collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vegans?  (Read 1699 times)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
Vegans?
« on: April 29, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »
Are there any vegans around?  ^.^
After being veggie for 15 years I wanna try & go vegan for a while. :>
Do you have any advice or favourite recipes to share? ♥

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
Re: Vegans?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:08:42 PM »
We have quite a few. Hopefully they'll stop by soon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
I'm not a vegan but I've been vegetarian for nearly a year now.

I know I have a few vegan recipes lying around somewhere, so maybe tonight I will dig some out for you!

I know you can try searching the tags on Tumblr and find some lovely recipes there, but be forewarned that you can find a lot of really stupid and potentially upsetting comments both by and directed towards vegans. Even so, I've found a lot of great stuff there, so it may be worth checking out.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
I'm not a vegan but I've been vegetarian for nearly a year now.

I know I have a few vegan recipes lying around somewhere, so maybe tonight I will dig some out for you!

I know you can try searching the tags on Tumblr and find some lovely recipes there, but be forewarned that you can find a lot of really stupid and potentially upsetting comments both by and directed towards vegans. Even so, I've found a lot of great stuff there, so it may be worth checking out.

Hey! The first year is always the hardest so - Go you! Good Job! C:

That would be awesome! - I have already found a good bunch online, but I guess it does not hurt to ask people for their personal favourites since those are often the best and most tasty ones. ^^

Thanks! I'll brace myself and check tumblr, too. ;>
I already got a bunch of flak for asking this question on my facebook, so yeah... I really don't get it, tho. What you eat and don't eat is kind of a very personal thing and you don't own anyone an explanation since it's totally none of their business, no?! ...oh well, I guess that is just how some people roll. ;<
Being a vegetarian since childhood I got used to some of it.. but turning vegan seems to be an even BIGGER issue to some than the good ol' veggie. xD

Offline Rachel-Eyes

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 06:59:45 PM »
I already got a bunch of flak for asking this question on my facebook, so yeah... I really don't get it, tho. What you eat and don't eat is kind of a very personal thing and you don't own anyone an explanation since it's totally none of their business, no?! ...oh well, I guess that is just how some people roll. ;<

Oh my gosh, this this this this this. I've recently gotten some flak for it too and that's exactly what I said... everyone is so special and unique, and so are the choices we make with our own bodies. That includes the kind of food we put into them. My being a vegetarian doesn't affect or hurt anyone else just like their decision to eat meat doesn't affect or hurt me. So why bully other people for their choices? Veggie or not, just don't be a bully! I hate bullies!

I'm sorry that people over Facebook were not as supportive as they should have been. :hug: Just know that by making the choice that YOU want to make for your own body, you are doing the right thing and really, they should be ashamed of themselves for being so rude. I personally think that by choosing to at least try veganism, you are exercising both discipline and maturity. So go you! Best of luck on your new lifestyle. :)

Offline MonstarNomNom

• Trade Count: (+71)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2013, 08:19:40 AM »
Just wanted to hop in and offer my support as well! :hug: I have been a veggie for a little over a month now. I originally was going to go vegan but decided vegetarian was the right path for me. I got a good bit for it too, so I know how it feels ;( A lot of "Oh, you'll never be able to do it!" And stuff like that. But what they say doesn't matter and I don't burden people with my food choices. I hope you can find some tasty recipes! I had some vegan banana pudding a while back and it was AMAZING! I have no idea what the recipe was though, sadly. :(
:heart: My Etsy~My Facebook Page~Wishlist~IG:@perfumepuffprincess :heart:

Offline Peach

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Ouchy Roids Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2013, 08:35:04 AM »
It's nice knowing there are more vegetarians/vegans here :]
I've been vegetarian for 14 years and I even before that I didn't eat much meat, I never liked the taste and texture. Luckily, my parents accepted that and I wasn't forced to eat meat.
I'd like to try veganism too, but it seems hard. Even though I don't love milk, eggs and cheese, they are hidden in loads of food.. and I really like yogurt, soy yogurt just isn't the same. Hmm.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2013, 08:36:26 AM »
I haven't eaten beef in 11 years... Vegan is a bit much for me living in the land of cheese. I've got tons of vegetarian cook books... I'm sure someone else has some great receipe recommendations. If I have to recommend anything, lots of beans...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2013, 09:12:05 AM »
I've been a vegetarian for almost half my life. It came very naturally, I wasn't big on any type of meat since I was born *g*
I have so many cool cookbooks at my father's place. I need to get them next week. There's a recipe for eggplants with bulgur that's a bit tricky, but super tasty!

I have thought about veganism for a while a few years ago, but I already restrict myself so much and I just love milk from cows, camels, goats... I try to buy the regional products where I can look at the cows myself to ease my bad conscience a bit u__u
Anyone who is able to stay vegan and not switch back to vegetarism has my respect!

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2013, 11:07:26 AM »
I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I am a registered dietitian and teach nutrition and we discuss these topics quite in depth as a lot of people do seem to think that vegan/vegetarians are weird!  Anyway, just wanted to jump in and say there is an awesome documentary (Food Inc) that you might suggest to anyone that gives you any flak about eating less/no meat or anyone that tells you "going green" or "organic" (which is what I'm more into) is only for tree-huggin' hippies!

I can't help with recipes but if anyone has a tried and true vegetarian lasagna recipe, I'd love to have it!  I've tried a few and haven't found a good one, yet!

As far as going vegan, I just wanted to put a little advice out there from the Academy of Pediatrics and the American Dietetic Association- if you have children/plan to have children, vegan diets are not recommended as vegan diets are lacking in some vitamins (B12 being the main one along with calcium) and minerals which children need for proper physical and mental growth.  Vegan and vegetarian diets are also high is fiber which is GREAT for adults but not so great for kids.  Fiber fills kids up too quickly and they can't eat enough calories to get the nutrition they need.  Kids have a hard time getting enough calcium from veggie diets because, although spinach and greens contain calcium, it isn't as bio-available as calcium in dairy products.   So, whether you have kids or not, do your research and if you have kids, talk to a pediatrician about the possibility of supplements and fortified foods in a vegan/vegetarian household!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 11:36:41 AM »
I'm not vegan or vegetarian but I am a registered dietitian and teach nutrition and we discuss these topics quite in depth as a lot of people do seem to think that vegan/vegetarians are weird!  Anyway, just wanted to jump in and say there is an awesome documentary (Food Inc) that you might suggest to anyone that gives you any flak about eating less/no meat or anyone that tells you "going green" or "organic" (which is what I'm more into) is only for tree-huggin' hippies!

Living in a country of meat (and potato) eaters, I get really dumb comments every now and then. For example the ever so stupid: "If you stop eating meat you won't be able to get enough iron anymore!"
The funny part is that I never had a lack of anything while the people who used to mock me lack iron every once in a while. Of course this makes me laugh evilly whenever it occurs. The pale veggie has a full storage of iron and vitamins and the meat-eaters have to drink yucky supplement juice ;)

Offline Aadra310

• Trade Count: (+80)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
    • Etsy Shop
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 11:50:04 AM »

Living in a country of meat (and potato) eaters, I get really dumb comments every now and then. For example the ever so stupid: "If you stop eating meat you won't be able to get enough iron anymore!"
The funny part is that I never had a lack of anything while the people who used to mock me lack iron every once in a while. Of course this makes me laugh evilly whenever it occurs. The pale veggie has a full storage of iron and vitamins and the meat-eaters have to drink yucky supplement juice ;)

Oh, yes.  A properly planned and researched vegetarian diet can be super healthy with plenty of vitamins/minerals/calories.  And now that soy/tofu is widely available, it's much easier for vegetarians to get a complete protein source.  Plus, lots of professional athletes are vegetarians and they have to be at the top of their game, so to speak!
I like to do vegetarian meals and am working on lower my and my husband's consumption of meat for health, ecological,  and ethical reasons. 

Vegans do have a trickier time getting enough essential nutrients in a restricted diet.  Being educated on what a typical vegan diet lacks and talking to your doctor about a good multivitamin to fill in the gaps is a good place to start but remember, supplements should never REPLACE proper nutrition.

It's hard here in the mid USA, too- meat and potatoes country, so I know exactly what you're talking about, Zapper! 

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »
I've been vegetarian for 10 years (my 10th anniversary is coming up in a few months! :D) and i've always wanted to go vegan however, I don't think that will be possible much in Iceland, at least not yet, but i'll be lurking here for any and all recipes and tips :)

~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
Yes and no.  I cant eat 90% of anything out there--but its medical and not a choice.

Its gotton to the point where im forced to take supplements but thats another matter entirely.

That said, id love to read recipies and such..to determine if I can expand things <3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 10:59:31 PM »
Good choice!
Check out peta.de, they have a lot of really good recipes!
I have been a vegetarian for 12 years now I think.
My brother stopped eating any animal products in December, and since then he has lost 12 kg and he says he has never been feeling healthier and fitter in his life. But it's also a lot of work because eating out is almost impossible and you always have to cook yourself.
Myself, I don't eat much dairy products anyway, but I am crazy about eggs, no idea why. And when back in Germany, I must eat my beloved goat cheese, gosh, I miss that!
Aadra310, I have a wonderful lasagna recipe, but I would need to translate it into English as soon as I have some time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal