collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What do you see?  (Read 1553 times)

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: What do you see?
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2013, 07:30:28 PM »
I've become pretty ridiculously picky about the eyes, and it's practically a hardship to me. :P So it's good to see that other people are less so. I miss those days!

I SOOO get that! :hug:
My picky-ness can totally drain all the fun sometimes.. when a new doll arrives in the mail it's not 'WHEEE - SHE'S HERE!', but 'OMG-- please.. PLEASE be tolerable!! X_X'
Not judging here at all......but why have you both gotten this picky over time?  Especially if it's taking all the fun out of it?  That makes me kind of sad for you!   :cry:  Because while I don't want any of them with major flaws I still have a HUGE "Whhhheeeee - She's here" moment when I get a new doll!  I hope you guys can get that back somehow!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't speak for the others but i too have become pickier over time to the point where i dread buying new dolls. For me atleast its because in the begining i wasn't aware of the flaws but as time went on i got better at spotting them so even tiny flaws really stand out to me now >_< really doesn't help that i'm a perfectionist anyway. Thankfully the two dolls i bought before i became super picky (they were the only ones on the shelf at the time anyway) are still acceptable to me now... well mostly but i'm never satisfied XD
This for me too! :P My first few ghouls were perfect before I got super picky about their faces.

I like my dolls having perfect eyes and faces and I wanna get what I paid for, which is a doll with the perfect face. If there was a bad paint job flaw, I can't enjoy them because the whole time I'd be playing with them, The whole time, I'll just be thinking of how bad of a face quality they have.

When I get a new ghoul, I feel the rush and I feel like I "accomplished" something because I've been searching stores like crazy trying to find them and finally get them, but when I return home and she has wonk eye without checking, I feel like nothing was accomplished, and I'm just being taunted by the the flawed ghoul it's like they're staring back at me, going: "Yay you found me! lol jk, you got the bad one, I'm not perfect at all! So close, yet so far away, hurts doesn't it?! XD Now you gotta search again and return me to get a better one! Hope the next one doesn't have a bad face like I do. lol :P"
My Flickr Page
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2013, 07:31:25 PM »
I've become pretty ridiculously picky about the eyes, and it's practically a hardship to me. :P So it's good to see that other people are less so. I miss those days!

My picky-ness can totally drain all the fun sometimes.. when a new doll arrives in the mail it's not 'WHEEE - SHE'S HERE!', but 'OMG-- please.. PLEASE be tolerable!! X_X'
Not judging here at all......but why have you both gotten this picky over time?  Especially if it's taking all the fun out of it?  That makes me kind of sad for you!   :cry:  Because while I don't want any of them with major flaws I still have a HUGE "Whhhheeeee - She's here" moment when I get a new doll!  I hope you guys can get that back somehow!!! :hug: :hug: :hug:

I can't speak for the others but i too have become pickier over time to the point where i dread buying new dolls. For me atleast its because in the begining i wasn't aware of the flaws but as time went on i got better at spotting them so even tiny flaws really stand out to me now >_< really doesn't help that i'm a perfectionist anyway. Thankfully the two dolls i bought before i became super picky (they were the only ones on the shelf at the time anyway) are still acceptable to me now... well mostly but i'm never satisfied XD

^This exactly.

I don't know why, but I just can't stand it when a doll has a weird eye. Smudges I can tolerate, imperfect Make-Up I can tolerate. But Eyes that are looking in two different directions or are tilted or of different size just drives me batty. Once I have noticed it, it just cannot be unseen. LOL.

My Sig Howleen is worst. She has the common flaw where one of her eyes is looking up slightly while the other is looking straight. I never managed to find/get one without that flaw and since she's exclusive and was never released in germany it's costly. So I gave up eventually. Now she's living wrapped up in tissue paper in a box. I cannot sell her, for I want sig, but I cannot display her for I dread her weird eye. THIS IS HOW CRAZY THIS HAS GOTTEN, YOU GUYS! x'D

However, WHEN I find a perfect enough one it's quite a rush. I love that and I cherish my dolls. :>
It's just that it is quite a hunt to get one like that, LOL.

BTW LiquidCyanide, your Catrine is one of the prettiest I've seen so far!! :heart:

N'aaw thankyou! She's actually my second one, my first one had one eye higher and smaller than the other XD XD

Its the eyes for me too! I can't stand when one eye is bigger than the other so it looks like this >> o_O
Misalignment i can just about deal with so long as its not really noticable. *needs to check her Howleen now*
My Rochelle hasn't got the best paint, she has scratches through her eyelashes on one side and its a bit, not quite blurry, but not crisp perfect lines, but she was the only one i could find with suitably placed eyes so i <3 her anyway.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• Trade Count: (+82)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2013, 07:36:43 PM »
LiquidCyanide: Yeah, my Venus is like that. Some of her Lashes are a bit Fuzzy and the Eyeliner does not align perfectly with the Eyeshadow, but she was the only one out of like.. 30? 50? I've checked that had her eyes spot-on. So I could tolerate the somewhat flawed Make-Up. :3
(one day our grocery store suddenly was just BRIMFUL with her and Robecca so I had plenty to sort through. BF was going NUTS. LOL.)

I hope your Howleen is alright! :hug:
There ARE perfect ones. I'VE SEEN PICTURES. LOL. ..but they're rare. ;_;

Post Merge: March 12, 2013, 07:39:58 PM

This for me too! :P My first few ghouls were perfect before I got super picky about their faces.

I like my dolls having perfect eyes and faces and I wanna get what I paid for, which is a doll with the perfect face. If there was a bad paint job flaw, I can't enjoy them because the whole time I'd be playing with them, The whole time, I'll just be thinking of how bad of a face quality they have.

Yeah.. this is why I sometimes get really mad at Mattel. Selling Dolls like that.. but apparently it's just our tiny circle of super-anal-collectors that seems to mind. ;o;

When I get a new ghoul, I feel the rush and I feel like I "accomplished" something because I've been searching stores like crazy trying to find them and finally get them, but when I return home and she has wonk eye without checking, I feel like nothing was accomplished, and I'm just being taunted by the the flawed ghoul it's like they're staring back at me, going: "Yay you found me! lol jk, you got the bad one, I'm not perfect at all! So close, yet so far away, hurts doesn't it?! XD Now you gotta search again and return me to get a better one! Hope the next one doesn't have a bad face like I do. lol :P"

I LOL'ED. SO TRUE! x'D

« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:40:51 PM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
I'm extremely picky about wonky eyes and they both look fine to me.

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2013, 07:53:02 PM »
LiquidCyanide: Yeah, my Venus is like that. Some of her Lashes are a bit Fuzzy and the Eyeliner does not align perfectly with the Eyeshadow, but she was the only one out of like.. 30? 50? I've checked that had her eyes spot-on. So I could tolerate the somewhat flawed Make-Up. :3
(one day our grocery store suddenly was just BRIMFUL with her and Robecca so I had plenty to sort through. BF was going NUTS. LOL.)

Haha reminds me of when i got my werecat twins, i found the unopened shipping boxes as they'd just come in and i had LOADS to choose from XD I was sat on the floor of TRU surrounded by dolls examining them all, it was awesome! My dad was rolling his eyes at me saying i was like a kid in a toy shop :P Still didn't manage find a perfect set though so alas my Meowlody is slightly flawed -_-

I hope so too! She was an impulse buy and i only had 2 to choose from! I think i remember the other one having the weird eye issue you mentioned though.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2013, 07:59:32 PM »

Haha reminds me of when i got my werecat twins, i found the unopened shipping boxes as they'd just come in and i had LOADS to choose from XD I was sat on the floor of TRU surrounded by dolls examining them all, it was awesome! My dad was rolling his eyes at me saying i was like a kid in a toy shop :P Still didn't manage find a perfect set though so alas my Meowlody is slightly flawed -_-

I hope so too! She was an impulse buy and i only had 2 to choose from! I think i remember the other one having the weird eye issue you mentioned though.

The Werecats/TRU-Sets are the WORST!
I was confronted with like 30 Werecat-3-Packs like 3 or so weeks ago (funny thing, I was also stopping there with my dad. xD) and had him hold the better ones while I was going through all of them. I was concentrating on Tora mostly, but the quality-control on then is just HORRID. (I've seen several with eyes on their forehead/nose and with super duper fuzzy paint)
So I found one with an OK Tora, a Meowlody with a fuzzy nose that I can think I can repaint + a hair stuck in the white. UGH. And a somewhat cross-eyed Purrsephone. But it looks charming in a dorky way. So I chose them. LOL.

Werewolf-Sisters never made it here, so I had to buy via the internet. I got my first set from ebay, that's the one I kept since Clawdeen is basically flawless. Best I've ever seen. O_O
Later remembered that I could have asked people on here. I had a few offered but none were perfect enough to have me consider spending all the shipping money on her again. >-<
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 08:01:21 PM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2013, 08:06:32 PM »

The Werecats/TRU-Sets are the WORST!
I was confronted with like 30 Werecat-3-Packs like 3 or so weeks ago (funny thing, I was also stopping there with my dad. xD) and had him hold the better ones while I was going through all of them. I was concentrating on Tora mostly, but the quality-control on then is just HORRID. (I've seen several with eyes on their forehead/nose and with super duper fuzzy paint)
So I found one with an OK Tora, a Meowlody with a fuzzy nose that I can think I can repaint + a hair stuck in the white. UGH. And a somewhat cross-eyed Purrsephone. But it looks charming in a dorky way. So I chose them. LOL.

Werewolf-Sisters never made it here, so I had to buy via the internet. I got my first set from ebay, that's the one I kept since Clawdeen is basically flawless. Best I've ever seen. O_O
Later remembered that I could have asked people on here. I had a few offered but none were perfect enough to have me consider spending all the shipping money on her again. >-<

Haha i had my dad holding them too, he kept mixing them up, he said they all looked the same to him :lol:

Oh multiple doll packs, the bane of the picky collectors existance!

Offline LuvlyMelody

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2013, 08:08:46 PM »
I had to go through 15+ of the regular werecat twins set to find the only ONE perfect set that they had. My howleen also has that bad eye wonk, didn't realize it until I did a DEEP Inspection to really notice it. Sadly, she' the only one I have who has an eye wonk that I know about, but don't even notice it. Kinda weird that it's like that.
My Flickr Page

My Little Pony Checklist/Wishlist | Monster High Checklist/Wishlistvisitors can't see pics , please register or login

| For Sale | Wanted |

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2013, 08:21:46 PM »
Haha i had my dad holding them too, he kept mixing them up, he said they all looked the same to him :lol:

Oh multiple doll packs, the bane of the picky collectors existance!

My Dad used to be a model-maker, so I think I got that pickyness from him. LOL. He's INSANELY accurate when building things and can see without measuring if anything is off by half a millimeter.
Not much of a help, still.. as he kept pointing out the flaws the set I eventually chose had. LOL. We both agreed that it was the best they had, tho. ;>

"Oh multiple doll packs, the bane of the picky collectors existance!!" <- INDEED! I hate them.. -_-

I had to go through 15+ of the regular werecat twins set to find the only ONE perfect set that they had. My howleen also has that bad eye wonk, didn't realize it until I did a DEEP Inspection to really notice it. Sadly, she' the only one I have who has an eye wonk that I know about, but don't even notice it. Kinda weird that it's like that.

Yeah, so many of them have it, apparently. ;_;
I always TRY to unsee it, sometimes I succeed, but it always keeps crawling back into my mind. LOL. Luckily my DC version is flawless. :D

AH, so good to meet other picky people. XD
I think I'll have to hire one of you to pick up one of those DC-5-Packs when they come out. LOL. I already dread the release since I need it but I'll have to import it. xD
(but I'll take chances, I even WANT two, since I've seen the most perfect repaint of Gil once and I want to do something similar. LOL.)
*already imagines having to buy 5+ packs to get a good group of ghouls together* ... *at least they won't be released over here so I can sell on ebay for €€€. LOL* ^^;

Offline Keelee_von_Cupcake

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2013, 01:08:17 PM »

Aww, thanks for the wishes. :hug: It doesn't take all the fun out of it for me, but it has made getting new dolls MUCH harder. I too always open a new doll from the internets with trepidation and intense hope that she'll actually be acceptable to me, eek!

OhmyRA, Kim, I completely feel your pain! I have not one, but TWO 2.0 Lagoonas just...sitting in their boxes in the top shelf of my closet. Both of them have unacceptably wonky eyes to me. But I seriously want to own this doll. So every once in a while, I take them down from the shelf and look at them, hoping (perhaps a sign of my apparent impending madness...) that somehow, this time, one of them will be okay enough to keep! ...But no. I can't even choose which one is worse, and get rid of that one! The more I look at them to try and decide that the worse they both look until all I see is Picasso-face! XD (They're really not THAT bad.)

But yes, it is a massive relief and a thrill when you finally find that perfect doll, or at least a doll that charms you enough to look past her flaws. :heart: A doll with a flaw that I can't look past, though, I simply CANNOT bond with. And it's no fun to have a doll you just can't love.

I'm not 100% sure why I've become this way, but I figure it has to do with a few things. I'd never collected dolls before, so it didn't even occur to me to check for flaws. The more flaws I learned existed, the more I knew I had to check for, or my brand new just-out-of-the-box doll might not actually be perfect! o.O

Totally terrified to look more closely at the older parts of my collection with my new, more critical eyes! :P (Luckily, the ones I haven't been able to stop myself with, I've still found to be good. Phew!)

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2013, 06:52:51 PM »
OhmyRA, Kim, I completely feel your pain! I have not one, but TWO 2.0 Lagoonas just...sitting in their boxes in the top shelf of my closet. Both of them have unacceptably wonky eyes to me. But I seriously want to own this doll. So every once in a while, I take them down from the shelf and look at them, hoping (perhaps a sign of my apparent impending madness...) that somehow, this time, one of them will be okay enough to keep! ...But no. I can't even choose which one is worse, and get rid of that one! The more I look at them to try and decide that the worse they both look until all I see is Picasso-face! XD (They're really not THAT bad.)

I don't know if this will help any, but 2.0 Lagoona is awful for wonky eyes, both the first release and the second. i don't think i've ever seen one (even in pictures!) with unwonky eyes :( I have her and whilst i don't think she's too bad her eyes are definately not perfectly placed. I've learned that as crazy and picky as i am, sometimes i just have to accept that certain releases ARE flawed and theres no way around it if i want to own the doll. You just have to choose the best out of what you can find and have the knowledge that you've got the best out of the possible ones you could have had.

Offline Fräulein_Kim

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Glows in the Dark
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2013, 06:56:45 PM »

I don't know if this will help any, but 2.0 Lagoona is awful for wonky eyes, both the first release and the second. i don't think i've ever seen one (even in pictures!) with unwonky eyes :( I have her and whilst i don't think she's too bad her eyes are definately not perfectly placed. I've learned that as crazy and picky as i am, sometimes i just have to accept that certain releases ARE flawed and theres no way around it if i want to own the doll. You just have to choose the best out of what you can find and have the knowledge that you've got the best out of the possible ones you could have had.

^This. ;O;
Toralei is notorious for it, too.. never seen one with PERFECT eyes. Just 'close enough'.

Oddly enough, I hardly EVER have trouble with Goona.

Almost all of mine HAVE wonk eyes, however, since she's supposed to be a seamonster.. and lots of fish just have that hollow, wall-eyed look to their eyes.. it just adds up in my mind somehow. LOL.
When I got my SS Goona as a freebie from a webstore I ordered.. and she has PERFECT eyes.. I was like 'WHAT IS THIS.. this is not looking like Goona at all. It looks soooooo.. too.. INTELLIGENT. (I'm so mean, I know.. xD *pats Goonas*)

OH AND BTW, I LOVE THE TERM 'PICASSO FACE'! - I seriously laught out aloud upon reading it. xD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 06:59:31 PM by Fräulein_Kim »

Offline LiquidCyanide

• Dance N' Prance Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2013, 07:04:50 PM »
Thats similar to how i justify my SO Frankie! Her green eye is slightly bigger than her blue but she's supposed to be sewed together, so it makes sense for it to be mismatched.

Offline pukunui

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • And the Trogdor comes in the niiiiiiiiight!!!
    • View Profile
    • pehr design & photography
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
My 2.0 Lagoona's eyes are uneven too. One of them is higher than the other. The worst one I've ever seen had her eyes partly down on her cheeks.

The worst Lagoona for QC in my experience, though, is the Mad Science doll. I have yet to see one that did not have one of the following problems: messed up freckles, messed up eyes, messed up ear piercings, or messed up hair.

I've had two: the first one I bought had her jaws pierced instead of her ears (and one was around the middle of her ear rather than down near the bottom too). I sent that one back and bought another. Her face and ear piercings were fine, but she's thinly rooted on top and had a wee bit of glue seepage that made the thin spots more noticeable (luckily I was able to get rid of it was some tea tree oil).

Offline michelle53

• Winger Fanatic!!
  • Trade Count: (+166)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Official Winger Nut
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2013, 07:08:20 AM »
*shrugs*. For a $15-20 toy, I think they're pretty darn amazing.  If these dolls were hand painted, not many of us would be able to afford them.  Considering all the detail that goes into each character, I think Mattel does a terrific job making these dolls both interesting and affordable. 

Thank you Behemoth for my beautiful siggy!
HEY [you]! CHECK OUT MY EBAY SALES!!
http://www.ebay.com/usr/momlilyaria?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal