collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: thoughts and feelings about upgrading  (Read 523 times)

Aednatia

• Trade Count: (0)
thoughts and feelings about upgrading
« on: April 26, 2013, 01:30:49 PM »
I have decent (flawed) ponies I really like but want to upgrade to flaw free ponies..

How long do you normally hold onto a pony before you upgrade? do you resell the old pony or keep it and create an army?

The longer I hold on to a pony the more attached I get and don't want to sell it, but I also don't see why I should keep it if I didn't like it enough that I felt the need to replace it. plus I could use the money to buy more different ponies.

How do you decided about getting a new different pony or upgrade an existing one?

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: thoughts and feelings about upgrading
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 02:12:47 PM »
I keep flawed ponies until after I've received a replacement. I do get attached to them and it is difficult to let go sometimes. Deciding to get a replacement depends on the flaw. If the flaw bugs me enough that I've taken the step to purchase a replacement though I can't justify to myself keeping the flawed double.

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:01 PM »
I just plain keep both copies, whether it's Ponies or otherwise. :) The first one, whatever the flaw, was with me the longest and we made happy memories. I just couldn't see myself getting rid of them. But I am terribly sentimental. ;)

And sometimes I just don't upgrade even though there's a flaw. I lost a tiny figure of Yu-Gi-Oh!/Yami Yugi/Atem a long time ago, and when I found him again, he was kind of banged up. I kind of meant to upgrade, yet I couldn't bring myself to do so. I felt awfully guilty about him getting lost and beat up, and I was thrilled to have him back in any condition. So my banged-up one still stands with my other tiny Yu-Gi-Oh! figures.

Offline Lady Starflower

• Trade Count: (+246)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Brazilian & Greek Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »
If the flaw bugs me enough that I look for an upgrade I will sell the flawed one. It helps bring in more spending cash for my addiciton :lol:
Full Wishlist~*~Sales~*~
Grails: Greek(blue)Medley, Greek Sunlight(Silver Clouds) and Brazil Duck Soup.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Stormness_1

• Pony Of Anarchy!
  • Trade Count: (+28)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • I'm not a magical unicorn, you know!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I have trouble doing the actual upgrading. Once I've got the upgrade in my hands, I see how sad the old one was, and I pass it on to be restored by someone with better skills than I, or to be created into something entirely new with a customiser.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Moonbreeze, avi by Sapphire Rain.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 04:45:22 PM »
I'm mean. I typically upgrade if a better 'model' comes along  :P   I'm not an army collector and don't feel the need for double ups, unless they are variants. I've got pretty picky with my ponies, too, so generally the ponies who get moved on are the ones attained in my earlier stages of collecting. 

I do have a couple of special ponies that never made it to the sale bin, though. A double up Posey (just love that pony) and a Collector Pose Applejack (hair cuts, cut to the vinyl, faded apples) were just a little too endearing, so they got to stick around  :biggrin:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 04:46:51 PM »
I don't upgrade often or on purpose. I find that if I do get an upgrade that I have a difficult time selling the "poorer" condition pony...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline bbassel

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 05:21:38 PM »
I don't specifically look for upgrades but love it when i come across minty ponies on purpose. I put the nicest with my collection and put the other one with my doubles. I have never sold or traded any doubles yet but I do have good intentions ;)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2013, 07:24:04 PM »
I would never upgrade the flawed ones from my childhood! But as for the others, if the flaws bug me that much, I will sell! Brings in cash to spend on flawless ponies.

Offline himmie

• Trade Count: (+137)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Need More Boy Ponies
    • View Profile
    • Himmie's Collection
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 07:47:09 PM »
It varies for me. If it is a pony purchased more recently, I do not have an issue selling the poorer condition one.
I have not sold any childhood ponies to upgrade them though. I rarely try to upgrade as I am not overly picky.
When it comes to my boys, I can very rarely let go of ANY, regardless of condition.
WTB: MOC and Nirvana Boy Ponies
My Collection | Want List | eBay Store

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 12:34:41 AM »
With my childhood ponies I usually end up with the original and an uprgrade. With the rest I don't really have a problem with replacing a flawed pony, especially as I can use the Arena to find them loving new homes!  :)
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline Aitsuki

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:53:59 AM »
Well... I only collect G4's, so any flaws are typically factory flaws or if I goof up on styling them. I don't mind upgrading, except for a few special ponies my best friend gave me. For example, I'm working on a very special trade to get one of my Rainbow Dash toys with a show accurate mane and tail, and I'm very excited about it. I also have both the Wedding Castle and the Crystal Princess pony set.... I traded the Castle Cadence for the Crystal Cadence, because my first Cadence was messed up; her wings weren't properly set, and their big base thing sticks out above the line of her back. My new Cadence does not have this problem, so she stands next to Shining Armor.
My 3DS Friend Code (Playing Pokemon Moon): 2938-6334-2129

Offline zzzova

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 12:55:04 AM »
I have a few ponies that i would luke to upgrade, i just havnt gotten around doing it yet.
I would sell the poorer one since im not all thar in to duplicates unless i want to atart an army.  :)

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2013, 01:04:29 AM »
The only ponies I will not upgrade are my first three childhood ponies. Anyone else is fair game!

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2013, 01:53:25 PM »
The only ponies, bar one, on my want list at the moment are upgrades for ponies I currently have in my collection. I will admit that some times I keep the original if I purchase an upgrade but more often than not I do simply cycle them on. I am a fussy collector - like kiwimlp anyone who needs to be upgraded will be if I find a better one.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal