collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!  (Read 1839 times)

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!
« on: March 31, 2013, 12:03:45 PM »
I have really taken an interest in Minster High dolls since discovering Skelita (whom I really want to own). My problem is that once I get her my OCD for collecting will most definitely kick in. I've already researched previous releases and there are others in the line that I really like too.

So I'm sure other people can relate to this issue: collecting. I've been collecting G4 ponies and I'm happy with my collection. I have collections of other things too and I'm afraid to start with MH.

Any advice? Tips? Reassurances? Lol

Edit: Soooo I bought Skelita, Sig Robecca and Venus... aaaand I think they're amazing!  I've read that people say they are better out of their box and I agree 100%.  My boyfriend likes them too... He wants me to get Abbey and Lagoona... haha
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 10:56:39 AM by joey »

JustHereForPictures

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 12:14:17 PM »
I...um...yeah.

I've only been collecting for nearly 3 weeks.

I already have nine of them (although four of them did come in two sets of two).

Offline Jinxxy

• Trade Count: (+96)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Fancy Rats, Fursuiting and Neon green ponies!
    • View Profile
    • http://mlparena.com!!!
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 12:18:42 PM »
I limited myself to no more than 6 dolls. Since I am getting rid of 90 percent of my g3 collection and 50 percent of my G1s (to save space) I figure that having that amount is okay.

Just set some limit for yourself and stick to it no matter what (sell a doll to keep a doll kinda thing) if you are worried about going crazy with it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 Also seeking QBs Hat, 2017 easter egg RD

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 12:21:34 PM »
I...um...yeah.

I've only been collecting for nearly 3 weeks.

I already have nine of them (although four of them did come in two sets of two).

See that would be me lol

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
Yay for being interested in MH dolls! :D

If you're afraid of going a bit bonkers on collecting them, what you could do is set a "collecting limit" for yourself. Such as only collecting a particular character, one doll every [insert amount of time here], ect.
For myself, I try to limit myself to one doll per character unless it was part of a set/pack (which I usually end up selling the extra dolls), a gift from family/friends, or if it stays in the box. However, I did "break" that rule since I have two Frankie Steins (I blame Black Friday for re-releasing Classroom Frankie, my favorite Frankie of her). xD
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:27:20 PM by MilkyTaroMochi »
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 12:22:57 PM »
Maybe just pick ONE release of each ghoul.  Limit yourself to only one Draculaura, one Frankie, etc.  That way you don't end up with so many dolls.

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 12:24:42 PM »
Honestly if you have the room, funds, and sanity for it, I say jump on in! I can't really give you any advice on self control considering I have 39 of the things, but maybe you could set a cap for the collection? I mean, being a monster high completionist is near impossible considering there are more than one hundred releases already and the line shows no sign of stopping, and on top of that some dolls have inflated to over one hundred dollars a pop!

Refuse to Dance

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:28:55 PM »
I've got nearly 40 dolls but I'm very picky. There are many of us who have at least 100.

theamazingfetus

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
When it comes to limiting my collection, I've promised myself that I will buy one doll of each character. If I want a new doll of the same character, I push myself to customize that doll into a different character. Example: I have Draculaura classic and Draculaura sweet 1600, but I customized the 1600 one to look a bit older, changed her makeup a bit, and re-did her hair then re-named her Jillian.

That way, if you feel the pressure to buy 68686 ghoulia's, you'll in the very least be put off by the fact that you now have to spend a few extra hours modding them.

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 12:35:00 PM »
Maybe just pick ONE release of each ghoul.  Limit yourself to only one Draculaura, one Frankie, etc.  That way you don't end up with so many dolls.

Thankfully I am the type of collector that only needs one of each character. I'm that way with ponies.

How many MH single characters are there? It still seems like a lot.

Offline ivybunny84

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
    • Sisters of the Moon Design
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 12:40:50 PM »
I started in Nov with 1 in box doll... my mistake.... I now have over 60 in box and 29 out of box (that's including the create a monsters as well) and there are more on the way and more i want.  For some reason, they are very, very addicting....   watch out, choose wisely and watch your pocket cause your money goes fast lol

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 12:51:09 PM »
Thankfully I am the type of collector that only needs one of each character. I'm that way with ponies.

Off the top of my head I wanna say around 30 - 35+ individual characters, including ones that haven't been officially released yet (Heath, Wydona [hopefully], Catty, ect.). A bit more than that if you wanna count the individual Create a Monster dolls as a character themselves.
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2013, 01:31:50 PM »

Off the top of my head I wanna say around 30 - 35+ individual characters, including ones that haven't been officially released yet (Heath, Wydona [hopefully], Catty, ect.). A bit more than that if you wanna count the individual Create a Monster dolls as a character themselves.

That's a lot! Haha but I definitely don't love them all. They are also super expensive here in Canada I've noticed!

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2013, 01:36:21 PM »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

This is part of my collection, showing every unique character doll that had been released prior to the Scaris line coming out. They're almost all Signature dolls, meaning they're (usually) the first doll of their character that was released, wearing the same clothes and styled in the same way that they normally look in the webisodes. The exception is Gil Webber, since he's only been released in a bathing suit line (Skull Shores) so far.

Gil is really expensive because he was only available for a short time, but he's coming out again this year in a multi-pack of the dance class line. Scarah and Hoodude were SDCC dolls, and thus are also very expensive, but another Scarah (who looks even better than this one) is coming out later this year as well.

Since I took the picture, they've released three new characters: Jinafire, Skelita, and Catrine (all from the Scaris line).

And several more are being released: Heath Burns, Gigi Grant, and Twyla for sure, probably Headless Headmistress Bloodgood, and perhaps Catty Noir (as a Friday the 13th release) and Wydowna (as the SDCC release).

And yes, none of the Create-a-Monster dolls are pictured, though they're all unique dolls as well, they're just not as elaborately styled or fleshed out character-wise, and some of them don't have entirely matching parts available for them.

Offline tuneful87

• Shmexy Stallion
  • Trade Count: (+94)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 02:26:42 PM »
I started collecting MH at the end of 2011. Just one Frankie, I said to myself. That's all I want; that'll be enough to satisfy my interest in these fascinating monster toys. Now it's the beginning of 2013 and I probably have close to 70...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal