to take us off topic, I just kind of know how moms feel from my own trauma and how I felt.  If moving the ponies helps everyone. I see no harm in that.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 01:16:46 PM by tulagirl »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Tulagirl's 2019 Wanted List
Thank you Sapphire Rain for my Siggy!
I need Good Weather's Glasses please PM me if you are selling.

Offline Dludnerad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • ice cream and llamas!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 01:18:06 PM »
I wish they'd move the MLP section of my local TRU to the front, (sometimes the store is so busy it's hard to get into the aisles) but there isn't enough stock to fill the space there.
Last time I went in there they had three single pinkie pies and a couple of FS pinkies.

The front display space is huuuuuge and is full of Monster High dolls right now. I hadn't realised there were so many versions of each character. I think Monster High deserves it's own branch of Brony style fans :)

I see it... Can you see it too...? :shocked:

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 02:30:11 PM »
hm, yeah, I can see why a bunch of pacing men would be creepy, if that's what was going on.

(Note: I'm ftm, and uh, look exactly like a girl. So I haven't actually experienced any 'ew creepy guy' fear myself. Most people ask if I'm buying for my daughter or a girl relative, if they care at all)
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Hexi

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 04:05:19 PM »
im not sure if the guys were skulking (probably) or if they were just being loud and boisterous or what. the guy didnt explain it to me in detail.

everyone has had some really good opinions.

my issue with the ponies being at the front of the store is that i CAN'T hide in the toy section. feel like im being judged when i make a beeline for the ponies. haha!

i get that parents want their kids to be safe and everything and lord knows groups of teenagers/young people scare me (yes i am aware im techincally considered a "young person") but i do think there was a certain amount of over reaction involved. :D

Offline Rosencrantz

• Shakespearian Tragedy Pony
  • Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I like shiny things
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
I will say I'm automatically wary when I see a group of young white men, but that's only because that's pretty much the only demographic that's ever done me harm. Plus the statistical fact that they're more likely to be predators of various stripes.

But man, do I want more details about this.
 (backcard by Ivy!)

Offline Ginger

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • TE Bright Eyes Fanatic
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 04:56:48 PM »
I do like the idea of the section moving to say the end cap so it isn't in the actually isle its self. I too get easily distracted by the other toys, every time I pass the LaLa Loopies I really want to start collecting them. Also kinda interested in the Monster High, Novi Stars and some others but they are in a different isle.

Sad to say we seem to have a different prominent perversion with men in the the little boys areas then in the girls.

LOL!!! That's exactly how I started to collect Lalaloopies... I succumbed.

Wanted | Flickr | Tumblr | PonyDex

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2013, 02:59:35 AM »
Honestly please don't feel embarrassed about purchasing ponies. :) People collect much more curious things in their lives and ponies are retro and currently trendy. Collecting ponies should be fun and while not everyone has to shout it to the sky, you will find that most people are not judging you and will either laugh or shrug it off or even discuss them with you. Especially in a toy shop! There are collectors of just about all types of current toy, I am sure people working in TRU have come across a lot of collectors.

As to the move..*shrug* - I don't see any harm in the move its not as though they are removing ponies from stores. But I do also understand requests from parents. In the UK the brony phenomenon is no where near as large as in the US - its not a common current topic of conversation and it doesnt pop up in news feeds as much. Therefore, I would guess most parents would have no idea what was going on. At the end of the day the most important thing for parents is their child. If they judge someone a little they do so only due to caring for their child. If it harms no one, I would understand the request and the move by the store.

Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 03:45:53 AM »
I wonder what was all going on for that to be moved?

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:58 AM »
One of the toys r us I go to moved the ponies to the back of the store on the opposite side from where they used to be. Actually they practically changed the whole store around but the ponies are at the back.

I don't really care where the ponies are in the store.

Being at the front of the store is actually a good thing, most toy companies want a front location at the store - I don't see what the problem is, sounds like a win/win for everyone.

Another issue I have noticed is blind bag stealing. I have run into at least 5 situations where Blind Bags have been open/stolen because I found the empty bags in store. And if I've run into this 5 times in different stores then I can imagine it's happening it other places as well. I have also seen Lego Mini Figures like this as well, empty bags.

So, I don't see how moving ponies to the front of the store is bad for anyone.

Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 06:25:14 AM »
Personally, the idea that people think young men buying ponies is somehow dangerous to their kids offends me so I was pretty shocked by this turn of events, however, after this description...

I think part of the problem is some bronies are embarrassed to be looking at ponies so they kind of... Well for lack of a better word lurk around the isle. I've seen it happen where a brony (I assume) will kind of pace nervously around the ponies and try to not get caught looking at them and buying them. And I mean honestly if you don't understand what's going on its totally creepy looking. If they dive in and act totally normal it's no problem people assume they have a daughter or they and shopping for a party or something. It's when they act like something is going on that makes people nervous. I don't blame the moms out there, they just don't know what's happening.

:rofl: that is both hilarious and creepy... and sad. I guess i understand why someone who has no clue about today's cultural tendencies would get creeped out.

however, this just makes it worse for those guys that are already embarrassed to buy ponies :( I wish the stores worked a bit more on making those parents understand and making those boys not feel embarrassed rather than than doing this. If I were a guy collector I would feel the store is telling me that I don't belong there and should take my business elsewhere :( I just don't feel this was a good answer to people's concerns.

Oh, and for the Blind Bag thing, I think that with all the stealing history it would make sense to have them at the cashier? Sure, it would make it hard to ID the ponies (standing there awkwardly gawking at the package) but at least no one could open them up and take the ponies.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 06:27:59 AM by Vintergatan »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Aurora

• Wingless Flutter Pony
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2013, 06:42:47 AM »
I know when I was about 15, I wanted a Barbie doll and felt silly about wanting one, so I made a big deal out of pretending it was for a kid. Now? No shame at all. If I want a doll, or a pony, or a lazer gun that makes pew-pew noises, I'll proudly buy it for myself. But I can see why some people might be uncomfortable.

Tula, that's horrible and scary what happened to you, and I'm glad the story had a happier ending than I was expecting. I'm sorry anything that frightening ever happens to anyone. Ever.

And as for moving the ponies, if we did that, I imagine the ponies would sell better! They'd be out in front, and any kind of publicity is good- if the ponies moved for a gossip-worthy reason, they'd sell better! That's just how people are. I wanted to buy one of those dolls that said "Islam is the light" just because it was on the news and we made a big deal out of pulling them off the shelves. So rock on, TRU! Move the ponies around and make up crazy reasons for it! Maybe then we'll get the Minty we all want!
Thanks so much to Calico_Star for her beautiful work on my Avatar!
**want list**  **for sale**

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2013, 06:55:50 AM »
Most people are good. It's just a sad thing that there are those who are sick in the head who ruin things for everyone else, so that some of us have to live in fear. Definitely makes me sad.

I'm sure the bronies "lurking" around the aisle, 99 times out of 100, are just minding their own business or embarrassed about being there themselves, perhaps looking for a good time to sneak in and pick out their purchase without being criticized. But for someone who doesn't know about that demographic... yeah, unfortunately it would cause some to leap to conclusions.

That having been said, moving the aisle won't do any harm. :) And if it makes parents feel more comfortable then that's great too. But it makes me wonder if any male bronies have ever run into trouble for being in the "pink" aisles.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline MrPony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2013, 07:06:01 AM »
I`m creeped out by this thread. Your all okay with this? I have always been a guy that has always collected girly toys and I have just as much right to be in toy section as anyone else. It`s a public place. If a mother is complaining because she heard someone cussing she has to get over it because again it`s a public place. This whole thread concludes that if you male your either not accepted or your a child molester.

I think the only reason if any they moved the section because of a shoplifting issue. Most of the time, in my area at least the blind bags are all opened. Toy R us moved all small bagged toys to the front to save money.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 07:13:00 AM by MrPony »

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2013, 07:27:48 AM »
I`m creeped out by this thread. Your all okay with this? I have always been a guy that has always collected girly toys and I have just as much right to be in toy section as anyone else. It`s a public place. If a mother is complaining because she heard someone cussing she has to get over it because again it`s a public place. This whole thread concludes that if you male your either not accepted or your a child molester.

I think the only reason if any they moved the section because of a shoplifting issue. Most of the time, in my area at least the blind bags are all opened. Toy R us moved all small bagged toys to the front to save money.

All? No, I think most of us are assuming that the bronies in question did nothing wrong, but we're recognizing that because of the culture we live in, we can see why some people would leap to unfair conclusions. Take another look. If it was because of men in the aisle, I think it was over a misunderstanding than any deliberate malice on the part of either party in the conflict.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Domingo

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 07:49:28 AM »
I can only recall one time where there was some tomfoolery and it was a pair of guys who didn't keep their language child-appropriate. I told them to mind where they were and that their language was not pony-appropriate. That shut them up pretty fast.

Well said!

I don't really see what will that accomplish except moving the bronies to the front of the store. Perhaps the moms think they can point at them and accuse them of doing something wrong more easily if they're seen out front instead of inside? If so, those are some pretty darn nasty ladies.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal