collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ever After High Discussion Thread!  (Read 37219 times)

Offline Rhini

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • MOC Mimic
  • In Ponyland, all the food is poison!
    • View Profile
Re: Ever After High Discussion Thread!
« Reply #375 on: May 31, 2013, 09:47:36 AM »
Thanks, Rhini!

Maybe I just have lower standards but I would be okay with the faces as we can see them right now. Again, I also hope that the angle distorts them a bit because yes, they have something of 2.0 Lala. Very poofy faces.

A quick question to everyone who knows more about dolls than me: is it common that prototypes would already be shown in boxes? To give customers an overall impression of the product maybe?
Because I can't really buy the prototype theory right now. They look so.. finished to me because they're already packed up ^^#
Yeah, very puffy. But with that angle it's so hard to tell.

And yep! With a new line especially so. I actually am responsible for making prototype boxes like this all the time at work XD (accursed mockup boxes!!)  You want to be able to show the retailer as close to a finished product as possible, because ultimately they decide the fate of line, if they'll carry it or not :)

Thanks for clearing that up! I have much to learn *g*
But do you think I can still dream of inset eyes?
Only if I can too! x3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 31, 2013, 09:48:18 AM »
I'm a royal rebel. I like both sides. I just love love LOVE Briar! *O*

I really like that Briar's character motivation is to party until she literally drops XD
I really don't think that the royals are all bland or "air-headed" (someone said it in this thread, I just forgot who). It's just that the rebels are going against the system and that clicks more with me (Cerise, come into my arms! I love the Perrault version of LRRH and werewolves in general, so I'm obviously biased, lol)!

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 31, 2013, 09:54:26 AM »
I'm a royal rebel. I like both sides. I just love love LOVE Briar! *O*

I really like that Briar's character motivation is to party until she literally drops XD
I really don't think that the royals are all bland or "air-headed" (someone said it in this thread, I just forgot who). It's just that the rebels are going against the system and that clicks more with me (Cerise, come into my arms! I love the Perrault version of LRRH and werewolves in general, so I'm obviously biased, lol)!

I think that's what Mattel is going for. I think they want you to side with the "bad guys" because stereotypically, you aren't "supposed to" like the bad guys. I think Ashlynn is adorbs as well. She seems so sweet and down to earth, but LOVES shoes rather than completely air-headed like Apple.

Thanks to tumblr, my OTP is now Cerise x Hunter. It might change, but this pairing is just GAH! Love it! :heart:
-Bow Tie

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 31, 2013, 09:54:33 AM »
Rhini, you improved them so much! ^-^
I agree with all you have said!

Plus I also get a 'cheap' vibe from those dresses - which would be a shame, since most designs are very lovely. Also I kind of don't expect it from Mattel, since aside from the plastic accs. not properly painted, they're doing pretty awesome (and extra paint is an easy fix).

So I hope this is to blame on them being prototypes as well. *keeps fingers crossed*

I'll wait with my final judgement until I see them in stores or at least better pics of them. ^^

( Despite this I think I am almost set on my way of collecting these: Sig Cherise + All the Alice in Wonderland-Characters since it's my favourite tale. PLUS unicorns/mermaids should they ever make some. C: )

Offline keylimepony

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • Kiwi Tart
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 31, 2013, 09:59:14 AM »
Whats with the Brothers Charming? One is dating Apple white and the other i don't know but didn't their father or fathers marry Snow White and Cinderella kinda deal. So not making sence in Ever After High hope it gets explained. Lol

I've been confused about this too. It really needs to be better explained because it makes no sense right now. If a lot of the daughters are the product of fairy tale moms and prince charming dads that means the princes at school can't also be sons of prince charming because then they're all related.
Thank you TwistedRainbow for my avatar and RainbowJuice for my signature!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 31, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
Whats with the Brothers Charming? One is dating Apple white and the other i don't know but didn't their father or fathers marry Snow White and Cinderella kinda deal. So not making sence in Ever After High hope it gets explained. Lol

I've been confused about this too. It really needs to be better explained because it makes no sense right now. If a lot of the daughters are the product of fairy tale moms and prince charming dads that means the princes at school can't also be sons of prince charming because then they're all related.

THIS! Gosh.. I'm so glad I am not the only one.. xD

When I heard about all this 'do exactly as your parents did' and thinking about how all their Moms married a charming I was getting this thought of Apple&Daring being siblings as well.

But.. uhm, maybe Daring is the brother of Ashlyn and the future price of Briar is the brother of Apple and so on so on. That way it, while still a very limited gene-pool, wouldn't be much worse than what most european royal families have been doing for centuries 'til they were allowed to marry 'normal' people. xD;

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 31, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
Don't many fairy tale princes not have actual names? I've been out of the loop for fairy tales so my memory is extremely fuzzy. I thought Snow White's prince is just "The Prince."
-Bow Tie

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 31, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
I guess we're just overthinking it.
The school is supposed to be "full of Prince Charmings" which means that the Charming Brothers could be any Charmings and not the specific Charmings from the girls' tales.

But hey, aren't royal families to be full of incest marriages? Giggity! *gets kicked out of thread*

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 31, 2013, 10:12:10 AM »
While we're on this vein of thinking, if red hood is part wolf that means her mom and the wolf.....*giggity*

Offline Aeryala

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 31, 2013, 10:18:17 AM »
Thanks, Rhini!

Maybe I just have lower standards but I would be okay with the faces as we can see them right now. Again, I also hope that the angle distorts them a bit because yes, they have something of 2.0 Lala. Very poofy faces.

Edit: Just my two cents on the ethnic diversity in EAH. I totally agree that even though most of the characters are based on Central-European and North-American tales/rhymes that doesn't mean they all have to be white. My expectations are always low in that regard so I can't get too upset about a lack of diversity, but that doesn't mean I don't wish for improvement.

Some folks in this thread have already pointed out that MH introduced more characters that weren't coded white as the series/brand progressed, so that's something I can hope for.
As much as I dislike most Disney adaptions, Princess and the Frog had a black protagonist even though the tale as we know it is most likely set in a Central-European environment. But they changed the story and the setting to make it work and that's something I really liked about that movie 8I thought the movie itself was incredibly boring, but I'm not amongst the Disney Princess fanbase at all, so what do I know? Haha! I will alwas have a soft spot for Jasmine, though. Lady is perfect!)

Oh, and I don't want to be rude but can we please drop the term "political correctness"? This is a brand for all girls, I assume. Not just for the Caucasian ones :/
This is about representation, not about being as close to the "originals" as possible. "European" fairy tales, when closely examined, have their counterparts in almost all cultures.

All of this.  There is no reason other than racism that Mattel put soooo many pale blondes in this series.  We can all see that they're not trying to make these characters look like the Disney versions, so there's no reason at all that they couldn't give some of the characters darker skin and/or hair colors; and they absolutely should have done so.  The line being based on European stories is irrelevant to the lack of diversity, imo; see Milky's reference to the HBO "Happily Ever After" show.

Love the characters and the webisodes so far and I can't wait to see more...but am I the only one who's disappointed by the fact that most of the characters just seem to be boring ol' humans?  I was REALLY hoping to see fairies and unicorns and mermaids, etc... Even Kitty is a human with a cat ear hat instead of a cat girl like I was hoping to see.  And, yeah, that's a lot of whiteness going on.  I was hoping there's be more variety in skin tones, not only in natural skin tones but fun fantasy skin colors like they do in Monster High.  I don't know.  I was just expecting a little more creativity from the line.  There are a few too many mostly-white-human-girl doll lines already, IMO.  I guess that's why I'm so drawn to Monster High. 

I also thought there would be more fantasy species and am very disappointed that there isn't; it seems especially wrong that Kitty Cheshire is just a human with an ugly cat-ear hat.  Hopefully they will branch out later and get more creative once the doll line is successful. 

Is anyone else hoping that they'll make dolls/toys of the three little pig characters?
Especially if one of them is wearing that ridiculous "pimp" outfit.  XD

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: May 31, 2013, 10:19:00 AM »
While we're on this vein of thinking, if red hood is part wolf that means her mom and the wolf.....*giggity*

From Perraults version:

The wolf, seeing her come in, said to her, hiding himself under the bedclothes, "Put the cake and the little pot of butter upon the stool, and come get into bed with me."

Little Red Riding Hood took off her clothes and got into bed. She was greatly amazed to see how her grandmother looked in her nightclothes, and said to her, "Grandmother, what big arms you have!"

"All the better to hug you with, my dear."

Awoo! :lol:

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #386 on: May 31, 2013, 10:20:27 AM »

When I heard about all this 'do exactly as your parents did' and thinking about how all their Moms married a charming I was getting this thought of Apple&Daring being siblings as well.

But.. uhm, maybe Daring is the brother of Ashlyn and the future price of Briar is the brother of Apple and so on so on. That way it, while still a very limited gene-pool, wouldn't be much worse than what most european royal families have been doing for centuries 'til they were allowed to marry 'normal' people. xD;

I think one of my favorite explanations of the Prince Charming conundrum comes from Into the Woods, where there are two princely brothers who, after rescuing their princesses, realize that they're booored without the chase, so they dump their first "true loves" and find themselves two other ones instead. Ah, quirky musicals, you amuse me.

But no, in most fairy tales the Princes are not actually named. The name Prince Charming comes from them being described as charming princes. It's one of the many reasons that Sleeping Beauty is my favorite disney movie; Prince Phillip is a detailed, developed character with a name and personality. Plus Maleficent is the beest villain ever, and I love her plan of revenge. Not no happy ending, just... waiting a century or so.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline Bow Tie

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 31, 2013, 10:24:15 AM »

I think one of my favorite explanations of the Prince Charming conundrum comes from Into the Woods, where there are two princely brothers who, after rescuing their princesses, realize that they're booored without the chase, so they dump their first "true loves" and find themselves two other ones instead. Ah, quirky musicals, you amuse me.

But no, in most fairy tales the Princes are not actually named. The name Prince Charming comes from them being described as charming princes. It's one of the many reasons that Sleeping Beauty is my favorite disney movie; Prince Phillip is a detailed, developed character with a name and personality. Plus Maleficent is the beest villain ever, and I love her plan of revenge. Not no happy ending, just... waiting a century or so.

That's what I thought. Many people are basing these off the Disney princesses (which are more fluffier versions of the original stories) so that's my guess as to why many are confused and think there is incest going on.
-Bow Tie

Offline Rhini

• MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 31, 2013, 10:28:37 AM »

From Perraults version:

The wolf, seeing her come in, said to her, hiding himself under the bedclothes, "Put the cake and the little pot of butter upon the stool, and come get into bed with me."

Little Red Riding Hood took off her clothes and got into bed. She was greatly amazed to see how her grandmother looked in her nightclothes, and said to her, "Grandmother, what big arms you have!"

"All the better to hug you with, my dear."

Awoo! :lol:

Hahaha we read that for a fairy tales course i took in college and everyones general reaction to that was -->  :blink:

Flutterwonder13

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #389 on: May 31, 2013, 10:35:27 AM »
I AM IN LOVE. So the website says enrollment starts July- does this mean this babies are going to be popping up around then? Great- that's when all the MH stuff is coming out too! Oy vey.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal