collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Anyone live in Sacramento? (Or in a city in CA that they love/hate?)  (Read 757 times)

littlekelly4587

• Trade Count: (0)
Long story short, I may have the option to move anywhere in the US for the next Jan-May (spring semester).  My best friend lives in Los Angeles so I'd love to be closer to her and CA has a lot of random stuff I'd love to see/experience. 

Sacramento seems to be the cheapest city that is also dog friendly (or at least their apartments on apartments.com are). 

Anyone live there?  What do you think of it?

Any non-Sacromento-ers.....
I just need a cheap ($500-600 rent) city in CA that's close-ish to Los Angeles and that has a hospital or any other kind of adult rehab place (this would be my last internship to becoming a speech language pathologist).  Suggestions?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone live in Sacramento? (Or in a city in CA that they love/hate?)
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »
Sacramento is not anywhere close to L.A.  It's about a 5 hour drive if you are going really really fast... (I used to drive down to visit my parents once in a while when I lived in San Francisco- which is right next to Sac town-

I would look in L.A. and San Bernardino Counties-  unfortunately, the cheaper rent places are not as nice to live in...  Long Beach is not a bad compromise...

flyawayraven

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 03:33:28 PM »
I'll echo what Galactica said: Sacramento is nowhere near LA, unfortunately. It's at least an hour past me in the Bay Area, and I'm already eight hours out from LA.

Real estate in California, even rentals, is really expensive and my understanding is it gets worse the farther south you go. Anything in the $500-600 range will not be in a particularly savory neighborhood.

Offline Sky_Rocket_Sammie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • "Rules of the road Sammy"-Dean Winchester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
I live in/around West Sac, which is not Sacramento. However Sac is just over the Tower bridge. Rent in Sac itself is not cheap, running anywhere from $700-to over $1,000. It's one of the reasons I live where I do, cheaper rent and small town feel.

Second, I moved up from LA. The two towns are nowhere close to each other, 5-8 hour drive one way. Depending on how fast you drive plus traffic. Rent for me living in Pasadena was at $1,000 for a tiny one bedroom (not including water/power/phone/net). Decent area but not cheap.

Cost of living/renting anywhere in the sate is expensive and I'm born and raised here (originally down south San Diego). Unless you settle into one of the rural (which West Sac is part of) counties, expect to pay.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Avi by Gizmo & Sig by Moonbreeze

Offline kaoskat

• Trade Count: (+224)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Happy & Odd OT & Customs Mod
    • View Profile
    • kaoskat's Customs FB page
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 05:17:27 PM »
Never been to CA.

kaoskat's Customs FB Page, please like!Commissions open & custom trades OPEN!
kaoskat's Sales :hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster::hamster:

Offline ashes

• Forever Orange Site Mod
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 06:20:52 PM »
I've lived in the Bay Area of Northern CA all my life (Cupertino to be exact - and I still live here because I love it!).  But rent in Cupertino is ridiculously high (due to awesome schools and close proximity to jobs).  Our rent in a modest 3-bedroom house is $2250, and that's actually a bargain.  Most comparable rentals would be close to $3000.  Even 1-bedroom apartments in Cupertino would be well over $1000.

Too be honest, to me Sacramento is a bit ho-hum. 

Gilroy is more affordable, but still, it's not near Los Angeles (it's about an hour south of me).

My parents own a house in Westwood (close to UCLA and Beverly Hills), and the rent on that place is over $3000 per month.  And it's only 2-bedrooms.  But the location is awesome, and it's a quiet, nice neighborhood.

More affordable places in the LA area include Silver Lake and Echo Park.  But they aren't exactly the best neighborhoods.  Still, my sister-in-law lived in Echo Park for nearly 6 years, and she never had any incidents.

Another affordable option is to try and have roommates - at least then you can split the cost of rent and utilities.

Where exactly in the LA area does your friend live?  That would help narrow down the search quite a bit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 06:22:57 PM by ashes »

thanks to jupi for my avi and harvestmoongirl for my siggy!

Check out my website: artbyashes.com

Offline Corona

• Eohippus Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Japanifornia Attorney Spokespony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 09:37:54 AM »
Second, I moved up from LA. The two towns are nowhere close to each other, 5-8 hour drive one way. Depending on how fast you drive plus traffic. Rent for me living in Pasadena was at $1,000 for a tiny one bedroom (not including water/power/phone/net). Decent area but not cheap.
I live in Pasadena (hopefully moving to Altadena) and it's a great city but yeah, it's far from cheap. On my LA apartment hunt I was trying to stay close to Little Tokyo and there was nothing below $1,000.

My cousin lives in Silver Lake and while it's kinda sketch it is affordable if you get a roommate. Unfortunately SoCal is pretty pricey unless you move to the sketch places. Altadena and Glendale my be options if you stay away from La Canada Flintridge, you need a big salary to live there.

Duster reference]

littlekelly4587

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 02:25:12 PM »
My friend works the night shift at a credit card company so we weren't hoping for "close" as in "let's get lunch" but more of a "long weekend do-able."  Her only free time is mid-day and that's when I'd be "working" so we wouldn't be able to do anything during the week even if I lived right next door to her.  :-/

Ashes/Corona, my best friend used to live in Pasadena but now they're in Alhambra. 

All I need is cheap rent and a hospital.  Why is this so hard to find in Cali?  :(

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 01:07:00 PM »
I love Sacramento, but I'm from there so I know I'm bias  :P I just adore it's downtown area though and that there are many great places close by that make great day trips. To me Sacramento has a smaller town feel but with bigger city conveniences which I loved. I miss it very very much. I moved to CO a little over a year and a half ago and the city I'm in now is just not comparable. I miss the pretty trees and good restaurants (and family and friends too of course).

But yeah any apartments there in that price range for rent are probably not going to be in a very nice neighborhood or be very nice apts.  -_-
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 01:10:28 PM by 3377345 »

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 05:35:25 PM »
Nothing in California is cheap, that's the problem.  ;)
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Eviecorn

• Chancellor Pudding Hat
  • Trade Count: (+38)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • Mister, would you please help my pony?
    • View Profile
    • Do-San-Ko Customs on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2013, 05:20:30 PM »
Yeah, CA isn't a cheap place to live, but it's awesome.  My best friend lives in Orange County and I absolutely love it there, but what they pay for rent ... I balked.

I like that someone else brought up Gilroy.  It's a really sweet place - not as exciting as other areas but still.

:glitter: :taco:  Throw caution to the wind and fart on it. :taco: :glitter:
Art commissions!

Offline MidnightMocha

• Trade Count: (+249)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • But the stars in the sky look like home
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:34:30 PM »
I love Sacramento, but I'm from there so I know I'm bias  :P I just adore it's downtown area though and that there are many great places close by that make great day trips. To me Sacramento has a smaller town feel but with bigger city conveniences which I loved. I miss it very very much. I moved to CO a little over a year and a half ago and the city I'm in now is just not comparable. I miss the pretty trees and good restaurants (and family and friends too of course).

But yeah any apartments there in that price range for rent are probably not going to be in a very nice neighborhood or be very nice apts.  -_-

Finally, someone speaking something good about my hometown ^^ I now live in Southern California though. But I definitely miss Sacramento all the time. But you're right, it's a place you can only love this much when you grow up there. What I love most is the proximity to everything. You want beach? Go an hour south. You want forest? Go to Marin Headlands an hour away. You want city? Again, an hour away. You want old historical gold mining towns? 30-40 minutes away. You want hiking and mountains? Again, Tahoe and the Sierras aren't far at all.

It's a central place with generally good people and it really is developing a LOT especially in the Roseville area. Worth checking out!
Will always trade for limited edition/90s Pikachu stuff!

pallas

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:02:02 PM »

500 to 600 in LA isn't going to happen without some roommates and really good deal.  Rents will start 700-800 for a 1bedroom in Hollywood or some of the Valley, if you want something in santa monica or brentwood it would be more like 1,200-1,800.  My friend just moved from a tiny 1bdr bungalow she was paying 1,600 or 1,800 to another place in Venice for 1,200 and that is a really good deal. 

Check out the rental sites and craigslist you may run into the occasional bargain.  Good luck.

Offline PhyllieBean

• Trade Count: (+37)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • an apparent glutton for dramaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 12:47:55 PM »
Nothing in California is cheap, that's the problem.  ;)

Werd.  Probably the most affordable you'll find within a decent distance to LA is going to be something inland empire.  Start with a search through San Bernardino county, but keep an eye on where.  The county is HUGE driving from one end to the other can take up the better part of a 5 hour drive, no joke.  But cities in San Bern that are near the LA line will give you easy access.  If you don't mind a little of a commute check out spots along I-15 as well.  I'd start with places like Riverside, Ontario and Glendora.  They're likely to be a little less expensive and not too bad of a commute.  Also check out Burbank, and even some parts of Valencia.  Those are both considered LA area, but you might be able to find some budget friendly options if you're...adventurous.  :P

And BTW, how have I been back on the Arena for like a year now and I'm JUST NOW SEEING YOU?!  *waves to Kelly*

Persona designed by Winged Fantasy with updated symbol by Pop-Girl (check my fancy av!)  Thanks ladies!

Offline Flitter

• Trade Count: (+74)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 04:23:34 PM »

You want beach? Go an hour south. You want forest? Go to Marin Headlands an hour away. You want city? Again, an hour away. You want old historical gold mining towns? 30-40 minutes away. You want hiking and mountains? Again, Tahoe and the Sierras aren't far at all.

It's a central place with generally good people and it really is developing a LOT especially in the Roseville area. Worth checking out!
Exactly!
Roseville is expanding a lot. I haven't been out since Aug. but there is a ton of stuff there now though I'm not sure I'm impressed with so many chain stores/restaurants but it certainly seems to be succeeding! I feel like what is happening there now is what Natomas wanted to do but is now failing at (I suppose a lot was due to being caught in the housing crisis though too). I wish they'd do something with that darn failing Downtown Plaza. I'm wondering how K Street is doing about now. I think they were gonna open up traffic again and try to clean it up and add some new stores in last I heard.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:27:04 PM by 3377345 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal