collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!  (Read 1868 times)

Offline saply

• Stupid Newbie
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+138)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • my star barrettes are FABULOUS
    • View Profile
    • ~*~tumblr~**~
Re: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2013, 10:51:50 AM »
It doesn't have to be a big collection, or even a 'collection' at all! I think I only have 4 dolls now, because at some point I realized that if I want to look at pretty dolls, I can always live vicariously through the great photos on the Arena n_n

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2013, 11:19:17 AM »
It doesn't have to be a big collection, or even a 'collection' at all! I think I only have 4 dolls now, because at some point I realized that if I want to look at pretty dolls, I can always live vicariously through the great photos on the Arena n_n

Haha true!  Maybe I'll just get Skelita for now and see what happens...  :lookround: oh dear :lookround:

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:58 AM »
Remeeember! Wait and look again. It really does help with not over buying.
He who serves two masters lies to one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline Bow Tie

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Lady in Blue
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 11:52:02 AM »
Definitely set a limit. Be it a number limit or character limit.

I started collecting around this time 2 years ago and I'm now at about 70 dolls give or take a few. I don't have a lot of space now, but I've set a limit for myself to cut down. I'm sticking with two of each Lagoona (one MIB, one loose), one of each Cleo (with the exception of SO Cleo. I have two), all the Deuces and Gils and then one of each unique character. For example, I have SO Draculaura and SS Draculaura. I am selling SO Draculaura so I only have one Draculaura. If another Draculaura comes along that I love more than SS Draculaura, I have to sell her in order to get the new Draculaura. Same goes with all the other characters outside of Lagoona, Cleo, Gil and Deuce.
-Bow Tie

Thank you Lord Blumiere and Nence for my adorable adopts! :heart:

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »
I feel like starting now, I'm so far behind it would be hard to catch up and/or pay decent prices for releases I've missed.  I am envious of everyone who already has a nice collection going!

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 12:34:22 PM »
I think I won? Because I got into the dolls when 2.0 was out, and 1.0 was still around. I never got any of them though, and I'm still okay with that because I didn't really like any of the 1st editions. Well, except deuce, but I reeally don't like Sig Cleo.
He who serves two masters lies to one.

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 12:38:56 PM »
I think I won? Because I got into the dolls when 2.0 was out, and 1.0 was still around. I never got any of them though, and I'm still okay with that because I didn't really like any of the 1st editions. Well, except deuce, but I reeally don't like Sig Cleo.

Yeah a lot of the main characters I'm not that crazy about aside from Frankie.  Looking on eBay the prices of MIB dolls don't actually seem too bad when sold in lots.  I just need to find one that has all characters I actually want: Venus, Robecca and Rochelle!

Pony_Mommy

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 02:11:52 PM »
Venus, Robecca, and Rochelle can all still be found in some stores. But are for the most part still phasing out.

Shahaila

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2013, 07:03:26 AM »
I feel like starting now, I'm so far behind it would be hard to catch up and/or pay decent prices for releases I've missed.  I am envious of everyone who already has a nice collection going!
If you want to start a collection you could start with the Scaris dolls which are in stores now.  Overall the line has some of the prettiest dolls and has a lot of MH characters and Skelita is part of that line and you know you want her.  Not to mention you could get the car and cafe to display with them  :lol:.  If you decide to go that route some are starting to get a little hard to find (but are still in stores) at least where I am Skelita, Jenifire and Rochelle are not as abundant as they use to be.  Deuce and Catrine have been rare finds here all along.  The signle pack Scaris dolls are everywhere and selling at Target for $10 this week.  Just a thought  :P

Dorriebelle

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2013, 07:25:38 AM »
It's so easy to get caught up in Mattel and everyone's enthusiasm and over-buy. I should know, I've done it since the dolls first came out ! Went from 'gotta get 'em all' when there were only eleven dolls to easing back in 2011 before finally putting the brakes on just last year. Then we moved to a much smaller place, and, well, available space soon let me know which ones I adored and which ones I kinda 'had'. I think money and space determine most of our collections, and it's actually to your benefit, coming in later. You've seen what Mattel can do, has done, and soon will do with MH, and can shop and plot accordingly !

Since I have my Grails already, I can relax and enjoy. But it's harder when everything's new and there's so much of it ! Still, when a $20. doll can make you happy for three years, inspire you to your best creative efforts (sewing, drawing, writing, customizing, photographing) ever, and allow you to meet the awesome ponies here, I think it's a pretty good investment !

Try to just buy who/what you love, and ignore the 'wanna' pangs as best you can. I try to sew or write when those hit. Doesn't always work - see the Scaris Cleo & Lagoona on my desk - but I've had great luck trading, and there's a SDCC bag fulla clothes ready to go when I wanna play. It does help that my home is in a doll desert, and tends to be dead last to get the new stuff - by the time half of it's available, I don't want it anymore !  :lol:

I hope to hear of your first purchase soon, and welcome you to the great shambling fan herd !

faunabay

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2013, 09:47:29 AM »
I just started collecting about 3 months ago.  I did get my first doll as a birthday present last July but she was my only one until about 3 months ago. So that's when I start my collecting timer.   :P  But I've been able to find just about every doll I truely wanted for decent prices (barring a couple here or there).....even the older sig ones.  Just keep an eye on ebay and the trading/sales forum here. 
I do only buy the ones I really think I'll love.  I don't try and be a completionist with any.  Just buy the ones I truely want.  And I'm pretty well caught up and am, for the most part, just waiting for the newer ones to come out.  There's a couple I'd still like to find.....sig Ghoulia! is one  :biggrin: ......but I"m not going to pay an outrageous amount to get her.  I'm holding out hope she'll be rereleased! 
So don't feel like you're sooooo far behind you'll never catch up.  I have and again have not been collecting them for very long.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 09:49:56 AM by faunabay »

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Welp, I'm boned.

I picked up Skelita because she was there. Then I saw robecca and Venus at another store and they were the last ones... Blargh!

Haha.

Offline apanda0622

• Trade Count: (+177)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2013, 11:08:58 AM »
If you really want to start collecting MH, only get ONE of each character.  That way your collection will not grow too much or too fast. 

JustHereForPictures

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 11:13:00 AM »
Welp, I'm boned.

I picked up Skelita because she was there. Then I saw robecca and Venus at another store and they were the last ones... Blargh!

Haha.

Totally know how that feels.

I started with Scaris Ghoulia. Picked up Jinafire the next go round. Ordered Robecca and picked up Deuce at the same time.

Then came the big splurge. Werecat twins and Ghouls Rule Frankie. Picked up the Mummy/Gorgon CAM pack for sale price. Just picked up Nefera and the awesome Nana-Rena is picking me up a Jackson Jekyll.

And then I need to stop. Really really stop until Catty Noir (Unless I see Toralei or any of the boys).

Shahaila

« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 01:56:00 PM »
Welp, I'm boned.

Haha.
LOL congratulations!  That is sort of how I picked my Skelita up too, I was like if she is there I will get her if not no big deal .... she was and that is one purchase I could not be happier about.  I hope you enjoy your new Ghouls and welcome to the madness!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal