collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What other languages do you speak?  (Read 4024 times)

Bugle

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: What other languages do you speak?
« Reply #30 on: March 31, 2013, 05:18:40 PM »
I forgot all about Latin! I loved speaking Latin in secondary school - especially considering only me and Alfie were interested (my crush - proper dreamy - and no that is not why I was interested :P)

Offline Roccoriel

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2013, 07:42:00 PM »
I'm conversational (but make beginner grammatical errors) in French.  My fiance is French, and I can have conversations with him, but I am too timid to speak to his family.  Plus, they are so sweet and always switch to English, even if I'm trying to speak French with them, because they know it's easier for me. 

I took Spanish in high school, and though it's been (holy moly) 9 years since I graduated, I can still read it.  I need to spruce up my Spanish, though, as we're going to Costa Rica for our Honeymoon and it might be nice to be able to speak a little if I need to!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline hannaliten

• Trade Count: (+292)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2013, 10:28:02 PM »
I'm fluent in Swedish, since I was born and raised there. I speak/write/read English well enough, and I used to be fluent in German as well. Now it's a bit rusty because I never use it, but it would be pretty easy to get back if I went there. I can converse in Spanish (a few years of Spanish in high school and an ex-husband from Colombia).

Offline hilamb

• Myrskyisä yö poni
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2013, 12:37:46 AM »
I can talk finnish, english, swedish ( im just rusty at it ) little bit german  and im learning japanese.  :P

Thank you :heart:

Offline Nana-Rena

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Target Exclusive Winter Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »
I speak:

- geek/nerd
- pony
- bunny

.... LOL!

Just English for me, I know a tiny bit of German, and whatever school French is still floating around.

Where can I learn Pony and Bunny? Teach me master! :)

I speak my native language Finnish, the obligatory Swedish, which I speak okay, I understand more than I produce because I don't use it regularly. German, I read it since the third grade in school, English, which I majored in at the university, French, which I am horrible at, Korean, just so and so, I understand more than I produce and Mandarin Chinese which I used to be decent at, but now after a few years of not using it much it's beginning to deteriorate. I should work on it more actually.

Post Merge: April 01, 2013, 01:36:07 AM

I took a year of Japanese in college. I seriously wanted to pursue it but everyone discouraged me from it. I wish I hadn't listened. :/

I don't mean to be nosy, but why did people discourage you from learning a language? Japanese is very useful to know if you work in an international firm for example. I would think it would be a good merit to have.

If you still want to pursue it, it's never too late to learn a new language. It's also lots of fun!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 01:36:07 AM by Nana-Rena »

Offline Saoirse

• Trade Count: (+75)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Part time collector, Full time addict!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2013, 02:56:45 AM »
English (obviously), Irish (Gaelic) and French, though due to not using it I've gone rusty :lol:

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2013, 03:12:18 AM »
english - main, some of welsh , french and bit of klingon and elvish  :lol:
xaflamex
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 03:14:09 AM by Aflame »

Offline sundaygirl

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • So Soft Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2013, 07:28:08 AM »
Swedish is my first language. I can speak and understand English well. And like most swedes, I can understand Norweigian and Danish enough to get by in both countries, I find Norweigian a lot easier though.

Offline Eldarwen

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Ponilaatikko
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2013, 08:12:01 AM »
Well, I can speak finnish because I live in Finland. Most of my family lives in Canada so i've never had a problem with english. And like all the finns, i've studied swedish. Im not fluent in it because I used to slack in school, but I can understand it. I've also studied french and german.

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2013, 04:05:34 PM »
Besides English, I'm fluent in French, Spanish, and Portuguese.  I can also work competently with German, Dutch, Welsh, and Hebrew.  I can read Japanese characters but cannot speak it to save my life!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Mkanke

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2013, 06:29:17 PM »
@Nana-Rena There are plenty of people out there who claim a 'Westerner' can never learn it. Most of these being white Western folks who have never tried. Its pretty bothersome but you just have to learn to ignore them and all is well.

I am a native American English speaker myself but can understand some very basic German due to having a friend from over there and a sister who loves the language.

I also have pretty dang decent reading comprehension in Japanese because a good deal of games I have come to enjoy require me to import them in the native language. I can get by with some basic writing comprehension too but ask me to speak or listen and I will most likely be lost for sure :/

I learn my stuff via the AJATT method myself with a bit of LiveMocha every so often for a change of pace.

Flutterwonder13

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2013, 07:44:56 PM »
Can I ask how you people do it? I've been learning Spanish for years and still flub up basic sentences.

Offline Amsel

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://yuuago.livejournal.com
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2013, 08:41:01 PM »
I'm only fluent in English.

I can understand written French to some degree, because I took several years of it in school, but oh gods don't ask me to write it or speak it....

Right now I'm trying to learn Norwegian. I can understand some spoken Norwegian, and speak it a little, but reading and writing is incredibly hard because I haven't done much of that. So, I'm going to have to concentrate on that more, now. Learning things takes much more time than I really have available, but I'm trying.

Offline kiwimlp

• Intros and Brags Mod
  • *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • I am Negan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2013, 12:26:10 AM »
I can only speak English - and even then I struggle with that at times! 

Offline Buzzingbumblebee

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • Blythe plastic surgeon =^-^=
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2013, 03:04:58 AM »
I'm only fluent in English.

I can understand written French to some degree, because I took several years of it in school, but oh gods don't ask me to write it or speak it....

Right now I'm trying to learn Norwegian. I can understand some spoken Norwegian, and speak it a little, but reading and writing is incredibly hard because I haven't done much of that. So, I'm going to have to concentrate on that more, now. Learning things takes much more time than I really have available, but I'm trying.

Sorry to be nosy, but why do you want to learn norwegian? I think Norwegian can be quite difficult to learn as the grammar is built differently from english. My partner is english and he struggels to learn. But I think he would have a hard time with any new language, some people have more talent for languages.

Norwegian is my birth language, but I am fluent in English as we have to learn it from we are about 9 years old. I can also understand swedish and danish. For me danish is easier to read but requiers more concentration to listen to, while spoken swedish is easier than written. I live in the east part of Norway so Sweden is very close and I have been there often. Also I have worked with lots of swedish people :).

I would love to learn japanese sometime as I love Japan and want to go there. It would be cool to learn some before going. At the moment I have enough on my plate with two young children and trying to save up to be able to buy a house.

Blythe customising blog, commissions open: http://beesdreamland.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal