collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Vegans?  (Read 1698 times)

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Vegans?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 11:42:53 PM »
Kudos to all your vegeatarians out there. It's a lifestyle I really wish I could adopt because I know it's healthier. I can't bring myself to give up meat. I love it.

And I hate the flack veggies get for their choice. They almost act like it''s a contageous disease or some kind of cult. You guys get lots of crap for your choice and it's not right.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 02:05:09 AM »
As a farm bred girl, I appreciate my meat. I actually get super lethargic when I haven't had meat for a day or two, supplement or not, and I'm an absolute addict to meat, bread and cheese, so vegan is definitely NOT for me.

I get flack from a lot of my veggo friends, so I get where you're coming from. I believe in being well-informed of your food choices, whether it be vegan/vegetarian/organic/freerange/omnivorous. For instance, I don't eat organic meat products because I know how much those animals suffer from insects, parasites, etc... because in many countries they aren't allowed ANY treatments during their lifetime. If you've ever seen a flyblown animal, you'll know exactly what I mean. I use vegan non-food items though, I firmly believe that animals shouldn't be exploited for cosmetics and other products!

As for recipes, I'm not much help. Most of our recipes at work are vegetarian and/or gluten free, but not vegan! We do love our cheese and milk!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 06:13:07 AM »
Thanks for your opinions everyone! :D
I went full vegetarian at age 13 and never looked back or ate any meat/fish ever since. I had my share of medical checkups since, and all of them turned out fine, so I don't think my body is missing anything important. ^^

I cannot consume raw milk anyhow, since I get terrible headaches. And I don't like eggs much.. - So cheese & chocolate is basically all that I have to cut out (easier said than done, tho. ;>)
I want to stay vegan 'til the end of the year if I make it.. then go back to eating cheese/chocolate like once or twice a week or so. I'm honest, I don't think I can pull it for the rest of my life (definitely going to stay veggie for the rest of it, tho) - But cutting down helps too, I think. :)

And yeah, it always sucks when other people comment on your choice of eating, no matter WHAT you eat. It's none of their business.. SO WHY? WHY do they care?!! Very annyoing.. I always ask them that exact question straight out and mostly that shuts them up. XD

Honeycomb: Feeling healthier/fitter is part of the reason I made that decision. I ate a lot of pizza/snacks lately out of stress and it just makes me feel bloated and sick. -_-
I hope a vegan diet will help me to put more thought into what I eat again. :)
Weight loss would be another bonus that I'd surely not mind.. hehe. XD
I never eat out when in germany, either.. so that's no problem. ;D (expensive and most places too dirty compared to japan :O - japan tho.. might turn out even harder when cutting out egg&cheese.. so maybe I'll be vegan in EU and vegetarian in JP. xD)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 06:15:51 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 06:20:52 AM »
I have been a veg*n for 18 years, 6 of which were completely vegan.  I can definitely help with recipes, tips, questions, etc.

Check out books by Sarah Kramer and Isa Chandra Moskowitz as well.  They write cookbooks with easy-to-follow and really delicious vegan recipes.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Stargaze

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Land
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 01:54:14 PM »
I have been a vegetarian for 21 years now and tried to be vegan 9 months ago, but I'm addicted to goat cheese and don't want to be too harsh on myself. I started eating fish because the nutricionust adviced me to. I actually tried to be a raw foodie but I didn't get further than 'raw till dinner' because of the cold winter, I just needed warm food. I do take supplements like B12, D, magnesium, calcium, zinc. There are vegan B12 and D supplements but the human body doesn't 'take' them (don't know how to explain in English, but I'm sure you know what I mean).

I have a super simple recipe for vegan pancakes and they taste just as good (or even better) than the 'real' ones:
replace the cow milk for soya milk
replace the eggs for half a banana
For information about G1 + G2 + G3: Visit MLP Land 
~*~ My Wish List ~*~  :rainbow: ~*~ MLP Land Sales Albums ~*~

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 04:40:37 PM »

I have a super simple recipe for vegan pancakes and they taste just as good (or even better) than the 'real' ones:

That sounds YUMMY! wish the soy milk didn't cost an arm and a leg here :S
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »
I have been vege for 15 years now!
I was telling someone this the other day and her reaction was "Oh, you poor thing!" which made me boggle a bit. :P

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 07:48:17 AM »

Oh - I'll try that later. Thanks! :D

You know, especially B12 is one of the reasons why I think I cannot pull it off vegan forever/ in a very strict way. Like I said, being Veggie I never missed anything important - But Vegan is a whole other thing. :<

I have been vege for 15 years now!
I was telling someone this the other day and her reaction was "Oh, you poor thing!" which made me boggle a bit. :P

LOL. Don't you just love it? :D I also love reactions that go along the lines of 'Oh, ..but you look so healthy/great/normal/..!' xD

Offline Stargaze

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+83)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Land
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 01:09:48 PM »
@ Vintergatan: maybe you can use water instead of milk. Haven't tried that myself yet, but who knows...
For information about G1 + G2 + G3: Visit MLP Land 
~*~ My Wish List ~*~  :rainbow: ~*~ MLP Land Sales Albums ~*~

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 02:26:30 PM »
If you're worried about B12, get some nutritional yeast!  Only a tiny bit gives your RDA of B12.  Also, a lot of soy milks are fortified with it.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »
I'm not a vegetarian or vegan, but my sister has been a vegetarian for the last three or four years due to meat making her stomach act up, and not really being a fan of it. I spent Thanksgiving one year with her, her best friend (who's a vegan), and a few others and it was actually pretty cool. Wished I had remembered to try out the Tofurkey they had before it was all gone. :)  They did cook a ham just in case (some of the other friends ate meat), which I thought was pretty nice. I also have a few buddies who are vegans, including a great friend of mine.

If I didn't love chicken so much, I could probably be a vegetarian. I like eating beef or pork, but I could do without it if I needed to. I had even considered it when I was about 12, but I realized I'd miss chicken (and seafood) too much. I do like to eat vegetarian/vegan meals, and I give my friends and sister props for being vegetarian/vegan. I know where some of them live, it's hard to go out to eat because of a lack of vegetarian or vegan-friendly meals being offered on a menu.

It is a bummer that people attack others for what they do and do not eat. :( I know on Facebook, one of my vegan friends would often post about how unhealthy eating meat is, how cruel it is to animals, and that you should go vegan. It kinda got to the point where her posts came off as insulting/offensive/overly preachy instead of just informing people (if that made sense), especially when other people talk to her about how she was coming across.

I feel what people choose to eat or not eat is their business and nothing to attack them over, or make them feel bad about it. ^^
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline wystearya

• Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

I feel what people choose to eat or not eat is their business and nothing to attack them over, or make them feel bad about it. ^^

Agreed.

I eat meat -and- I love animals.  I don't think it has to be all or nothing.  This is all I will say about it.

I certainly respect those who choose not to eat meat and/or any animal products.  If that makes them feel good or healthier, then that is great!

For me I have semi-recently discovered I am gluten sensitive.  For medical reasons I have cut out most gluten from my diet.  I allow myself a bit now and then, but if I eat very much I will get sick.  It is not easy, as bread and pasta are everywhere!   So, in some ways I understand what you go through. 

Anyway, I just hope you see it is a two-way street.  You don't want people giving you flak for choosing to be vegan, and people like me don't want flak for choosing to continue eating meat.   Live and let live.  :)

Offline SourdoughStomper

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • grain free and pain free
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 05:45:22 PM »
I am not vegan nor vegetarian, as it is not compatible with a low(ish) carb, high fat way of eating. But I have come across a few similar reactions when I tell folks I don't eat wheat anymore. By choice.

"You'll go back to eating it someday!" Or "you're really missing out!"  No way!
 Credit to Shaiyeh for avatar.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 09:28:58 PM »
I just thought this went well with the topic, my last birthday I invited some friends to a vegan restaurant. There are plenty of those in my city, they are especially frequented by Buddhist monks. There's even a shrine in the corner where you can pray.
I took some photos of the food I ordered. If you are hungry, you might want to look away now  :biggrin::
Sadly, no recipes.

Sizzling tofu with celery and fermented beans.

A beef copy, eaten with cold vegetables and wrapped in lettuces. visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Crispy fried rice noodles with corn and spinach visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My favourite: sweet and sour pork copy! visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Taro wrapsvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

Spicy tofu with peas and mushrooms

Their menu is a book and it was sooooooo difficult to choose!
Enjoy the photos!

Offline aellos

• Girl with the box
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Reluctant warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2013, 10:52:37 PM »
Not a vegan, but I do like vegan recipes!
In fact, I've had some crazy good black bean brownies that could've rivaled chocolate brownies.

OMG those food pics above my post look amazing.
I don't mind tofu, and I loooooove veggies more than I like meat.
I could do without most meats, but I couldn't do without fish. So the best I could become is a pescatarian.
But I still love vegan recipies, mostly because I love cooking and vegan recipies are nice and creative. :D
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 10:54:54 PM by aellos »

||DevART||Tumblr||Red Pepper Ref||Flickr||
Don't fall reluctant heroes, I want to be brave like you.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal