collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quality of work for swaps vs. commissions  (Read 4104 times)

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Quality of work for swaps vs. commissions
« on: May 12, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »
This was just brought up in another thread and it got me curious. Do you expect the quality of a swap pony to be less than the quality of a commissioned pony from the same artist?

Also, do you as an artist treat swaps and commissions differently as far as work and efforts go?

Offline Tiella

• Trade Count: (+118)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • Professional Multi-Tasker
    • View Profile
    • Deviant Art Page
Re: Quality of work for swaps vs. commissions
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 10:40:58 AM »
I expect to get an artist's best work when in a swap and I give my best as well regardless of if it is a swap or a commissioning am being paid for. There is no reason why there should ever be a difference of quality between a paid commission and a swap pony.

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 10:42:30 AM »
I expect my partner to do their best, just as I am doing my best on the pony for my partner. A swap is still a transaction. Just because you aren't always  sending to the same person you are receiving from you are still receiving "payment" in the form of a pony and a swap should really be treated no differently than any other transaction.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 10:42:38 AM »
I know that when I make ponies for custom swaps I often push myself to try new things and make better ponies. (Not that I think every pony I've made for a swap is spectacular, looking back there are some I wish I could re-do, but at the time they were my best effort.) Swaps have traditionally been where I've made some of my craziest ponies. Swap ponies are super important to me and I put a LOT of effort into them. So if anyting, I end up putting MORE work into swap ponies because swaps give me a bit more freedom to do crazier things.

I feel like if I'm putting that level of effort and dedication into swap ponies, I really hope other people are as well. I have gotten some absolutely amazing ponies out of swaps where it's clear my partner put as much love and effort in as they would on any other pony. I would certainly hope that that is the norm.

It's a bit distressing to see people thinking "well I'm not getting paid to make this pony, it's just a swap, so I don't have to work as hard." The person you are making a pony for is paying for supplies just like you are, and putting in time just like you are, and may be putting in a LOT of time and effort and creativity. They shouldn't be treated as if they are not worth your best effort - that's just not fair :\

Offline pandabear_chan

• Trade Count: (+393)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://customsbypandabear.deviantart.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 10:45:42 AM »
To be honest I expect the best quality of an artist that is possible in general. Why to expect less quality for a custom by a swap than by a commission? Just because the lack of money? For me understandable.

I treat every custom in the same manner and do my best either for a swap or for a trade or commission. Making a difference in quality is not fair for the receiver in my eyes. May sounds harsh but that is just my 2 cents.

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2013, 10:46:30 AM »
So far I agree with everything said. I always try to push myself more an  try to be creative in swaps, since you're not making a specific ordered piece.

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2013, 10:54:25 AM »
At one time, I did used to think that it was the case. I am really ashamed of this. I'm really lenient towards flaws, and I assumed that anyone who would be paired with me would feel the same way. Well, I learned the hard way that that's not how it is, and I actually have been making an effort to make my ponies better. I do sometimes slip up, as I can still be a bad judge at what's acceptable and what's not, but now, I'm at least trying to get advice before sending anything off. Fortunately, the Arena is full of some super talented people who can give great advice! :)

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
I admit that some of my swap customs have not been my best because I didn't manage my time well enough and then I would rush them. But the last few swaps I've been taking my time and paying better attention to detail. I agree that a swap custom should definitely be the same quality as a commission or better. It really helps to have a plan before you get started on these things, the same as if someone were to commission you with their idea.

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2013, 11:02:21 AM »
Panda, I find your honesty very refreshing <3

I agree with everything said above!  Swaps are a great way to push the boundaries.  I never want anyone to get a pony from me that is less than a "SQUEEEEE!" when opened if at all possible. 

Offline NoDivision

• I am vengeance, I am the night!
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • No Division Customs
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2013, 11:09:51 AM »
I agree with everything said above!  Swaps are a great way to push the boundaries.  I never want anyone to get a pony from me that is less than a "SQUEEEEE!" when opened if at all possible. 

Every pony I have from you has elicited that reaction :)

Offline WaePonies

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 11:24:49 AM »
  I never want anyone to get a pony from me that is less than a "SQUEEEEE!" when opened if at all possible.

Love this <3 lol Totally agree ^.^
It might be just me but when I join a swap I don't really mind what pony I get in return, I join to make a pony for someone with that topic/theme and to try and make someone really happy ^.^ I'd love to think my partner puts in 110% but if they cant or if they wanna try something new and it doesnt work out to the high standard they want I dont mind ^.^ because either way they've put some sort of effort into it ^.^ 

xoxo

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2013, 12:12:48 PM »
I agree with the above comments. I make relatively few customs in comparison to some other artists, and for me swaps have been a great opportunity to get my name out. That's one of the reasons I've always aimed to give my everything. Swaps also provide themes and ideas that may sometimes result in techniques I haven't tried before, even some wild ideas! For this reason, like WaePonies said, I would not mind if my partner tried out something that didn't work in the end. Swaps are also about having fun, and I would not want my partner to stress about the custom, although I do expect them to do their best.

I also second WaePonies on the reason for joining swaps. I never join because I want to get something - I join swaps with interesting themes that inspire me to create. More than once I've noticed I'm not able to limit myself as far as complexity, "price range" etc. go. I've done some "never again" customs for swaps, and some that would really be at my expensive end of the commission price range. I don't really consider it when I start, I have an idea and I just have to realise it, no matter what. Sometimes the designs are simpler, sometimes more complex, but I always aim at top quality work. However, I do admit I don't generally stress about swap customs as much as commission work, and I'm more inclined to experiment. Sometimes the best results are the outcome of an experiment, however. ;) I would say my best customs have been swap ponies, but that may partly be because I haven't done that many commissioned ponies yet.

To sum up: I expect the quality of a swap pony to match the quality of the said artist's commission work. However, I don't expect to receive a pony that matches the high end of their commission prices - if I do, I'm thrilled and honoured, but I'm happy with a simpler pony as long as the thought and dedication is there. :)

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Alatariel-Silimaure

• Rainbow Glitter Bomb Pony
  • Trade Count: (+41)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2013, 12:33:30 PM »
Swap ponies are both stressful and fun for me. I always strive to do my best on every custom I do, but because of the time constraints and the level of stress it gives me, I often avoid sculpting whenever possible. For me, a nightmare situation would be where I finish a sculpted swap pony and the new owner gets it only to find it broken :( and for that reason I usually stick to non sculpted ponies, or very minimal sculpting. It's not because I'm going for lower quality, it's because I want the owner to squeal over it when they get it, and NOT have to worry about broken ponies. I have done some amounts of sculpting for a swap pony though, but I spent almost the entire time freaking out that it would get broken @_@

with a commission, I don't worry as much about the sculpted pieces.. if the owner gets it broken, then I'll fix it for them. But with a swap it just feels different? I'm not sure if anyone knows what I mean, it's hard to explain XD

but yes, a swap pony and a commission should have the same quality!

Check out my Sales! MLP, Non MLP, customs, and more!

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »
I agree with a lot of what's been said already. The only thing I'm a little lax on is due dates with personal swaps, as I see those as more casual than a hosted one... unless my partner expresses a desire for a certain date. But the quality I try for is always my absolute best and each project I do I aspire to push myself a little farther. I don't treat the value/ quality of swap ponies vs commissions differently as I see swaps as a great way to practice and hone skills. (and also possibly more importantly since I'm still a fairly new name out there- a fantastic way to spread my work out on the market and hopefully drum up some interest commission-wise... first taste is free haha)

So yeah, long story short... I would be mortified if someone thought I didn't put effort into my work, and I know I'd be a bit bothered if someone didn't do the same for me. I totally understand people being on different levels, we all have to start somewhere, but to me it's the effort that truly matters.

That being said... back to work on this swap pony!

Offline Sarahlacewing

• Mommy sparkle pony
  • Trade Count: (+87)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 03:12:59 PM »
I do my best quality of work for a swap just like I would for a commission. I do allow a little more wiggle room because I have so much more time to work on a swap pony than a commission.  So I tend to work on it a little bit over time instead of in larger chunks at once.  However, many times I have received customs in swaps that were not up to par with the users other work.  I know there is a difference between inexperience or a failed experiment and just general laziness but it's a fine line sometimes.  It always disappointing me, but I have come to kind of expect it.  There isn't much that can really be done anyhow. If I tell the swap person they would get stuck having to make a replacement and I don't want that.  I don't like to put someone nice out just because someone else stinks.

I will say looking back at some past swaps that if you looked at that custom and looked at my customs today you'd think I didn't try as hard as I could.  But I did.  I did my best at the skill level I was then.  And now I have come so far that my work today is much improved.  But I have always done my best.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 03:17:34 PM by Sarahlacewing »
I'm not really on here anymore. Email me if you need my for something.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal