collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Lack of Equestria Girls Merchandise  (Read 5101 times)

Offline Archer

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/manga_mayhem/index.html
Lack of Equestria Girls Merchandise
« on: May 21, 2013, 06:10:02 AM »
So this is a discussion i was having with a friend last night about the distinct lack of EG merchandise. The movie comes out in America in less than a month and we've seen nothing in the way of merch. By now i expected to have not only seen the new dolls but possibly have them in some shops. But we've seen nothing, not even a leaked picture. Does this strike anyone else as odd? Obviously the movie has been made for Hasbro to be able to sell more toys, but that point seems hard when the toys aren't even available. As a child, when i had seen a movie i liked, my first thought was about the toys that were available from it. Surely it's counter productive to not cash in on the initial rush of people going to see something?

What are other peoples thoughts on this? I know some of you don't like the whole idea, but this isn't really debate on the idea itself, but rather the marketing (or lack thereof) that goes with it :) Why have images of these dolls, prototypes or whatever not been found yet lol.

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Equestria Girls Merchandise
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 06:21:05 AM »
But...didn't they just announce it? I'm sure that we will see merch soon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Archer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 06:23:43 AM »
Well the art started showing up online  months ago and i think it was officially mentioned at the toy fair earlier in the year when it showed up in a  hasbro press release. Yet no merchandise was shown at the toy fair and there has been nothing since.

Offline Sebby6

• Maid of Metal \m/
  • Trade Count: (+151)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://sebby6.darc.net
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:40:24 AM »
Maybe the people in the Chinese factories don't realize that it's MLP

Always looking for MLP erasers

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:24 AM »
mmmm I don't think they are going to get much in the way of Merch till after the movie is actually out... If I recall the movie is only in select theaters so not everyone is going to be able to see it right off the bat thus some of the merch would kind of be a little odd... at least my way of thinking...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline reanna-mator

• Trade Count: (+87)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Feminist novelist pony
    • View Profile
    • http://reannaking.deviantart.com
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 07:08:09 AM »
I'm planning (crosses fingers) not to go nuts on Equestria Girls stuff, but I'll probably at least get Fluttershy for my army. :P I'm pretty sure that once the movie is out-- maybe even once it's been on TV so more can see it, we'll see some toys.
Breast cancer warrior.  :enraged: I'm now cancer free!

My Wishlist! Help me finish US G1! http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,386264.0.html

Offline Malicieuse

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • All gen collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 07:11:07 AM »
Wasn't there something about Equestria Girls getting "introduced" at Comic-con?

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 07:14:42 AM »
I imagine they are trying to keep it quiet as they can debut it as BRAND-NEW and HOT and You Won't Be Cool without It...  but also, I bet it's a small spin-off that doesn't require as much marketing.  :)  I highly doubt we're going to have both MLP and EG running simultaneously for any length of time.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2013, 07:16:44 AM »
I think the assumption is that the EQG merch, like the dolls, will be shown at Comic Con. Isn't the movie supposed to come out in August on DVD and/or on the Hub? It would make sense since the theater selection for the movie is extremely limited.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2013, 07:22:30 AM »
Like most movies, its starts to show up when the movie in showing in the theaters. And there is tons of it out when the movie is done. It will show up do not worry :)

Offline Archer

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2013, 07:42:09 AM »
Maybe the people in the Chinese factories don't realize that it's MLP

That made me lol ^_~

baby_yoyo

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2013, 11:01:25 AM »
Does anyone know if it will be released in UK cinemas???

Im dying to drag my husband to see it as he said rather smugly 'sweetie if any MLP movies are released at the cinema I will watch them with you'

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2013, 03:35:35 PM »
Yes the Comic Con answer :)

Though it was mentioned at the Toy Fair, there was technically no official confirmation of what it was until a couple of weeks ago. Yes, as collectors we were 99% sure and there was too much floating around for it not to indicate strongly what was going on but until the leaflets showed up in the most recent products, until the trailer Hasbro had been completely silent on it. 

But for a script which was conceived and written over 12 months ago it has been super secret until the leak of that first image.

Hasbro have confirmed that Comic Con is the official launch. So while we will get the movie in some US cinemas next month, I honestly dont expect to see toys and merch until much later in the year. They will probably be more to coincide with the launch of the DVD and the airing on the Hub.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:43 PM »

Though it was mentioned at the Toy Fair, there was technically no official confirmation of what it was until a couple of weeks ago. Yes, as collectors we were 99% sure and there was too much floating around for it not to indicate strongly what was going on but until the leaflets showed up in the most recent products, until the trailer Hasbro had been completely silent on it. 

But for a script which was conceived and written over 12 months ago it has been super secret until the leak of that first image.

Hasbro have confirmed that Comic Con is the official launch. So while we will get the movie in some US cinemas next month, I honestly dont expect to see toys and merch until much later in the year. They will probably be more to coincide with the launch of the DVD and the airing on the Hub.

Oh that's good to know- 

And I agree with others that toys often seem to hit the stores at the same time as or even after the movie release.   The movie is really just a commercial to sell toys after all.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 08:12:28 PM »

That was my guess too. The toys would come out in August-ish (?) when the movies goes to DVD and airs on the Hub.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal