collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: CA Cupid Hair? SUCCESS UPDATE! Also show me your Cupids!  (Read 1258 times)

Jayoen

• Trade Count: (0)
CA Cupid Hair? SUCCESS UPDATE! Also show me your Cupids!
« on: March 23, 2013, 01:58:55 AM »
So I recently ordered a Sig Cupid off Ebay, who should be arriving in just a few days, and from what I have seen, her hair looks like it has just curled ends? If I could, I would really like to style her like in the movie, which is, what appears to be a bunch of curls all over the back of her head? :o Or even like the HD photo of her doll would be nice, I'm not a huge fan of one giant curl though! Or Super gelled down hair for that matter!! LOL

This is more what I'm aiming for
http://tresmarias.tur.br/espera/monster-high-dolls-2012-cupid-843.png
http://i1.squidoocdn.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens19742306_1346499404_a.JPG

Might using the the boiling water, plus ice water work? And then I'll give it a spritz with some hairspray to help keep it in place? Has anyone had luck with this method and waiting for the hair to dry before removing it from the curlers?

Any suggestions are appreciated!

UPDATE

I got Cupid in the mail yesterday, and her box hair was pretty bad, almost no curl at all, so I figured that brushing couldn't hurt!

After a brushing she looked like this!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Today I decided to curl her hair!

After a little fighting with curlers I ended up with this.

One dip in boiling water, then ice water, and then being allowed to dry later!!

Overall I am very happy with how it came out! The only things I wish were different, was that her curls didn't start so high up on her head, and I wish she didn't have the bit of a blank spot on the back of her head. The stray hairs is also something I'll have to work on, but whatever! I do want to fix her heart though, anyone got any ideas? Right now it's just kind of an awkward loop!

Oh well.

All the curls are set very well though, even with much fussing on them they remain. I didn't have to use any kind of hair spray so they aren't sticky at all. In fact, since I gave her a nice shampoo and conditioning to get any gunk out last night, her hair is positively soft and springy and lovely! I love it!

Comments/Questions/Concerns welcome!

I'd also love to see everyone else's Cupids and what they did with them!! :)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2013, 08:52:14 PM by Jayoen »

Offline crimsondeity

• Trade Count: (+32)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: CA Cupid Hair?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 02:15:43 PM »
You should be able to replicate the hair style, for the most part. Sometimes mimicking the exact art/animation is hard, because of how partlines are rooted. Also, her hair is shorted, so be prepared to stop and re-curl; There have been times I've gotten almost entirely around a head and then had to re-do half of them. Of course, I do have boy hands, and my thumbs are stubby, so that might just be me lol.

I wouldn't recommend hairspray; it tends to have a higher alcohol content than a lot of gels/glues on the market, and can make the hair look "crispy". Some people prefer not to use gel at all to maintain the integrity of the hair. However, I do use a cheap mousse or gel from time to time. And one of my friends swears by Bedhead, slightly watered down when she "sets" her curls.

Finally, always leave the curlers in for a few days! My best results have come from about 2 1/2-3 days. Even if you use a hair product in the hair, the curls tend to fall quickly if you take them out too soon. Hope this helps!

Jayoen

Re: CA Cupid Hair?
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 12:11:03 AM »
You should be able to replicate the hair style, for the most part. Sometimes mimicking the exact art/animation is hard, because of how partlines are rooted. Also, her hair is shorted, so be prepared to stop and re-curl; There have been times I've gotten almost entirely around a head and then had to re-do half of them. Of course, I do have boy hands, and my thumbs are stubby, so that might just be me lol.

I wouldn't recommend hairspray; it tends to have a higher alcohol content than a lot of gels/glues on the market, and can make the hair look "crispy". Some people prefer not to use gel at all to maintain the integrity of the hair. However, I do use a cheap mousse or gel from time to time. And one of my friends swears by Bedhead, slightly watered down when she "sets" her curls.

Finally, always leave the curlers in for a few days! My best results have come from about 2 1/2-3 days. Even if you use a hair product in the hair, the curls tend to fall quickly if you take them out too soon. Hope this helps!

Yes it does! Thank you very much! I'd just really like her to have curly hair, instead of flat hair! Haha. I'll be sure to leave her curlers in for at least a day or two! :)

Jayoen

Re: CA Cupid Hair? SUCCESS UPDATE! Also show me your Cupids!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2013, 08:51:14 PM »
BUMPING BECAUSE OF EDITS.

faunabay

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 09:04:55 PM »
She looks very pretty!!  I haven't tried any curling like this yet and am very encouraged that you said they're holding well.   I think you did a great job!!

Jayoen

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2013, 09:13:49 PM »
She looks very pretty!!  I haven't tried any curling like this yet and am very encouraged that you said they're holding well.   I think you did a great job!!

Thank you!
I was afraid I might have to spritz them with some hair spray or something, but nope! If I fuss with them they just sproing back up into place! :) It was very easy!
I would say though that a lot of the videos say to remove the curlers when the hair is cooled, and let air dry, but I think it holds and curls a lot better if you have them stay in the curlers until they're dry!
Otherwise your curls may end up loose and droopy.

jupiternwndrlnd

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:31:00 PM »
her curls look fabulous! she looks very much like the cartoon version :D

Offline FairyDust

• Professor Snape Pony
  • Trade Count: (+47)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 09:51:23 AM »
Oooh, she looks a lot better with the curls done like that.  Maybe you could try to get some wire into her hair loop and shape the wire into a heart.  Do make it still stand up you'd probably either need to leave some of the reshaped wire into the head or try to make a small loop at the base of it and put in a decorative straight pin into her head to hold it up right.

Another idea is to just find a pretty heart shaped piece, attach it to a straight pin, and put it in the middle of the hair loop (no it wouldn't be show accurate but that might be really pretty!).

Collector of Jem and the Holograms, MLP, Kitty Kitty Kittens, and of course Totsy ponies.

Jayoen

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 10:48:34 AM »
her curls look fabulous! she looks very much like the cartoon version :D

Thank you!! I'm glad the fruits of my efforts paid off!

Oooh, she looks a lot better with the curls done like that.  Maybe you could try to get some wire into her hair loop and shape the wire into a heart.  Do make it still stand up you'd probably either need to leave some of the reshaped wire into the head or try to make a small loop at the base of it and put in a decorative straight pin into her head to hold it up right.

Another idea is to just find a pretty heart shaped piece, attach it to a straight pin, and put it in the middle of the hair loop (no it wouldn't be show accurate but that might be really pretty!).

Oh I hadn't thought of wire! I would just worry about it turning her hair green.
I had also thought of maybe just using gel in it? I wouldn't mind if that bit of her hair was a little stiff and gross.

Offline mejohnson85

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 01:35:38 PM »

Oh I hadn't thought of wire! I would just worry about it turning her hair green.
I had also thought of maybe just using gel in it? I wouldn't mind if that bit of her hair was a little stiff and gross.

If you use the metal wire for like bracelets and stuff it shouldnt turn the hair green... and they have silver/bronze and gold... so you could match that way... I just bought some the other day so I am debating about trying it on my cupid as he heart is there but not as there as I would like it to be :D

brittney_rochelle

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 05:10:27 PM »
This is how my Cupid is right now. Mine has shorter hair than everyone else's it seems. I wish she had longer hair!

Jayoen

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 05:14:35 PM »
This is how my Cupid is right now. Mine has shorter hair than everyone else's it seems. I wish she had longer hair!

I believe the sweet 1600 Cupid has shorter hair than sig Cupid, I could be wrong though.

Offline justkitter

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 05:47:04 PM »
Styling my first Cupid was a nightmare!  It was a 1600 Cupid so the hair was covered in gel and had the one curl at the bottom of her hair.  I wanted to wash the gel out and set the curl back in.

I failed, badly!  The curl looked so bad, and the heart got washed out.  There was also a flaw in her vinyl so I just HAD to get another.

The second time around (also a 1600) a wet her hair alittle and ran a comb through it.  The I finger styled the hair the way I liked and let the watered down gel harden back into place.  I left the heart alone this time because I knew I'd never get it back into shape.

I *think* the 1600s have a more defined heart shape than the Sigs.  I'm not sure how I'd make a Sig's heart behave :wonder:  I like the wire idea.  I'd probably try that.
I won't be checking this site anymore for messages.  If you need me, you can contact me at the MHArena :bigups:

Jayoen

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 07:54:59 PM »
Styling my first Cupid was a nightmare!  It was a 1600 Cupid so the hair was covered in gel and had the one curl at the bottom of her hair.  I wanted to wash the gel out and set the curl back in.

I failed, badly!  The curl looked so bad, and the heart got washed out.  There was also a flaw in her vinyl so I just HAD to get another.

The second time around (also a 1600) a wet her hair alittle and ran a comb through it.  The I finger styled the hair the way I liked and let the watered down gel harden back into place.  I left the heart alone this time because I knew I'd never get it back into shape.

I *think* the 1600s have a more defined heart shape than the Sigs.  I'm not sure how I'd make a Sig's heart behave :wonder:  I like the wire idea.  I'd probably try that.

Ack! Glue hair is the worst! So sorry to hear about your first girl! I wish Mattel wouldn't glue some of the Ghoul's hair down. I think I would like Cleo's dolls a lot more, if her hair wasn't constantly formed into one solid mass! I mean, what does that even accomplish? Even short hair should lay flat without much problem.
:/

Glad your second Cupid turned out better though!

Shahaila

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2013, 09:37:11 AM »
The more everyone talks about the glue the more I realize why I have issues with a lot of the dolls with bangs .... I have really wanted to have a Rochelle but each time I have almost bit the bullet and gotten her the bangs drive me nuts and I put her back.  They just look so stiff.  hmmmmmmm did not realize that was a pet peeve of mine until now.  I know I am anal about their hair (I usually do not change their hair styles) but I did not realize how much!  :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal