collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Quality of work for swaps vs. commissions  (Read 4120 times)

Offline BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Quality of work for swaps vs. commissions
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 04:04:25 PM »
While I have only done one commission (and found that it stresses me out waaaay too much to do any more), I adore swaps and I always put 110% effort into the customs I make. That said, I tend to be very experimental and have done a lot of firsts (and some OOaK) things for swap ponies. Being they were first times the techniques were not perfected and were I to make them again, I might do something differently/better. That doesn't mean that it wasn't my best at the time and I wasn't trying my hardest.

I wouldn't expect any less from anyone else. But like Weaponies, the best part about a swap for me is making a special pony for my partner, no matter what I get in return.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Belltock Raincurl
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 05:51:36 PM »
I always put my best into every custom. I make something that I love and am happy with as well as adhering to my partner/customers wishes. Swaps allow for more creativity, and I will usually take that opportunity to try new things. They don't always work how I envision, but it's good for an artist to push their own limits. Swap or commission, I budget my time to get it all done without any part being rushed.

I *expect* equal effort and quality from my swaps, but I have not always gotten that (both private and organized swaps).

I firmly believe that artists should do their best in commissions AND swaps. Why would you want to give anyone something that isn't your best? Why would you agree to a swap only to wait till the 11th hour and slap something together? wouldn't you be upset if someone did that to you? Do you think that someone will want to commission you after receiving (or seeing someone else receive) a less-than-your-best swap custom?

The only difference to me is that commissions have more flexibility in their timeline (unless agreed to otherwise, like getting it done and mailed for a special date -birthday, xmas, etc) and that swaps can allow for more thinking outside the box and experimenting. Quality and effort should NOT be differences.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline pop-girl

• Trade Count: (+140)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wix.com/mlppopgirl/pop-customs
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2013, 06:11:34 PM »
I expect to get an artist's best work when in a swap and I give my best as well regardless of if it is a swap or a commissioning am being paid for. There is no reason why there should ever be a difference of quality between a paid commission and a swap pony.

Agreed 110%
The idea that someone would put less effort into a swap custom is just sad. :(
Love & Miss My Pony Peeps!  :lovey:

jupiternwndrlnd

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2013, 06:13:39 PM »
in my world, i strive to have both swaps and commissions and trades to all be my best work. always have.

i would HOPE that others strive for the same thing, but unfortunately that doesn't always seem to be the case

Offline Colorscapesart

• "BE COOL!"
  • Trade Count: (+204)
  • Fakie!
    • View Profile
    • Custom Ponies
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:39 PM »
I agree with everything said above!  Swaps are a great way to push the boundaries.  I never want anyone to get a pony from me that is less than a "SQUEEEEE!" when opened if at all possible. 

Every pony I have from you has elicited that reaction :)

*tackleglomps*

Offline PrincessOfDarkness

• Queen of the Zombie Ponies
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
    • my dA
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2013, 09:28:38 PM »
I expect to get an artist's best work when in a swap and I give my best as well regardless of if it is a swap or a commissioning am being paid for. There is no reason why there should ever be a difference of quality between a paid commission and a swap pony.

Agreed 110%
The idea that someone would put less effort into a swap custom is just sad. :(
Agreed.

:heart:  Never really open for commissions, but can be bribed ;)  :heart: SOOOO much Love to Jupi for my amazing Cupcake Zombie :heart:

Offline BerryMouse

• Starry-eyed idealist pony
  • Trade Count: (+622)
    • View Profile
    • BerryMouse Custom Ponies & more
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2013, 11:23:13 PM »
To be honest (and I hope no one will get mad with me now) .... I'm not a huge fan of Custom Swaps cause I also have the feeling that sometimes the quality is not the best.

I always try to create my Customs as best & perfect as possible and the mistake is that I expect that also in return.
Yah I know it's somtimes the skills that might not fit into my ideology.  :|

So the reason why I don't participate in lotsa Custom swaps is that I received "not so good quality" kind of customs in the past from time to time.
Sure you could have luck and get a partner that think like you and do the best work as possible.... and I received such Customs as well ;)

So I could say from my side - I always try to create the best custom for my partner, I don't care if it's a swap or a commission =)
But sadly cause of my experience over the years I don't expect anything anymore... and trying to get not too disappointed in the end.

That might sound harsh but that's how it is... for me.
BerryMouse Custom Ponies on Facebook
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BERRY'S SALE TOPIC

Offline Eluluu

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • should be sculpting... ooh! Netflix!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2013, 01:35:57 AM »
*hugs berry* hopefully the ones you got that you felt were less than spectacular were experiments and not the product of slacking. So far I haven't been disappointed in a swap custom *knocks on wood* =)

AngelBlue

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2013, 01:48:19 AM »
I always try my best at both, I really hope that no one has been disappointed with any ponies they have had from me for a swap xx

Offline wiccanpony1

• Trade Count: (+73)
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2013, 04:32:33 AM »
I always try to do my best work possible it doesnt matter if its a commission,swap,for my self or for my children I want to make the best I can:) Not all of my ponies have been wonderful I have a lot to learn lol but I always try my hardest x

keikokukien

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »
I've noticed that it is easier for me to work on ponies for trade or self indulgence because I have full creative say in how she will look. But I try really hard to get the same level...look, I guess, with commissions. Someone once said on here that taking time on a commission just means that you'd rather spend extra time than only do the minimum....

But I can totally see past mistakes sometimes and how much I've learned. Sometimes I wish I could go back and do this or that on a commission because I've learned through taking risks on my art ponies. So...honestly, I think customs that are for trades end up my best work. (Plus I love seeing my partner happy if I can. That's the best part about this hobby!)

Offline Rainbowjuice

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • /)*brohoof*(\
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2013, 06:20:37 AM »
I make my ponies to the same quality regardless of what they're for. Gifts, swaps, commissions or trades.
To me it makes absolutely no difference in someone has paid for a pony or not, the outcome is you want to make someone smile at the end of it all and sending less than top-notch work will not have that effect.

I've been doing a lot more swaps than commissions lately because I just love the idea of sending my partner a special pony made JUST for them, this in mind I try my hardest to make each pony better than the last.
I'm pretty lenient about what I receive in return but I will admit being a little crest fallen when I've sent a custom that I've but a tonne of effort in and received one that has been less so. Of all the swaps I've done this has only happened once so I remain blissfully optimistic when joining.

We make pretty plastic ponies to make other people smile, that's about the jist of it and the best way to achieve that outcome is to send only your best work.
Wanted: G1 Minty & G1 Bowtie

Huge thanks to Ivy for my sig ♥♥

Offline Roogna

• Trade Count: (+594)
    • View Profile
    • http://roogna.deviantart.com
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2013, 07:21:17 AM »
Berry, I know and understand. While it's good to see everyone here confirming they are good swappers/commissioners, I have personally had a bad experience with a well-known&popular customizer in a private swap (that needed mod intervention) and I know someone else who had a partner in an organized swap wait till the last week to make the custom - in both cases it was not their best work, to be polite. (note: I am leaving names out on purpose to be respectful - if you know anything about these situations, please keep any more details to yourself, thank you).

As in my previous post, I never understand why people would do that, but the sad fact is that some do. Thankfully, most  people (from my experience) are good eggs and treat others the way they want to be treated.

DeviantArt Etsy

Offline StrawberryMeadow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • 'Scuse me, just here to steal all your TE's. Ta
    • View Profile
    • DA
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2013, 08:50:23 AM »
Personally I have only ever been offered one commission and I flaked because the pressure was too much (self-confidence etc). I find that with swaps I am able to focus solely on the person's needs, and I work very hard on them. I have seen instances of finished ponies, where I think " gosh, is that up to their usual standard?" but there are so many factors I daren't judge peoples' methods/reasons. Personally I think I would put the same amount of effort in but I guess my point is invalid as I haven't been able to justify taking any commissions yet as I still feel too new.

I did do my Red Riding Hood and Wolf swap items at the 11th hour, but that was (I think) justified as I felt the original pony was simply not up to standards. And I put a lot of effort into Red and Wolfy, and I hope it shows. For me, to carry on with the original would have meant giving my partner something which was below par for me, and not at all a good reflection of me, my work, or my intentions.

As a hobbyist and someone who is always striving to improve my work I simply don't understand how someone could justify ever sending anything to anyone without putting their best in, unless they had previous issues with said partner and felt some level of personal restriction as a result. (though I would hope in this case swap partners would be re-arranged to suit).

Why join in the first place just to put half an effort in?

/2cents

Miserati

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2013, 08:55:32 AM »
I always try to give 110% on swap ponies. Probably more so than even commissions because like others have said there's an artistic freedom. I always start early and is rather be finished half way through than be stressing at the end and rushing it. I've known several people who have been disappointed in swaps for this reason -- spending a lot of time on something just to receive something that either is rushed or something that didnt reflect your interests.

It's disheartening.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal