collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!  (Read 1837 times)

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Advice: I'm worried about starting a new collection!
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2013, 02:29:47 PM »
I unfortunately am NOT one of those people who can get just ONE of each character...I love the individuality of each doll (sometimes so much that I end up with multiples just because I like it sooo much.. I have 132 loose dolls (some of which are duplicates BUT they are redressed in the fashion packs... So I feel it makes them individualized...) I also have 122 MIB (by box)... But if you count the MIB (by doll) I really have 149... Lol...

But if you are really worried about it.. Set that limit and you should be fine... And if you find yourself not sticking to it... Either sell the extras OR customize like someone else said... That way they are "not" the same XD

Offline joey

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2013, 06:46:31 PM »
Oh dear I'm gonna get myself into trouble lol

Offline mejohnson85

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2013, 08:11:59 PM »
Yea I said I was only going to get a MIB wave 1 clawdeen... Yup.. And now look where I am XD

Offline Sprinkles

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2013, 08:12:30 PM »
Here is what I've learned from collecting Mh for the past six months:

There is no resisting and it is EXTREMELY difficult to stick to any rules you might make for yourself.

My advice? Give in now and enjoy the dollies :) Oh and make sure you take care of important things first. That way you don't get any financial issues :)
Pony want list | Doll want list | Starlight's Reference
Thank you TornadoTwist for my avatar :)

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2013, 08:21:17 PM »
Here is what I've learned from collecting Mh for the past six months:

There is no resisting and it is EXTREMELY difficult to stick to any rules you might make for yourself.

My advice? Give in now and enjoy the dollies :) Oh and make sure you take care of important things first. That way you don't get any financial issues :)

Haha that seems about right!

Offline SwordPony

• Trade Count: (+271)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2013, 08:29:27 PM »
I use to have a rather large collection but I didn't love some of them. I now have a rule where I will have no more then 10 at any given time. I just don't have the room for a huge collection and I don't want one. I personal put a cap on it because I was spending way to much and just not loving the dolls I had. It is possible to have a smaller collection. Self control can go a long way. There are only 2 girls I want this year the genie girl Twyla and Scarah.  The rest I can truly live without.

lupachiotta

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2013, 08:48:57 PM »
Seriously, do what you love. I have several collections as well and just picked up MH last year. I had this idea in my head that I was going to collect every Draculaura doll but then this year I decided I wasn't in love with every LaLa doll, I was just on a rampage. So now I am just collecting what FEW i love to death and selling a large amount of my LaLa dolls that I don't love. Keeping my favorite three and several other character dolls that I love. I'm telling myself unless they come out with another character that I just HAVE to have (like i had to have Skelita) or a version of Lala I just ADORE I will not add dolls unless I am customizing to sell eventually.

faunabay

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2013, 09:24:25 PM »
I do that too lupa.  I just buy the ones I love!  Now there's quite a few I love.   :blush: :P   But there's alot more I don't love and am able to pass on buying.  I have about 50 dolls and yes there are some newer ones coming out that I'll buy but there's also some of them I will be passing on.  So the only personal limit I put on my doll buying is to make sure I really want it and really love it. 

I only have 3 or 4 of them I've bought that I let something else drive my buying.  One is the SO Clawdeen.  I bought her because I knew she was pretty hard to find anymore.  But once I got her home I didn't feel the need to keep  her.   So she's sitting there in her box waiting for me to put her up for trade or sale.   :biggrin:  The other one was Catrine.  She came out right after I found this forum and everyone was so excited when she started showing up in stores.  I got caught up in that.   :blush:   While I like her I don't love her like I do my other dolls.  But I did see a custom of her with white hair and now want to do that.  Loved it!! 

Offline MilkyTaroMochi

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Ivy is best pony. <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2013, 10:03:42 PM »
There are a few dolls in my collection that I am not in love with. But a part of me is afraid of selling any of those in case I would want them back later. ;_;
And as far as the future releases go, I'm really only interested in a few of the new character dolls. I'm not sure if that's because I gave myself a doll limit or because I really don't have much an interest in a them. xD
Thank you so much for the adoptable, Corona! :D

Offline joey

• Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2013, 10:26:11 PM »
There are a few dolls in my collection that I am not in love with. But a part of me is afraid of selling any of those in case I would want them back later. ;_;
And as far as the future releases go, I'm really only interested in a few of the new character dolls. I'm not sure if that's because I gave myself a doll limit or because I really don't have much an interest in a them. xD

Ugh that's the psychology behind collecting I guess. I already see previous releases like Nefera, robecca and Venus being hiked up and I kind of liked them and now wish I bought them when I had the chance. So now that Skelita and Jinafire are out, I want to get Skelita for sure but I don't love Jinafire. I'm afraid ill regret not getting her later though lol.

Oh dear.

Offline DoomBunnies

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://drefankearse.deviantart.com/
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2013, 10:30:48 PM »
I made no real commitments when I started getting dolls, and was surprised when I liked more than one. Once you start, there really is a strong AAA SOOO COOOL WANT MOOORE! Drive. What helps with that, at least for me, is to pause when you like a doll, look it over carefully, and unless you know it's rarer (like a boy doll) or you instantly love it to death and it's not wonky eyed, then set it down and come back later. If you still want it after a week or two, then get it then. It worked for the Ghoul's Rule line for me; I really liked them, but after watching them a few weeks I decided I didn't need them.
He who serves two masters lies to one.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

It was when you found out you could make mistakes that you knew you were on to something.

Pony_Mommy

« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2013, 06:30:20 AM »
I set a one doll per character limit for myself and have been sticking to it. There are some characters that I am not super crazy about but the completionist in me won't let me leave them out. CAM monsters I pick and choose which I like and will get as well as with the boys. Certain boys do nothing for me so unless I found them super cheap at a flea market and got them just for completion sake I don't need all of the boys either.

Shahaila

« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2013, 07:07:04 AM »
I have really taken an interest in Minster High dolls since discovering Skelita (whom I really want to own). My problem is that once I get her my OCD for collecting will most definitely kick in. I've already researched previous releases and there are others in the line that I really like too.

Any advice? Tips? Reassurances? Lol
Oh dear, I can relate LOL.  When the madness started my limit was I would only collect the Ghoulias as she is my favorite.  I did pretty good for about 9 months (that is incredibly long for me if you knew me) until Venus was released and my love for the Roller Maze line got the best of me.  Venus was gifted to me for X-mas by a dear friend (Faunabay) and well the entire Roller Maze line followed shortly after.  Now I am adding other dolls that I love and am up to 25 dolls I believe (soon to be 26).  Three of those I don't love and could easily live without, but one was gifted so I cannot get rid of her, one I might customize, the other I will sell or trade.

In my opinion, the Scaris line has many many of the MH characters, and some of the prettiest dolls in a single line I have seen.  The line is also relatively new so the dolls are at accessible prices.  If you want to limit yourself, then perhaps you can set yourself a boundary of getting Scaris dolls (there are several of these in the economy line/slim boxes) plus one Venus.   Just an idea ....

As for Skelita, if you have been thinking about her for a while get her.  I do not think you will regret it and she has a unique skeletal mold that really differentiates her from the other MH dolls thus far.  I was on the fence about her for a while and finally got her and I have ended up loving that doll way more than I ever thought I would.  She looks awsome in just about anything you put on her and is quite fun to play with (as in changing her outfits and such).  If you regret getting her maybe you and I can work out a trade and I will take her off your hands LOL.  :lol:

Offline mejohnson85

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2013, 07:26:06 AM »
My biggest problem is the wait... I have some money coming my way soon... But with all the talk of upcoming releases... I am super nervous that I am going to miss out on some doll and since I am a conpletionist I will be getting 2 of each of the newer releases (obviously when I can...)... Sooo it sometimes sucks being a conpletionist... Especially if your on a budget...

elonni

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »
I got my first doll as a Christmas present (a sig Rochelle) and I officially started collecting in January. Now I have close to 30 dolls. I try to keep to one doll per character mostly, but that has flown out the window a few times this last month. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal