collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Variety of G4s  (Read 1133 times)

Offline fireglides

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Crazy Scottie Lady
    • View Profile
Variety of G4s
« on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
So, I was wondering . . . Why do you think Hasbro hasn't created a ton of different G4 brushable characters like they did with other generations? G4 is cute (I don't have any myself yet, though), but there seems to be quite a bit of redundancy. There are definitely enough in the FiM series or even other random ones they could make. Do you think it's still early and large waves of brushables are coming?

The more the merrier, I say!  :biggrin:

What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:07:15 PM by fireglides »
:good: Selling my collection -  take a peek! :nerdy:
   500 ponies - G1, G2, G3, G4 - includes Mail Orders, Comic Con, etc.

Includes other 80s items with more coming soon...

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
Re: Variety of G4s
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 03:58:35 PM »
I think it's sadly very unlikely, especially since the most variety goes to the Blind Bags. There's a lot of characters there that have never released as G4 Brushables.

As to why that's the case ... I imagine Blind Bags are cheaper to make. Sigh.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 04:07:17 PM »
They used to, more than they do now... it's possible the non-mane-six ponies (Lily Blossom, Plumsweet, Dewdrop Dazzle, and so on) just never sold as well as the mane six did, so they stopped? Idk. We'll just have to see how Sunset Shimmer works out.

Offline disturbed-rainbow

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
  • I love toys
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 04:10:06 PM »
I get that they have tons of kiosk characters but I would love more brushables, rather!

<3 I'd love it if they made more of the G3 characters :D I would love more G1 characters but Hasbro had said something to the fact that they don't own those characters anymore and wouldn't want to deal with copyright or something.

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 04:25:47 PM »
I have also wondered the same thing. It could be cause parents do not want to spend a lot of money on ponies. I am not sure? I with they would make more though cause I would buy them :) 

Offline Like A Tea Spoon

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Dazzle Surprise
  • Yellow Pony Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 04:28:00 PM »
It's no secret, G4 is a LOT of recolored mane six pony bases, especially in blind bag figures and brushables. G3's came in tons of poses. G1 and G2 not so much.
Avvie By Watercolors

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Trade Count: (+221)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 06:10:39 PM »
At the end of the day, Hasbro are doing nothing different now than we saw them do at the end of G3 and throughout G3.5 - a core of characters who are just released in a variety of different ways, changed appearance, different accessories, etc. In fact we have been a little more lucky in G4 as there has at least been some unique characters. I am assuming this strategy worked for them financially and commercially before, otherwise why reintroduce the same concept.

As to the why...I think Hasbro have judged it thus [beware some generalisations below]:
1) Toy line sells best to their core little girl market, it makes most sense to always have available the core characters these little girls will identify with through the cartoon. Plus why not put that Pinkie and Dash a little girl wants in an more expensive accessory pack and get some parent pester power to move the units.
2) Merch sells best to bronies - keep churning out those licenses to make the most weird and wonderful merch for bronies to purhcase
3) Satisfy adult collectors and brony cries for "new characters" and "show accurate" with an ongoing ponyville/blind bag sized range of characters.

So all in...I think we see limited characters because Hasbro dont see a need or a market for them - they can derive the profits they want by simply keeping the main 6 on the market. The great thing about Twilight becoming a Princess is that she cant be released in the Playful ponies range any more so we should get at least one new character with each wave.
Thank you Matcha for my gorgeous Baby Fifi avi :hug:
Loa is my love god!
I love Loa more than PonyLady!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »
I've read that with toys in general, kids are not as interested as they are in electronic game and media devices.   They're buying fewer toys and have less of an interest in "collecting them all".  This is a trend that covers all of the toy market.  Hasbro and all the other toy companies are hurting.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 12:26:30 AM »
I think it's because they only have one factory in China now instead of many factories all over the world like they did with G1, and to save money.

Offline blonde2themax

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 12:43:39 AM »
I personally feel the disappointed with hasbro again. It is true that they can still make lots of money remarketing the same ponies. I have finally decided to cut back on my g4 spending.
Thanks Shenanigans for my sig & Sirithfin for my profile pic :D!
My Sales Page :D!http://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,319444.msg580218.html#msg580218
My G3 and Season Swap Wishlisthttp://mlparena.com/mlp/index.php/topic,327117.new.html#new

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 05:43:18 AM »
I think it's because they only have one factory in China now instead of many factories all over the world like they did with G1, and to save money.

They actually have three main factories and several subsidiary suppliers which they out source to in China. Hasbro uses third party suppliers for just about all their production. Its not actually changed too much in quantity of suppliers since the 80s. :)
Loa is my love god!

Offline Lucky_Ladybug

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters and 5Ds forever!
    • View Profile
    • Lucky Ladybug's Library
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:06:47 AM »
The great thing about Twilight becoming a Princess is that she cant be released in the Playful ponies range any more so we should get at least one new character with each wave.

I don't get, though, why Twilight can't still be released as a Playful Pony, as long as she's the same size as her friends on the show. They could use the Pegasus body and a Unicorn head.

Offline Violet CLM

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sunset Shimmer did nothing wrong
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:17 AM »

majikarte

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2013, 09:33:20 AM »
It bothers me a lot how if I go to a store and look at the ponies, it's pretty much all Mane Six, and maybe some princesses, but if you look at Littlest Pet Shop, there is plenty of variety, show characters and random ones too? I mean, LPS certainly doesn't have any fandom that is equivalent to Bronies, but other than that, they're pretty similar lines; colourful animal toys for girls... I guess it's the popularity of the show making most of the difference, but it still doesn't seem right.

Offline hathorcat

• All About Accessories
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
  • Loa's little succulent
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2013, 09:35:25 AM »
The great thing about Twilight becoming a Princess is that she cant be released in the Playful ponies range any more so we should get at least one new character with each wave.

I don't get, though, why Twilight can't still be released as a Playful Pony, as long as she's the same size as her friends on the show. They could use the Pegasus body and a Unicorn head.

Because she isn't going to be the same size as her friends when in toy form and even in the show [at least in the finale] she looks as though she is a little larger. She is going to be in the same mould and size as Cadance and Luna. They have already confirmed her release in this size in 2 different new toys coming soon. I know its possible they could release her as they did the small Luna but that set seems to have been a flop and no doubt there would be complaints that she wasnt show accurate. I would be reasonable sure we wont see her in a playful size again. 
Loa is my love god!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal