collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Plastic Problemz  (Read 1427 times)

Offline rayedelsol

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
Plastic Problemz
« on: April 27, 2013, 05:41:50 PM »
Does anyone else notice their Spectra turning yellow? What are some of the other problems you expect as your collection ages?

Melissa

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Plastic Problemz
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 05:51:49 PM »
No, but I have PD Spectra, so maybe that will come with time.

I'm hoping that MH dolls won't get regrind, but I know older Barbies can have it so it's possible, but maybe Mattel has learned? I know that some glue seepage issues caused what LOOKS like regrind...

Offline Kalavista

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+276)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Open for commissions!
    • View Profile
    • KalaCustoms
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 05:54:00 PM »
Those clear shoes from Spectra's first fashion pack turned yellow for me ages ago. Bleck. But we kind of expected that.. I'm surprised to hear it's happening on the doll herself!

I keep my collection out of the sun, just in case... after all we've experienced with ponies in the sun! :(

I'm sorry to hear about your Spectra, raye! :(

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:06:58 PM »
I often hear horror stories about older toys not aging well, and it scares me so bad!  Green ear!  Pony cancer!  Clothing staining bodies!  Plastic melting other plastic!  Mold! 

I try not to use any foreign (not MH) items on my dolls, for fear of SOMETHING terrible happening.

I already noticed a pink transfer stain on my DT Frankie.  It's under the eyemask strap, which is white.  Where pink came from I'll never know :rolleyes:  It bothers me that I can't even protect them from themselves, you know? :huh: Shouldn't things that come WITH the doll be safe?

I've heard people complain Ghoulia's pink Fearleader socks have paint that melts onto the doll -_-  Gotta keep an eye on that :rolleyes:  Also someone else complained a pink headband left stains (maybe Clawdeen's Scream Uniform?  Can't remember.) on the face.

I think I'm gonna love (and hate) this thread!  It'll give me a head's up on stuff to keep an eye out for (so yay :)) but also give me a bunch more stuff to worry about (so boo :()
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline kissthethunder

• Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • shifting through the maples for Oakley
    • View Profile
    • http://kiss-the-thunder.deviantart.com/
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
I have a windowless room that I keep my collection in. No sun, no breeze, nothing. Just....dust v,v

I haven't noticed anything just yet, but oooh I'm dreading

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
I just checked my first release signature Spectra, and her hands and forearms are slightly yellowed. All my dolls are kept away from the window, so I don't think sunlight caused it. Her legs and feet look fine, though. Whatever is causing the yellowing only seems to be affecting the arms & hands.

Offline rayedelsol

• Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 10:04:38 PM »
Thank you for the sympathy, Kala. My Spectra's shoes are doing the same thing.

The clear parts aren't really yellow, more like they are clouding up and I know this is the process to getting yellow. My Spectras sit under the hutch of my desk, in a room that has dark curtains with blinds that are never opened. :(

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:24:35 PM »
Oh no es bueno. >,<; My spectra is still in her box, hidden in my closet, so I hope it isn't a plastic in general problem. :cry: Spectra is such an awesome idea of a doll, I'd hate to see that awesomeness be short lived because of the clear plastic turning yellow. >,<; Is it yellow faded? or just clear yellow?
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 10:47:30 PM »
My sig Spectra doesn't seem to be any cloudier than she was when I got her... (she's the first version with the all-black earrings so she and Rhuen had the relatively cloudier plastic already, and that makes it hard to compare with other versions). Like kissthethunder, my dolls are in a room without windows so no sunlight or major temperature changes etc. But my memory of what she first looked like may be faulty :huh:

However, her fashion packs boots do look a little more yellow than they used to, I think. I'm gonna keep an eye on her now! XD

I've noticed that several of my Operettas have head/body mismatch. They've been like this since I got them, so I don't think it's an aging plastic thing, but rather a factory thing like with G4 ponies? Interesting all the same since I haven't noticed it with any other characters... *muses* Purple plastic always seems to be a problem... /fears for Twyla
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Cate_Dartfinger

• Queen of the Forest
  • Trade Count: (+40)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 11:01:21 PM »
So its just her hands that are starting to change? :wonder: Maybe its from being handled? Do you dress/pose her often? I'm wondering if the oils from our skin would do that to the clear plastic...

Offline rayedelsol

• Phoebe Nix
    • View Profile
    • tumblr
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2013, 07:46:30 AM »
It may be her feet too. I'm just too scared to take her boots off. I don't handle this Spectra much anymore, but she is the first doll I ever got, so in the beginning I was def more hands-on.

It isn't something that a non-collector would notice. She hasn't gotten super bad yet. Also, she is the second release, with the two-toned earrings. Watch those earrings and make sure they don't swing up and touch her face. She has a black mark on her face now from where they sat on her cheek for awhile.

Kobold

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 08:11:16 AM »
BEWARE THE POM-POMS!   :scared:

(haha!))   But seriously, my Fearleading Draculaura has been holding pom-poms ever since I got her and I noticed she has very bright fluorescent pink marks on her hands - it looks like markers stains.
It's too late for her but consider wrapping your doll's hands in plastic if they hold the pom-poms.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2013, 08:46:37 AM »
I've heard people complain Ghoulia's pink Fearleader socks have paint that melts onto the doll -_-  Gotta keep an eye on that :rolleyes:

Eeep, thanks kitter!

I have that Ghoulia on my desk next to my screen, so I checked her right after reading this and of course the socks stained - Luckily a magic eraser romeved it w/o any harm to the doll left. Phew.. but those nasty socks! The pink paint is all sticky.. almost like WAX? And will stick to EVERYTHING.. fingers, fingernails, doll, paper.. I put Ghoulia back up without them and gave them a wash with vinegar.. I'll see how that turns out after they've dried.. pretty clueless on what's best to do if they're still sticky after that. Toss them out? :<

Another problem I've noticed with my dolls is Frankie's Hair loosing that lovely blueish hue and turning yellow over time. Even when living in a dark box 100% of the time. :c

Offline PandaBerryInSpace

• Trade Count: (+72)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2013, 08:52:57 AM »
My Spectra has definitely yellowed. I remember, when I got her, her limbs were crystal clear. Now, they're really cloudy. :(

If Monster High is anything like BJDs, then the yellow probably can't be prevented -- it's just the way the plastic ages, whether it's been sitting in a box, or taken out in the sun. (Though, taking it out in the sun does speed the process!)

Avatar art by January Joy, siggy art by DreamCatcher! Thank you so much! <3

ACNL FC: 3754 6763 3133

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2013, 09:03:13 AM »
My Spectra has definitely yellowed. I remember, when I got her, her limbs were crystal clear. Now, they're really cloudy. :(

If Monster High is anything like BJDs, then the yellow probably can't be prevented -- it's just the way the plastic ages, whether it's been sitting in a box, or taken out in the sun. (Though, taking it out in the sun does speed the process!)

What's so weird about this is that while many do, not all plastics turn yellow with time.. even within the same product line they don't.
Good example would be the SNES consoles - Some did SIGNIFICANTLY yellow, others look as good as new. And I've come across hundreds in the last years.. it's a weird thing to look at. (I once heard an explanation that it had to do with what kind of flame retardant was mixed in with the plastic)

Same with G1 ponies, Keypers, other 80/90s toys.. some yellow a lot. Others look rather mint.
And it has nothing to do with the sun, either.. for I had two grey gameboys always kept in the same manner and only one turned yellow-ish. So I guess it really differs from each production batch for the plastics may have been mixed slightly different each time.. who knows. I just thought it might be interesting to point out.. because even if most Spectras will turn yellow, there might be some that won't.. with no particular reason or influence of how they were stored I guess. :|

(but yes, sun does ALWAYS speed up the aging process.. whether it's a toy, a gaming console our your own skin. It will. Significantly. So it's always save to keep anything you want to preserve out of it. ^^)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:07:14 AM by Fräulein_Kim »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal