collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Calling all people who work in IT!  (Read 1255 times)

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
Calling all people who work in IT!
« on: April 19, 2013, 12:59:13 PM »
For a while, I've been trying to get myself out of the minimum wage slop-hole I've been stuck in since I was 19 (23 now).  I've completed my Associate's programme (Criminal Justice) and am just awaiting acceptance into my Bachelor's programme.  Things haven't been...not great at my current job and I'm desperate to get out of there and find something more professional.

I'm a computer geek and have been since I was little.  I maintain my computers, parents' computer, my friends' computers as well as build them.  I'd love a job in the IT department of maybe a hospital, library, or school.  This is where all you IT people reading this come in.  What do I need in order to land a job like this?  Do I have to have a degree in computer science?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: Calling all people who work in IT!
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 01:14:15 PM »
I think it might depend on where you apply.  I live in the Silicon Valley, and the vast majority of people I know either in IT or who directly work for computer companies and related industries have their degrees in engineering or computer science, and many of those are at a Master's or PhD level.  But I do have a friend who just left Apple to work for Twitter, and he never finished college.

Bottom line, I don't think it could hurt, but maybe you can look up job openings to see what kinds of applicants they are looking for.  Or maybe talk to some people in the areas you want to work and see what their backgrounds are.

And my husband grew up building and restoring computers with his dad, but he now works as a technical artist for Sledgehammer (which is one of the studios contracted out by Activision to make Call of Duty).  He got his degree in 3D art, but knowing the progamming and technical side of things has helped him in career immensely.

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
Off topic, but you just reminded me that there's a Google office here. o.o  Hmm...

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 02:19:31 PM »
Most of my IT friends never finished college, but at least have some higher education experience in their fields.  Computer science or engineering would be the way to go.  All things considered, when getting a job, a degree looks better on paper, unless you have experience.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 02:23:12 PM »
Most of my IT friends never finished college, but at least have some higher education experience in their fields.  Computer science or engineering would be the way to go.  All things considered, when getting a job, a degree looks better on paper, unless you have experience.

I have a degree, just not in this particular field.  I'm...self-taught, I guess. o.o

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »

I have a degree, just not in this particular field.  I'm...self-taught, I guess. o.o

Make sure that in resumes you cite real-world experience working with it.  They'll ask you to death at interviews.  I don't know much else about breaking into it.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:37 PM »

Make sure that in resumes you cite real-world experience working with it.  They'll ask you to death at interviews.  I don't know much else about breaking into it.

Oh, I plan on it.  I plan on showing them that I have the know-how, just not the degree.

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
Off topic, but you just reminded me that there's a Google office here. o.o  Hmm...

Google has the reputation of being degree AND school snobs when they hire - just a little FYI.  But things might be different at their satellite offices rather than at their HQ (which is where a few of my friends work).

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 06:59:30 PM »
Looks like you've gotten a few suggestions. I hope it helps!

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2013, 08:03:54 PM »

Google has the reputation of being degree AND school snobs when they hire - just a little FYI.  But things might be different at their satellite offices rather than at their HQ (which is where a few of my friends work).

Looking at their job postings at the one near me.  A good many of them only require that you possess certain skills.  I'm going to keep them in mind...

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 09:05:30 AM »
Do your research.  If you OVERQUALIFY, they wont take you 9/10 times.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 12:20:46 PM »
Do your research.  If you OVERQUALIFY, they wont take you 9/10 times.

Yeesh!  o.o  Thanks for the heads-up!

Thanks for the advice so far, guys!  I'm still looking around right now...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal