collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Equestria Girls  (Read 14035 times)

Offline Shenanigans

• Trade Count: (+73)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Equestria Girls
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2013, 03:05:59 PM »
I'm willing to give this whole idea a shot as long as it's separate from the FIM series :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
My Wish List

Offline StarlightGaze

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Princess Luna admirer
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2013, 03:14:46 PM »
The more I think about how Hasbro intends this to be MLP's 30th anniversary thing, the more upset I feel about it. It's not really meant for pony fans...

Offline STLGusty

• Hockey Pony
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2013, 03:17:22 PM »

I'm pretty sure that with Faust's influence, this whole thing would've worked out much, much, MUCH better.

I'm pretty sure if Lauren had a say, this trainwreck would have never made it off the drawing board.

Nothing personal, you guys, but this Faust worship needs to stop. This brand is owned by Hasbro and Hasbro decides what happens to the brand. Faust successfully revamped what has already been there to begin with, she didn't come up with the idea of MLP on her own and then got ripped off by Hasbro. Also, she left on her own, she wasn't kicked out or anything.

Why not just wait and see what this new franchise will be abaout instead of declaring it a massive fail just because it was obviously designed to compete with other toy company's material.

I'd have to agree with Zapper on this...definitely.

Also, I'm not a big doll person - never have been.  When this actually comes out, I'm not sure how my brain will react.  Right now I'm kind of viewing it not necessarily as a true My Little Pony branch (even if it under the My Little Pony namesake).  Even though I'm questioning whether or not I'd actually buy these products/dolls, I don't see anything necessarily wrong with Hasbro branching out and trying to compete in the "doll" market with an already well-established base (well - sort of, lol).  Why not try to capitalize from a business standpoint?

I won't knock the idea, and I won't flip out about it... If I end up not liking it, I simply just won't buy the products or watch that particular show.  On the flip side, I mgiht watch the show and love it...  Time will tell.  I'm willing to see what becomes of it.

(But don't get me wrong, ponies are still number one in my book...)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 02, 2013, 03:21:49 PM »
I am probably in the minority where I think it could be a potential good thing.

I kind of have doubts that I'd like the show, but I don't want to judge it without seeing it.

This is why I think it has potential to be good: I think it could bring in more traffic and viewers for the main show. (This is just a spin-off, not a replacement). And more viewers could bring more potential fans (of all age groups). Kind of like silly soda pop flavors that are around for a "limited time", they bring in good advertisement for the brand in general-- even if it's a flop or not.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline egyptiondragon

• Secret Mythic Flygon
  • Trade Count: (+35)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Flying with dragons on a moonbeam
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 02, 2013, 03:41:08 PM »
this means most likely they will make pony dolls

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 02, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »
I'm not a big doll person but... there are a few dolls that actually tempt me.  I'll just wait and see.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline ShannonInPonyland

• Trade Count: (+29)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 02, 2013, 03:56:52 PM »
I really can't stand this idea -_-

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »
PS: Femmephobia is disgusting. Just because this will be most likely set in a school doesn't mean that it is going to be only about "omg drama drama, I like a boy, I am too fat" subjects.
Relax, give it a chance. If it turns out to be sucky you still have enough time to hate on it *fg*

I <3 you, Zapper :inlove:

Also, I personally don't like the style of the designs which says nothing about them objectively, but the designers also really failed to implement the personality of the characters into the designs. You can't just use colours and cutie mark tattoos to get across the idea that this is X character. For example, Rarity has the plainest outfit of them all, yet she's the fashionista. They couldn't jazz her up a bit with a scarf or cool jewellery? And why no pants? There is absolutely nothing wrong with skirts, but in a group of 6 very different girls, RD and AJ are probably going to be pant/short wearers (and I don't buy the "but a uniform" idea since they obviously aren't wearing the same styles). Or then there's the fact that all the outfits are very similar. Why can't one be wearing a longer skirt and shoes? I won't write off the show entirely, but I am certainly going in very hesitant since I am not liking what I am seeing.

Also, if this is the 30th anniversary celebration of pony, I am going to be very disappointed.

They're definitely very "safe", but I can't entirely blame Hasbro for going that road, and keeping them simple and all close to the same look for the first run of the line. Even Mattel wasn't super out there, relatively speaking, with the first MH dolls. And I think I feel like they're rather schoolgirl-uniform-esque not because they are uniforms but rather because the similar skirt + shirt + boots shape unifies the line, while leaving room for personalizing each character (a little). I certainly agree they could've done lots more--but I do like what there is (Fluttershy's puffy skirt, RD's sneaker-boots, Rarity's sleeker-chic A-line skirt plus belt, Applejack's denim). It'll be really interesting to see how the art translates into actual dolls, and whether what character-specific details there are, will be prominent.

Also... I am kinda OCD and I like series of things that match, so I'm sure that's partly why I think it's cute that they're same-but-different :biggrin:

And (not singling anyone out, but just in response to the general sentiment) I truly don't see how this spin-off ruins MLP when isn't replacing MLP. If it DOES replace actual ponies, then yeah, that would suck. I would also think that would suck. A lot. But there's no indication of that happening, so I'm not going to catastrophize.

And if these turn out to be crap, we can all ignore them; if not, we can either ignore them... or enjoy them as well as ponies. I think everybody can coexist. :)
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline Summerlycoris

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2013, 04:20:34 PM »
I don't really know about these, the series could be interesting if they keep the varied personalities of the original ponies. As long as they're not reduced from rounded to flat characters and pony stuff keeps being released in tandem, then it could turn out well.
I'll have to see later on if I buy the toys though, I used to collect Barbies years ago (though they're all gone now) and I'm not that interested in picking up another set of human dolls to replace them.

Thanks to Shenanigans and Princess Starburst for this awesome signature and to sunnyrain for my avatar. And my Newbie Swap list is here.

Offline svleonard

• Trade Count: (+194)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2013, 04:28:56 PM »
DO NOT WANT.  :mad:

Offline Ice Crystal

• Trade Count: (+43)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 02, 2013, 04:30:17 PM »
They're definitely very "safe", but I can't entirely blame Hasbro for going that road, and keeping them simple and all close to the same look for the first run of the line. Even Mattel wasn't super out there, relatively speaking, with the first MH dolls. And I think I feel like they're rather schoolgirl-uniform-esque not because they are uniforms but rather because the similar skirt + shirt + boots shape unifies the line, while leaving room for personalizing each character (a little). I certainly agree they could've done lots more--but I do like what there is (Fluttershy's puffy skirt, RD's sneaker-boots, Rarity's sleeker-chic A-line skirt plus belt, Applejack's denim). It'll be really interesting to see how the art translates into actual dolls, and whether what character-specific details there are, will be prominent.

You know, despite all my reflecting on this line, I didn't consider that. Excellent point!

I also forgot that they will probably have different outfits to buy, and hopefully there will be outfit changes in the show (although I would understand if not--there rarely are in cartoons. They do have a fashion designer among them, though).

SalesWants
LOOKING FOR: "Quick" Rarity, Salty's accesories & Wavedancer's shell.
Please PM me if you have any of these for sale!

Offline Zombelina

• Scarily Ever After
  • Trade Count: (+67)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 02, 2013, 04:59:07 PM »
I also forgot that they will probably have different outfits to buy, and hopefully there will be outfit changes in the show (although I would understand if not--there rarely are in cartoons. They do have a fashion designer among them, though).

Yeah, that's right! There's so much opportunity for awesome fashion packs... a Designed by Rarity line perhaps? I really hope they take full advantage of the possibilities, even if they keep the characters always in the same simple outfits in the cartoon, which is definitely understandable animation-wise XD It'll be very disappointing if Hasbro stays playing it safe instead of really developing this concept.

(Oh and I just want to note that I think this discussion and critique is awesome, critique is always good! And dislike is always legit... I just don't feel there's any reason for distress :))
:heart: sales/trades ~ on hiatus :heart:

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:24 PM »
Oh no, I think this is the end of G4 for me. :(  Back exclusively to G1 collecting soon, I fear.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #88 on: March 02, 2013, 05:06:33 PM »
Yeah, for being "fashion dolls" the fashions are . . . not very inspired.  I really don't think they are going to be able to compete with Monster High if that is representative of the outfits.  (And who knows, maybe they won't be, but that's what they've shown us so far.)   If you look at the original Monster High dolls, their outfits were much more creative and individualized, IMO.

Compared with:

The second one is like someone said, "Uh, what do girls wear, anyway?  Like, skirts, right?"
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 05:08:05 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline DazzleKitty

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+93)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 02, 2013, 05:11:48 PM »
Ya know, I love MH, and if these dolls are anything like MH in terms of being ball-jointed and having new characters, I may be interested. But I don't these to be THE new MLP, ya know? I want ponies to still be made.....new characters mainly. But I cannot lie.....I think they will make pretty dolls if done right. But I don't want this to be  the only MLP line left.
My Wishlist
3DS FC: 5284-1682-0844

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal