collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Miss Representation Documentary  (Read 2145 times)

DappleCafe

• Trade Count: (0)
Miss Representation Documentary
« on: March 26, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »
The representation of women in the media has always been a big thing for me and this particular documentary does an AMAZING job of really putting things into perspective.
I realize that for some, feminism can be a polarizing issue but the women in this documentary are from every aspect of the political sphere. The idea here isn't politics, it's women in today's world.
I've shared this on tumblr now that it's online but I wanted to bring it here too in case anyone is interested. I cannot recommend it enough!
http://documentaryheaven.com/miss-representation/
Click on the "close ad and watch as a free user" and then start the video.
There's no downloading and the site is safe. I've checked the page with every program I have.

"Miss Representation covers a glaring reality we live
with every day but fail to see. Written and directed by Jennifer
Siebel Newsom, the film exposes how mainstream media contribute to the
under-representation of women in positions of power and influence in
America. The film challenges the media’s limited and often
disparaging portrayals of women and girls, which make it difficult for
women to achieve leadership positions and for the average woman to
feel powerful herself."

Enjoy! :happy:

kaninchen

Re: Miss Representation Documentary
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »
i love this.

as i once read: "if you're not a feminist you're a masochist"

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2013, 01:58:00 AM »
Thanks. I am so watching this.

EVERY woman should be a feminist! And preferably most men too!
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 10:37:48 AM »
I'm not joining some random site right now, free or not, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for sharing though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
as i once read: "if you're not a feminist you're a masochist"

Yep.

I'm making it a point to watch this later.  Thanks for sharing!

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 01:32:10 PM »
Sounds like something me and my husband would want to check out! Thanks for sharing.
Also, i saw this video yesterday and I think it's really interesting, it's about female protagonists in video games by Jimquizition, i highly recommend it (it's short ^^)

*link deleted*

I honestly can't believe that at this day and age we are still struggling with these issues :S

[link deleted for content - kaoskat]
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 01:49:30 PM by kaoskat »
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

DappleCafe

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 03:31:49 PM »
I'm not joining some random site right now, free or not, so I'll have to pass. Thanks for sharing though.
You don't join anything. :huh: Where did you get that idea?
 It's just free documentaries online. No signing up, nothing.

Post Merge: March 27, 2013, 03:32:30 PM

That's definitely how I feel about it too!

Offline Vintergatan

• Knight of the Ebon Blade
  • Trade Count: (+36)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2013, 06:07:50 PM »

Me too! I get really ticked off when people represent feminism as some extreme stance. Do you want women to have equality in every aspect of their lives? Then you are a feminist! Nothing more and nothing less :) And to be honest, until I saw a couple of videos like these (still haven't checked out your link but definitely will ^^) I really didn't realise just how bas things were still and how many extremely sexist things we take for granted and treat as normal.
~怕眼里月光 会淋湿你的翅膀~

DappleCafe

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2013, 06:35:39 PM »

Me too! I get really ticked off when people represent feminism as some extreme stance. Do you want women to have equality in every aspect of their lives? Then you are a feminist! Nothing more and nothing less :) And to be honest, until I saw a couple of videos like these (still haven't checked out your link but definitely will ^^) I really didn't realise just how bas things were still and how many extremely sexist things we take for granted and treat as normal.
I think it's pretty common for us to sort of not notice. I mean, we've been raised in a society that's one sided. I find myself not noticing and then I'll see something and BOOM, I notice and it's just...whoa.

Offline Wardah

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2013, 07:38:09 PM »
The only part of the feminist movement that bothers me is the (small) part that pushes the idea that the only way to be a feminist is to adopt more masculine habits and that liking traditionally feminine things makes one a bad feminist. I think if a woman (or man cause equality is awesome) wants to like these things and it is freely her choice nobody can say anything.
Seeking Cutie Princess toys by Chap Mei!!

Also seeking brown Novi Stars fakies, and Punzels.

Av by Moonflower.

Offline Kaeldre

• Goa'uld System Lord
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
  • "The best advice I've found is don't look down."
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 07:47:54 PM »
I am so watching this later!

"When someone asks me if I give up, I say 'Not until I'm dead'.  And sometimes not even then." ~ Daniel Jackson
"Asking a Ferengi to play a Cardassian game is like asking a Klingon to chew with his mouth closed." ~ Elim Garak

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 11:08:01 PM »
You don't join anything. :huh: Where did you get that idea?
 It's just free documentaries online. No signing up, nothing.

That's odd..... When I clicked the "close ad and watch as a free user" button and then clicked the play button, it put a little window over it that said something about certain countries not allowing the video so I had to sign up for an account so they'd know where I was? Weird. I'll try it again tomorrow then.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline Whippycorn

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
The only part of the feminist movement that bothers me is the (small) part that pushes the idea that the only way to be a feminist is to adopt more masculine habits and that liking traditionally feminine things makes one a bad feminist...

Wardah, I do not know a single active feminist who thinks like this. This negative idea of feminists is one of the myths perpetuated by the anti-feminist media discussed in the documentary - along with 'feminists hate men', 'feminists are hairy lesbians', 'feminists want to dominate men', 'feminists don't like children or families' etc. Take me, I am an ARDENT feminist, but I love ponies and baking, I'd love to get married and have a child and I almost never wear trousers.  ;)

I think it's pretty common for us to sort of not notice. I mean, we've been raised in a society that's one sided. I find myself not noticing and then I'll see something and BOOM, I notice and it's just...whoa.

The combination of this doc and the Killing Us Softly doc posted in another thread has made me see how really bad what most people are exposed to is. I think I have been largely shielded from the worst of it because I don't have a t.v. and I don't buy women's (or indeed lads') magazines. I think those are the main culprits.

In this documentary I was particularly shocked about the way the US media talk about female politicians. I know the women's magazines and tabloid newspapers here sometimes focus on female politicians dress etc but to talk about wether you want to **** them on national t.v.?!  :mad:
**** ARENA SALES ****

**** EBAY SALES ****

oddish

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:00:01 AM »
I watched this documentary a few months ago and it is definitely eye-opening! Even though I was already aware about the issues discussed, just seeing the examples all laid out like that was something else (even got teary-eyed at some parts). I wish every girl could see this and be made aware of what's being done to them.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 07:30:43 AM »
Part of the worst part of this vicious cycle is that women even listen to "society and its ideals" as it lies to them through marketing, sales, and trends. Then everyone thinks that there IS a problem and behaves like it.  I really, really would like every one, men and women, to stop caring about the floppy bits and get on with life.   You honestly do not need to consume whatever the marketers are telling you to spend money on.  You don't need makeup or nice clothes or perfume to be a "woman".   You actually don't NEED anything to BE anything! 

Want to never wear makeup?  Okay.  Want to look like a clown?  Okay.  Want to wear pants?  Okay.  Want to wear a dress?  Okay.  Want to be a doctor?  Okay.  Want to be a welder?  Okay.  Want to be a nursery school teacher?  Okay.  It shouldn't matter who is doing what ....

IMHO I think society should be discussing the implications of integrating 50% of the population into the existing workforce .  It was a great idea when certain countries were under duress of global war but since then, it has caused a high cost of living ensuring the inflation increases steadily, prices skyrocket, and now it is virtually impossible to sustain a household on less than two incomes.  Plus "think of the children"!  :-p

*runs from thread ducking fakies*
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal