collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Plastic Problemz  (Read 1810 times)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Plastic Problemz
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2013, 10:55:14 AM »
I've heard people complain Ghoulia's pink Fearleader socks have paint that melts onto the doll -_-  Gotta keep an eye on that :rolleyes:
Not to mention the pink headband that comes with Clawdeen's Ghoul Spirit fashion pack, that will stain the plastic as well I heard. >,<;
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Mandy85

• Trade Count: (+61)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »
I checked on my signature Spectra, and under bright light it appears as though her forearms and hands may be slightly yellowed as well. Mine was an earlier release from China, and her transparent features were always a bit cloudier than the Indonesian dolls anyway, so I can't say if this is something new with her or not. Her feet seem fine, but they're also made from a different plastic.

I keep my dolls on a bookcase in a dark corner of my bedroom, far from the windows, and always wash my hands prior to touching them. It probably is just going to be par the course with some Spectras unfortunately. At least it only seems to affect the forearms and hands, maybe future batches won't be as prone to discoloring and we can just replace them. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 01:38:11 PM by Mandy85 »

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 12:41:49 PM »
My Sig Spectra's head is noticeably a more cream color than my other ghosties, but I haven't noticed her hands yellowing really.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
My three eyed ghoul's nose is a bit purple, but I think that may be because she was lightly customized. I dunno!

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 04:50:13 PM »
I've heard people complain Ghoulia's pink Fearleader socks have paint that melts onto the doll -_-  Gotta keep an eye on that :rolleyes:

Eeep, thanks kitter!

I have that Ghoulia on my desk next to my screen, so I checked her right after reading this and of course the socks stained - Luckily a magic eraser romeved it w/o any harm to the doll left. Phew.. but those nasty socks! The pink paint is all sticky.. almost like WAX? And will stick to EVERYTHING.. fingers, fingernails, doll, paper.. I put Ghoulia back up without them and gave them a wash with vinegar.. I'll see how that turns out after they've dried.. pretty clueless on what's best to do if they're still sticky after that. Toss them out? :<

Glad to help:)  Let us know how that lurns out.  I guess I'll have to check them.  Again.

I also got a Spectra with cloudy limbs, so if anything has yellowed, I don't think I'd notice.  Now IF I had found a crystal clear Spectra (like I always wanted) I'd be pretty upset if she started turning on me.  My sympathies to those effected:(
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2013, 11:01:44 AM »

Eeep, thanks kitter!

I have that Ghoulia on my desk next to my screen, so I checked her right after reading this and of course the socks stained - Luckily a magic eraser romeved it w/o any harm to the doll left. Phew.. but those nasty socks! The pink paint is all sticky.. almost like WAX? And will stick to EVERYTHING.. fingers, fingernails, doll, paper.. I put Ghoulia back up without them and gave them a wash with vinegar.. I'll see how that turns out after they've dried.. pretty clueless on what's best to do if they're still sticky after that. Toss them out? :<

Glad to help:)  Let us know how that lurns out.  I guess I'll have to check them.  Again.

I also got a Spectra with cloudy limbs, so if anything has yellowed, I don't think I'd notice.  Now IF I had found a crystal clear Spectra (like I always wanted) I'd be pretty upset if she started turning on me.  My sympathies to those effected:(

You can just wash the paint out. I did that with mine since the paint melted EVERYWHERE. Just took some soap and scrubbing :)

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2013, 11:50:06 AM »

Eeep, thanks kitter!

You can just wash the paint out. I did that with mine since the paint melted EVERYWHERE. Just took some soap and scrubbing :)

Yeah, it's just EVERYWHERE.. terrible. :< The paint on her hoody is a tad waxy as well, but as long as I handle her carefully I'll be ok I think.

You mean washing the socks until the pink is completely gone? Or just washing the top layer of waxiness off?

Offline Catlein

• Pony of Law
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Canadian law student obsessed with MLP and MH :D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:45 PM »

Eeep, thanks kitter!

Yeah, it's just EVERYWHERE.. terrible. :< The paint on her hoody is a tad waxy as well, but as long as I handle her carefully I'll be ok I think.

You mean washing the socks until the pink is completely gone? Or just washing the top layer of waxiness off?

I washed all the pink off since mine was totally unsalvagable. I miss the cute pink, but I don't miss the mess!

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2013, 02:27:09 PM »

Eeep, thanks kitter!

I washed all the pink off since mine was totally unsalvagable. I miss the cute pink, but I don't miss the mess!

Yeah, I suppose that'll be the way to go for me as well. -_-
It's sad about the nice detail, but it just sticks to my fingers every time I touch it, so....

Offline lemonice

• Trade Count: (+64)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 07:46:50 AM »
My Spectra has definitely yellowed. I remember, when I got her, her limbs were crystal clear. Now, they're really cloudy. :(

If Monster High is anything like BJDs, then the yellow probably can't be prevented -- it's just the way the plastic ages, whether it's been sitting in a box, or taken out in the sun. (Though, taking it out in the sun does speed the process!)

that is not fun to hear :( ohh i like the White color.. bahh

shivvy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
I wonder if there is a way to "unyellow" plastic. I'd really like Spectra's first fashion pack, but if the shoes turn yellow that would make me a very sad panda. I wonder if a scrub with baking soda would help?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2013, 04:07:26 PM »
Mine looks okay

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2013, 06:18:37 AM »
I wonder if there is a way to "unyellow" plastic. I'd really like Spectra's first fashion pack, but if the shoes turn yellow that would make me a very sad panda. I wonder if a scrub with baking soda would help?

Some people had success whitening MLP playsets with hydrogen peroxide.. I don't know if it would work on dolls and I forgot the exact procedure to do it, but it has been discussed here or in the old MLP-board so I think it should be archived somewhere. :)

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
I've had some problems with my CAMs with wigs developing spots on their heads. My vampire CAM has some purplish marks on her head, and just today I noticed that my favorite of favorites, my gorgon, has a orangy-yellow spot on her head. I'm assuming it's from the wig, but I'm not sure why just one spot is showing up and not a bunch.

Offline ShortyBoo

• Trade Count: (+212)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2013, 05:42:53 PM »
Anyone else's Catrine discoloring? I recently noticed my Catrine has one of her lower legs turning a yellowish beige color. Now I'm wondering if I should grab a new one while there are still some at Walmart. But then again, it could end up happening to the new one as well. I really wish we knew what caused this and how to fix and or prevent it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal